Which QB You would like to see lead the Saints after Drew Brees is gone? (1 Viewer)

Dutar - I think you summarized this topic as well as I've read. If Brees retires this year, I'd say Teddy. but one thing I have not read much, which I personally believe to be spot-on until you, is that I think SP is enamored with the disruption caused by mobile QBs. imho, I think a solid mobile QB would add levels of complexity for defenses only a genius like SP can fully see.

And to add to that. College is where the NFL gets all their players. Those players are all being raised and trained for that wide open dual-threat, RPO, spread offense. Every position. The NFL doesn't like to "copy" college... but honestly, they almost have no choice. That's what players are built for now.

1. It is not Teddy. Teddy earned himself a starting job in the NFL during his time filling in for Brees. I don't see him leaving that much money on the table to return as a backup. Teddy getting traded here and resigning for this season was a win/win for both parties.

2. It is Taysom Hill. What do we know about SP and quarterbacks? He gets the guy he wants and he develops them or taps into their complete potential. He developed Romo and he tried to get Romo, but Dallas didn't want to trade him. He went after Brees b/c he knew Brees could run his offense. Now he scooped up Taysom as soon as he came available as if he was waiting on that to happen.

3. He did not waste any time getting Taysom involved into the game in any way possible to make an impact. Taysom had all offseason to develop as a QB and get got preseason playing time. He also has shown more as a QB in game situations this season. He seems to only play on offense now and not on ST as much if at all.

4. Taysom will have the unique experience of playing QB, TE, RB, FB and WR in SP's offense, so his depth and knowledge of the offense will be greater than any FA or rookie brought in.

5. When Brees decides to retire in the next few years, Taysom will have 3-4 years in the system and possibly 1-2 as QB2 (2020/2021). I don't think Taysom's age is that big of a deal especially for a build-a-player athlete like him. If he takes over after 2021, that puts him in his year 32 season, he could play 5 seasons and only be 36 or 10 seasons and only be 41.

6. I mentioned in the Tua thread that the only people freaking out about Brees' successor is the fans. SP doesn't seem to worried about it and I think that is b/c he has his guy already and he's over 1 year into the development process.

For the 2020 season, it will be Brees, Taysom and a rookie or young developmental QB more than likely in the Taysom mold now that SP has seen what he can do with a player like that, QB3, WR, RB, TE, FB, ST, etc.
***BINGO***
FINALLY SOMEONE NAILS IT SPOT ON!
Sean has wisely been planning for this and those that turn a blind eye to this are simply clueless to how the Saints operate and how Sean is wired!!!

I think Tua is the most plug and play young QB for what the Saints offense currently does, but man, he may really be done, sadly.

That said, I’ve thought for a long time that some great offensive genius would come along and get multiple mobile QBs onto their roster and build a pro offense like the college offenses, but instead on just having one mobile QB and they get hurt, you have three of them on your team so that you don’t have to change your offense when one goes down. Also, unless you get one of them who is truly elite, you never pay them, let them leave in FA, and just keep reloading in the 2nd round of the draft every other year or so. Spend the millions that normally go to a QB’s 2nd contract on defense and WR’s.

Read options, RPO’s, 1/2 field reads and pull it down and get 5 yards. Build a ball control offense that runs through the QB. A super-updated single wing thing. Payton could be the guy to do this.

The thing about Tu'a is this is the only outcome where he's even a possibility for us to take, without trading up anyway. And even if we do, suddenly we have to worry and fear his injury history. Though if Bridgewater can play again, Tu'a can...

But to answer the thread question, the answer is Joe Burrow. But failing that impossibility, the best option going to be Bridgewater for the time being.

There's a chance Tua won't even enter the draft now. I wouldn't if I were him bcuz his stock will surely take a nosedive if he declares for next yr. Might aswell try to rebuild with another yr @ Bama

It'd be crazy if it happens but if Burrow is somehow available when it's time for us to pick like some scouts seem to think then u gotta take him without a 2nd thought. But if not then Jacob Eason or Jalen Hurts would be great. And I totally get the criticisms of guys like Jake Fromm or Sam Ehlinger but I think having a tutor like CSP would take these guy's game to the next level

Still not sold on Taysom being a viable option nor do I think any other team would be. But if I'm wrong n he becomes a solid starter for us then I'd gladly eat crow

Having said all that tho, if Drew retires u gotta keep Teddy around n let him n whomever battle it out

I know it's joke but for those who keep mentioning Billy Joe, which Billy Joe was your favorite?
Mines was Toliver.

Actually "The Swimmer!" I keep trying to get Coach Sean to give me a workout. I can't be any worse than Billy Kilmer - lol.

Who Dats - let me dream - ok, haha
What does Coach Pete think Burrow, especially if we can somehow land him?

Teddy. He's the only other Saints QB not named Drew Brees who's proved he can get it done with the peices we have.

The fact that TB got the nod from CSP to start after his preseason didnt "WOW" his critics tells me all I need to know about the trust between coach and QB.

This whole "TB has made himself too valuable to consider" turn-phrase is, IMO, just the lastest iteration in the book of excuses not to want TB as it is easier to not have to acknowledge TB as a viable contender because he isn't a "realistic" option lol. History has proven that if CSP wants you, Loomis will make it happen. Thats how TB got here in the first place.

I think we've forgotten about CSP's other QB projects throughout the years. They haven't all panned out to be Brees and Romo. CSP's best "from scratch" QB was Chase Daniel. It does take a specific skillset & talent, in addition to CSP wisdom, to be QB1 in a Payton offense. It doesn't take very long to assess either, definitely not more than 2 years. Either you have it or you don't. There's no such thing as developing into a QB1. There is acclimation, translating/adapting your skills, and improving. There is no "light switch" for becoming a legitimate QB

We know TB has it and CSP knows it, too.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom