Poll Which (QB) Scenario Do You WANT To Happen? (1 Viewer)

Which (QB) Scenario Do You WANT To Happen?

• Drew signs, Teddy leaves, Taysom signs, Saints draft QB or pick up cheap vet

Votes: 118 59.6%
  • Drew signs, Teddy signs, Taysom signs

Votes: 41 20.7%
  • Drew retires, Teddy signs, Taysom signs, Saints draft QB or pick up cheap vet

Votes: 16 8.1%
  • Drew retires, Teddy leaves, Taysom Signs, Saints draft QB AND pick up cheap vet

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Other (please post idea)

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
All truth. Except VY... I'm sure by now he's past his prime. Please dont start a Vince Young vs Taysom thread.

And that's the crux of it. Would Teddy continue to develop? If so, and he's your guy, then how much is that worth. QB is the hardest position to find a quality player, and LT is a long distance 2nd. So in that case, do you keep all 3 and let other players go? SS's and RB's are a fine a dozen compared to QBs.
What is growth? A winning record, playoffs?

All truth. Except VY... I'm sure by now he's past his prime. Please dont start a Vince Young vs Taysom thread.

And that's the crux of it. Would Teddy continue to develop? If so, and he's your guy, then how much is that worth. QB is the hardest position to find a quality player, and LT is a long distance 2nd. So in that case, do you keep all 3 and let other players go? SS's and RB's are a fine a dozen compared to QBs.

I don't see why anyone would think Teddy won't continue to develop. He's got 34 total starts, 28 of which were in one of the most ridiculously awful and conservative offensive systems in a decade, no hyperbole.

He's probably about where a 2nd year player after his rookie year would be on the development curve. He's started five games in an actual NFL offense, played extremely well, and showed continuing improvement throughout. He is an instant top 12 starting NFL quarterback with potential for much more. Do I think he'll be Drew Brees or Tom Brady? Probably not. But if we're going to ignore really good QBs in the effort to find a once-in-50-lifetimes QB, things are going to suck, perhaps for a long time.

My personal preference right now:

1. Drew stays one more year. As much as he’s regressed, he’s still at an elite level and naming more than maybe 5 better quarterbacks in the league is not possible. A true testament to his greatness that with limited strength left in his arm, he’s able to stay at the upper tier of the NFL.

2. Let Teddy walk. So grateful for the effort and energy he gave during his time here, but he needs and deserves a chance to start in the NFL. Keeping all three is likely not an option, and he’s the least “must sign” of the three. Not to mention his exit would likely lead to a compensatory draft pick.

3. Re-sign Taysom at all cost. Even if the cost is Drew, Taysom’s value to the Saints right now goes even beyond what happens on the field. He’s a player that ignites the fan base and changes the game regardless of role. I don’t necessarily think he’s the true QBotF that many do, but his versatility and the sets he can run give this offense an added dimension.

4. Draft Cole McDonald. Developmental dice role, but I love his arm.

1. Drew stays one more year. As much as he’s regressed, he’s still at an elite level and naming more than maybe 5 better quarterbacks in the league is not possible. A true testament to his greatness that with limited strength left in his arm, he’s able to stay at the upper tier of the NFL.

2. Let Teddy walk. So grateful for the effort and energy he gave during his time here, but he needs and deserves a chance to start in the NFL. Keeping all three is likely not an option, and he’s the least “must sign” of the three. Not to mention his exit would likely lead to a compensatory draft pick.

3. Re-sign Taysom at all cost. Even if the cost is Drew, Taysom’s value to the Saints right now goes even beyond what happens on the field. He’s a player that ignites the fan base and changes the game regardless of role. I don’t necessarily think he’s the true QBotF that many do, but his versatility and the sets he can run give this offense an added dimension.

Saw Cole in his bowl game. Good looking prospect.

LOL I was actually going to ask you to clarify but didn't want to jack your thread, and yet here we are. My bad.

In a real "all things considered" world I'd vote for keep Teddy and Taysom and let them battle it out. While I do think that Drew gives us the best chance to win next year, I don't think we have a real chance to win a chip with him, and I'd rather we just start looking toward the future now.

When Teddy wins the job, you have Taysom as a backup and of course maintaining his gadget player status. We have at worst an above average QB and potentially a top tier QB if he follows the same development curve under Payton that Brees did (his stats this year look a lot like 2006 Brees).

I just don't want to get on the quarterback roulette wheel. Saints fans take for granted that we have had good QB play for 13 years now. It's not something that you just pluck out of thin air - not even if you're Sean Payton. And it sucks that we're almost certain to have to drop a proven, above-average NFL starter because of timing and circumstance. There are only about 10 of those guys on the entire planet. We have two of them, and we can only keep 1. So it goes.

And of course bring VY in to compete as well.

If we have any chance of winning the Superbowl in the next few years, it's with Drew. Moving on next year to Teddy is a guaranteed no chance.

We came real close last year and I don't see any reason we can't do it next.

In my Fantasy Land we sign Rodger Goodell to play QB during live tackling drills.

We all know it's coming, so I have the mindset of Drew retiring, we sign Taysom, draft a QB on move on. And to be honest, it will spark new interest for this fan base. Shake things up. Just my two cents.

Careful Now, the Patriots may be on the lookout for a QB, and Taysom might be a Bellichek target with high upfront to throw us in CAP Hell so we have to let Taysom walk because we cannot sign our other young talent. I saw the scenario on an earlier post with Florio and Peter King stating this possibility.
So anyone can sign Taysom to an offer sheet with the high first year to shake us out of the Taysom game. What do we do then ?

What he said......

I know that this is a bit of a cop-out, but I have always tried to remove myself from trying to decide what I'd like to see happen in the way of player personnel. There is no way that I could ever know more about the players' skills and/or their hit to the salary cap more than Payton & Loomis, and these are the guys who will live & die by the decisions that they will make year in & year out.

It's very easy to say that Drew should always be brought back to play under center no matter what we have to spend to get him signed. But I believe that there has to be a realistic limit to what can be spent to keep him on board. I would love to have Teddy under center just as long as our staff is convinced that he can excel as the Saints new QB. And I think it is impossible to know if Coach Payton was being serious as to whether he really believes that Taysom Hill is our QB of the future. If he really believes this, then it would seem very unlikely that they wouldn't do all they can to keep him on the roster at such an important position.

The thing is that I'm going to back whatever decision is made on the three guys we have now and I'll also support whomever may be brought in to get a chance to compete for the job. I trust that our team of highly paid experts will make the decisions that will give us the best chance to win football games. Because complaining about the staff making moves that differ from mine isn't going to change the roster one bit. We are still one of the better franchises in the league and are led to believe that we have one of the best front offices in the NFL. So I will be happy with whatever happens unless we can see that they clearly got the rug pulled out from under them in their effort to make deals.

Let's hope not.

Last edited:
Drew re-signs on a 1 year deal, Saints sign Taysom Hill to a 4 year extension, and they draft Arizona QB Khalil Tate on Day 3.

Drew starts 2020-2021 season, Taysom Hill plays the “Taysom Hill” role (expanded) on offense, and Khalil Tate is the bench warming “backup” while he learns the system and the NFL game.

2021-2022 season... Taysom Hill is the Saints starter, with Khalil Tate as his backup.

This team is built for life without Drew, we've positioned ourselves with prospects to replace him, the time is now as we can move on with either QB and still win because of the overall talent and ability of the team.....let's move on to the Payton/Hill era.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom