Which position has more impact? (1 Viewer)

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
When you consider the upcoming draft, the quality of players left in free agency, our needs on defense, and the drop off in talent from "top rated" guys to the 3,4,5th rated guys, I guess all things aside, you have to first consider which position is most important. Another way of asking is which position has the most impact, or contribution, or importance to the overall success of our defense?

When asked that way, I have to believe that our two biggest needs on defense are a young, dominant, quality DT and a young, dominant, cover CB. We have the need for S and WLB, but for the sake of discussion, lets stay with the two biggest that will polarize us leading up to the draft.

It has been very obvious, for anyone to see, how terrible our CB play has been. The point in a passing play where a catch is made after the corner has been beaten is, to me, the culmination of a play. For our corners to be beat, and for a catch to be made, a QB has to have time to throw the ball. If we had, say Marcus Stroud and John Henderson, do you think our DE's would be able to get to the QB a little easier? The Jags have had plenty of sacks from that position the last few years. Having stout DT's also allows LB's to reach the QB on three step drops unimpeded. We have seen this against Baltimore, Carolina, Pittsburg, and Chicago. Drew is infamous for one two three throw, before anyone has the chance to touch him. Not so against these teams. Care to guess why?

Against these same teams, we have had trouble running the ball. Again, care to guess why? Look at Minnesota's run defense, Jacksonville's going back a few years when Stroud was healthy, and you see the common denominator is 1-2 dominant DT's plugging everything up in the middle. Great DT play garners double teams, allowing one on one matchups for DE's and LB's to penetrate and make plays. Many times a blocker has to choose between DE and LB, and one of them makes it to the QB untouched, before even a handoff or hot route can be executed. When was the last time we had that?

A great CB can shut down half the field. Those are few and far inbetween. A good CB will make plays here and there, but if you give a QB enough time, will eventually fail. Look at Denver with Bailey and Bly, of San Francisco with their two, or even Green Bay, Chicago, Baltimore and Philidelphia--- all of which have a very good CB tandem. Denver and San Fran obviously had problems getting pressure on opposing QB's and for all the star power at CB got beaten consistantly in the air. The other teams, Green Bay aside, got thrown on pretty well, especially when they struggled to get pressure. The point is, unless you have a once in a generation CB, you need a solid defensive line and LB corp to play well and give the CB a chance to make a play on a hurried pass. Ronde Barber makes a large impact on running plays, as do most Tampa cover 2 style CB's. Essentially, they take the place of a safety in run support, which is why they are usually on the big side, like around 200 lbs.

A great DT is disruptive on both passing and running plays. Nothing forces a QB into a mistake more than interior pressure. Nothing disheartens a team more when they can't run it up the middle and establish the line of scrimmage. NOTHING HELPS A CB MORE THAN A DOMINANT DT. Can anyone make a valid point otherwise? Even in a 34 defense (Jamal Williams, SD, Vince Wilfork NE, Casey Hampton Pittsburg) the DT is the starting point for those defenses. You can't be successful in a 34 without a really good and capable DT. The same rule applys to the 43; it just isn't as obvious to the fan when he sees the CB getting burnt often. You just notice the end result, and not what led up to it. Ask any general manager, "which would you rather, Jamal Williams/Warren Sapp (34/43) or Asante Samuels/Nate Clements (man/zone) all in their prime?" and I would bet that the overwhelming majority would say the dominant DT, if not all.

The point is that a DT makes an immediate impact at the line of scrimmage, every single play, wether it be pass or run. A CB doesn't. I know we need a CB desperately, but Hollis Thomas is past his prime and Bryan Young is undersized and not getting in bigger, any stronger, or any better. They have already reached and passed their potential. I don't care what scheme we chose to run on defense, having these guys as our starting DT's means that Will Smith and Charles Grant will not put up the sack numbers they are capable of. Vilma, Fujita, and WLB will not be able to get to the QB or RB quickly or cleanly on a consistant basis, like when we need it most. And Mike McKenzie and whoever is going to be our second corner will be left out there defending against the pass for far too long.

We must go after DT. The problem with the draft and free agency is that there are only two difference makers left that you can go to bed with no doubts or regrets after adding, and those are Ellis and Dorsey. After them, the talent drop off is drastic. Balmer is a bad, bad choice, and if the top two are gone, we should hope to get someone like Simms in the second or third round, which is like settling for a mazda miata instead of a porsche. There are two dominant DT's; and very likely they won't make it to 10. We do not plan on picking this high very often, so when you have a shot at a dominant DT, you damn well better do all that is in your power to get him. They don't come along very often.

At corner, no one can decide who is best. No one has even mentioned or compared anyone to being the next Champ Bailey or Deion Sanders. CB is kind of like drafting QB. The risk and failures are much higher than at DT in round one. You may bring up Sullivan, but he wasn't one of the top DT's and had the same red flags Balmer has. Haslett settled on him becuase the Jets leapfrogged us for the guy we wanted. The fact that he was chosen where he was doesn't reconcile the fact that no one had him rated that high and no one said he was a can't miss. Mike Mayok's top 5 CB's are McKlevin, Talib, Jenkins, DRC, and Flowers. This board has made a bid for every one as the top CB. I don't see all these guys going in round one, and one of them will almost postively be there at 41. Trade our third round pick if we must to NE for the seventh pick and grab either Ellis or Dorsey, whoever is left.

By the way, those concerned with Dorsey's health need only watch the National Championship. The guy played lights out and had three sacks. Oh, he was also doubleteamed most of the time. Any more concerns?

I think that in order for either postion to have an impact, you've got to have at least an average to above average player at the other position. If your CB's are like ours, then it won't matter how great the DT is because they can just dump it off at the 5 yard mark and work their way down the field.

If your DT and D Line aren't getting any pressure like ours....they'll pick you apart all day long down field.

You need to have balance and that's our problem right now....we get no pressure from our D line, we have one legitimate LB and one legitimate CB. When that happens, our defense is the one constantly caught off guard trying to fill holes. Now, with the addition of Vilma, that helps our LBs out, which should help to apply pressure to the QB and give a second or two less for the QB to go through his reads. With a good DT, that closes gaps for the RB and makes their TE have to help out on the line, allowing our DEs to apply pressure and the MLB to shoo the gap and go after the QB. This forces the QB to MAYBE have time for option 1 or MAYBE option 2, thus shutting down Option 3 and making the playing field more even and our CBs only having to cover to 3 seconds instead of 5...BIG DIFFERENCE. No one can run 40 yards in three seconds. How many plays did we give up last year over 20 yards?????

So, all in all I do agree, that DT "CAN" have a greater impact, but it will take one of each to really change the game and get us out of the 30th ranked pass defense! BTW...who needs to run it when you can throw it with ease all day?? I firmly believe that is why our run defense looked so good last year...very misleading. With balance, we can have those under 100 yards rushing allowed AND get more INTs because we force the QB to try and avoid the sack and throw it up!

I still want to see our DB's spend time on the juggs machine and learn how to freakin' catch!!!!! INTs = turnovers....NOT passes defended and putting the offense in 3rd and long only to complete it and start all over AGAIN!

I do agree we need both, almost equally. With the talent level at each position in THIS draft though, I believe the top rated DT is as sure of a sure thing as we can get. I also believe if we traded up or somehow wound up with either Dorsey or Ellis without doing so, that we can get one of the top 5 corners in round two. I also believe the talent seperation between the 2nd and 3rd DT is much greater and impactful than the seperation between the first ranked CB and fifth ranked CB. I support his conclusion with the fact that no one can decide which is which definitively, when there is no question whatsoever concerning who the top two DT's are and how long they will be there.

The only other point I will make concerns the 5 yard dump off pass or hot read. A very good and youthful LB corp remedies this. Between a very good Dline and very smart and above average LB, New England won a Superbowl with Randall Gay starting at CB. Fast forward a few years to a much older LB corp, and New England lost a Superbowl with Asante Samuels in his prime. That kind of ties it all together for me. Nice points Chad Moore! Thanks for a well thought out response.

I agree i would take a Dt over a CB but know this, No one throws to Champ Bailey's side. that is nice to section off the field that much. Now if we can get some one like that in the second would make my dreams come true.

One thing to remember is we want a Turnover generating defense. A good front 7 delivers this. our secondary last year was playing down b/c we needed them in run support. Simoneau and shanle weren't cutting it. It's time to fix that. A DT and a WLB that would be nice in round 1 and 2. we haven't had a good Dt since La roi and a good LB since mark fields.

Last edited:
I agree with DT over CB but I would not trade up to make sure that I have my choice. I would stand pat and select the BPA that fills my needs.

I really don't like trading draft picks.

A team needs young players for lots of reasons. Remember the enthusiasm with which the team played in 2006. The team had lots of rookies contributing to what was happening. In 2007 they didn't and the team seemed to lack that enthusiasm.

You can't forget the cap implications either. Not only would trading up to #7 mean that you are paying that player more than you if you had selected him at #10 but it also means that the player who would have been drafted with the other pick will probably be replaced by a veteran player who will probably be more expensive.

Special teams is also an issue. The draft is a huge resource for young players who are able to play special teams. It always seems as though teams who have good special teams are young. I would guess that it is because those young players are willing to give a bit extra in order to make the team where a veteran is not quite willing to do the same.

The front 7 is the most important part of the D. I would take Dorsey or Ellis over any CB in the draft. If they aren't there, and I'm not particularly sold on Rivers, then you take the highest rated CB, either McKelvin or DRC.

The Saints have nobody at CB. The DT's are backup quality atleast. Draft Cromartie and trade up to get Laws.

There is no question that the Saints' pass rush needs to improve. Improvement in that area would improve the CB play. That the front office went after a pass rushing DE (McCray) and a middle-tier CB (Gay) tells me that they want to play it that way--focused on the pass rush. As for the draft, it depends on who is the BPA: a CB or a DT? Personally, I hope it's a DT, but I also don't want them to reach for inferior talent when an eventual star CB could be drafted.

Champ Bailey doesn't "shut down" one side of the field. That is a myth repeated by television announcers, but when you watch the game, people do throw to his side.

No cornerback ever did that... however, it wasn't uncommon for teams to have one great corner and one average one, and the average one got picked on more.

There are a bunch of corners with similar skills grouped together from the middle of the first round through the second. I don't see a single corner worth drafting in the top 10.

I don't buy the hype on DRC... I've seen too many guys who run fast and jump high in shorts and t-shirts, but can't play football at the high level their draft selection called for.

Take either of the top two defensive tackles, or try to trade down... if you can't find a trading partner, then BPA.

If he is an offensive lineman, so be it.

I almost agree, I have been saying the corners we have are adequate as long as the D-line is good. Particularly the tackle position. Get the tackles in our defense to be disruptive similar to the 2006 season and our corners won't look so horrible.

It's just so difficult to find the typical shutdown corner with all the rules they have to adhere to. It's much easier to get pressure from the front 7 in some way than to get 1 pure "shutdown corner".

When asked that way, I have to believe that our two biggest needs on defense are a young, dominant, quality DT and a young, dominant, cover CB. We have the need for S and WLB, but for the sake of discussion, lets stay with the two biggest that will polarize us leading up to the draft.

I know yu want to keep it between CB and DT, but thought I'd share this. The same question was posed to Mike D. on WWL last week and he said he would definately take a LBer over a CB any day of the week. His reasoning was that a LBer helps in many phases of the game like covering recievers, stopping the run and rushing the passer, while a CB only helps in one of those three(covering recievers). I tend to agree with that line of thinking.

I know it's trendy to think Rivers is not worth a pick at 10 but is at 12-15(confusing to me), but the thought of shoring up our LBing Corps is too much for me to pass up. IMO, Rivers is the pick.

I think Rivers makes the defense better this year more than any other pick in the draft, including Dorsey/Ellis.......but Dorsey/Ellis makes us better in the future.

IMO, If we get a LBer and DT in rounds 1 and 2 we will have a very, very strong front 7.......that will hide any deficiency we have in the back 4.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom