Which receiver would you like to see the Saints acquire (1 Viewer)

Which WR should the Saints acquire?

• Emmanuel Sanders

Votes: 76 28.4%
  • AJ Green

Votes: 114 42.5%
  • Dez Bryant

Votes: 51 19.0%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 27 10.1%

• Total voters
Give me Emmanuel Sanders to play in the slot and still sign Dez. We’d have MT doing his thing, Dez on the other side, Sanders underneath, and let Ginn gun his behind down the field to get behind the defense. All in for a championship
Too bad the elections are over. You could run for coach.

This guy's catch percentage sucks. I thought the object was to make our receiving corps better, not worse. If as guy doesn't have at least 60 plus percentage catch score for a couple of years running, then he's no good to this team. Every receiver we have is in the 60's that's a Sean Payton thing.

On the surface, his catch % does suck at 57.1% for his career. Let's dig a little deeper into that. I can't find how many targets he had in college, but his draft summary said he had 3 drops from 2012-2015.

His QBs since entering the NFL are listed below with games played and completion percentages. His best year at 64.4% which corresponds to Tannehill's best year at 67.1%. His 2017 number was just below 60%, but only a couple points below where the QBs were completing passes that year. He also plays in the AFC East which has been dominated by the Pats during his entire career a team known to shutdown team's #1 option which Parker has been. The Jets and Bills have had decent if not good defenses during that time and even if they haven't they have good DBs. That ends up being 6 games against good if not great pass defense all designed to shut him down. He's been a part of a dumpster fire trying to catch hot potatoes. He would be an ideal WR who could benefit from a change in scenery to an actual NFL team.

2015 Ryan Tannehill 16 games/61.9%
2016 Ryan Tannehill 13 games/67.1%
2016 Matt Moore 3 games/63.2%
2017 Jay Cutler 14 games/62%
2017 Matt Moore 2 games/61.4%
2018 Ryan Tannehill 11 games/64.2%
2018 Brock Osweiler 5 games/63.5%
2019 Ryan Fitzpatrick 2 games/55.7%
2019 Johs Rosen 3 games/53.2%

Devante Parker career 57.1 Catch %
2015 52.0%
2016 64.4%
2017 59.4%
2018 51.1%
2019 46.4%

Put me in the Parker camp as well. Talk about a guy that could just explode in the right situation. He's pretty much the same size as Thomas at 6'3" 215lbs, big hands, great body control, 80" wing span, huge catch radius, only had 3 drops in college from 2012-2015 and he has TQS speed , but at MT's size.

My vote: Devante Parker from Dolphins for a 4th or 5th and Tyler Eifert for a 6th. We could easily afford both players and not deplete the draft as we would keep our 1st and 3rd.
Your scenario would deplete our draft capital.
We’d only have a 1st and 3rd, how is that not depleting? I mean we could offer future picks, in next year’s draft, which I’m not opposed to

On the surface, his catch % does suck at 57.1% for his career. Let's dig a little deeper into that. I can't find how many targets he had in college, but his draft summary said he had 3 drops from 2012-2015.

His QBs since entering the NFL are listed below with games played and completion percentages. His best year at 64.4% which corresponds to Tannehill's best year at 67.1%. His 2017 number was just below 60%, but only a couple points below where the QBs were completing passes that year. He also plays in the AFC East which has been dominated by the Pats during his entire career a team known to shutdown team's #1 option which Parker has been. The Jets and Bills have had decent if not good defenses during that time and even if they haven't they have good DBs. That ends up being 6 games against good if not great pass defense all designed to shut him down. He's been a part of a dumpster fire trying to catch hot potatoes. He would be an ideal WR who could benefit from a change in scenery to an actual NFL team.

2015 Ryan Tannehill 16 games/61.9%
2016 Ryan Tannehill 13 games/67.1%
2016 Matt Moore 3 games/63.2%
2017 Jay Cutler 14 games/62%
2017 Matt Moore 2 games/61.4%
2018 Ryan Tannehill 11 games/64.2%
2018 Brock Osweiler 5 games/63.5%
2019 Ryan Fitzpatrick 2 games/55.7%
2019 Johs Rosen 3 games/53.2%

Devante Parker career 57.1 Catch %
2015 52.0%
2016 64.4%
2017 59.4%
2018 51.1%
2019 46.4%
That's a nice job of researching. And it tells me one of two things. Either he contributed mightily to those guys sucking, or they made him suck. There's one way to find out which is which. So, i took another player who played with the same team during some of the same time frame & this is what i saw.
Jarvis Landry during his time with the Dolphins:
2014 - 75%
2015 - 66.3%
2016 - 71.8%
2017 - 69.6%
So when you see a guy's catch percentage lower then the QBs percentage, then you know the guy is making the QB look worse. When his catch percentage is higher than the QBs overall %, the guy is making the QB better. Obviously Jarvis Landry was the straw that stirred the drink & what you are showing me is that without Landry in the mix, this guy's numbers actually went down, not up. This guy is a plug. He can't help the Saints.

I'm in the Dez or do nothing camp. If anything, I'd rather we go after more backfield talent. Maybe that market is slimmer, but thats where this team is going to have to make its bread. I don't see a WR no matter the talent, coming in week 1 and making a difference. Might be because it hasn't happened yet under Payton. It happens in NE, sure, but I think there's a reason why only the most talented, hardest working WR of this generation has been able to hit the ground running in this offense. I think Payton puts timing at a premium and its how his mismatch alignments work. Not saying we can't improve at the position, but I think more backfield depth would really allow us to hammer that run game. Brees is magic, but Brees when the run game is clicking? forget about it.

Your scenario would deplete our draft capital.
We’d only have a 1st and 3rd, how is that not depleting? I mean we could offer future picks, in next year’s draft, which I’m not opposed to

We'd still have the 1st, 3rd and whichever one of the other picks that didn't get traded. It's easy to acquire those later round picks, so I'm not too concerned about them.

We'd still have the 1st, 3rd and whichever one of the other picks that didn't get traded. It's easy to acquire those later round picks, so I'm not too concerned about them.
My bad, I read 4th and (Not or) 5th, plus a 6th.
Too bad our invisible WRs we trot out there now have no value.

That's a nice job of researching. And it tells me one of two things. Either he contributed mightily to those guys sucking, or they made him suck. There's one way to find out which is which. So, i took another player who played with the same team during some of the same time frame & this is what i saw.
Jarvis Landry during his time with the Dolphins:
2014 - 75%
2015 - 66.3%
2016 - 71.8%
2017 - 69.6%
So when you see a guy's catch percentage lower then the QBs percentage, then you know the guy is making the QB look worse. When his catch percentage is higher than the QBs overall %, the guy is making the QB better. Obviously Jarvis Landry was the straw that stirred the drink & what you are showing me is that without Landry in the mix, this guy's numbers actually went down, not up. This guy is a plug. He can't help the Saints.
Yeah, I totally forgot about Landry. I don't think Parker just forgot how to catch. If he was acquired, it would be closer to the years he was there with Landry since Thomas is by far and away our #1, but Parker would have to be more in line with his 2016 numbers which with DB at QB would put Parker closer to a 70% range and not the years without Landry where he clearly showed he's not a reliable #1.

Dez, Green and Sanders are all or once were their team's #1 and that seems to be the players that are dominating the trade/sign conversations. Parker was a #2 turned #1 by the departure of Landry and has shown to this point on a bad team he is not a #1. We are looking for a legit #2 and Parker could be that guy. Throwing Parker into the conversation wasn't a bad option and we have a history of trading with Miami so there is that. There might also be other #2s or potential #2s that are out there and available.

Something that I am not sure of and haven't looked into is whether or not Parker can block. If he can't block and he can't catch at the catch % SP looks for then he's really not an option.

Last edited:
Yeah, I totally forgot about Landry. I don't think Parker just forgot how to catch. If he was acquired, it would be closer to the years he was there with Landry since Thomas is by far and away our #1, but Parker would have to be more in line with his 2016 numbers which with DB at QB would put Parker closer to a 70% range and not the years without Landry where he clearly showed he's not a reliable #1.
No offense brother, but I think you're reaching, in fact, after studying the catch percentage of the guys already on this roster versus other people around the league, our roster is ahead by 5-10 percntage points position by position of other teams. Our biggest problem has been the quality of the teams & defenses we have faced. We have has to play some very good football teams in some tough situations. I mean we're on the road our second tiem in two weeks playing against a really good defense after their bi week. We finally start getting some relief next week. But that won't last very long.

No offense brother, but I think you're reaching, in fact, after studying the catch percentage of the guys already on this roster versus other people around the league, our roster is ahead by 5-10 percntage points position by position of other teams. Our biggest problem has been the quality of the teams & defenses we have faced. We have has to play some very good football teams in some tough situations. I mean we're on the road our second tiem in two weeks playing against a really good defense after their bi week. We finally start getting some relief next week. But that won't last very long.
Hell yeah I'm reaching. I'm bored at work in Afghanistan taking weather observations. It is clear skies, unrestricted visibility, light winds and a perfect 68 degrees.

Hell yeah I'm reaching. I'm bored at work in Afghanistan taking weather observations. It is clear skies, unrestricted visibility, light winds and a perfect 68 degrees.
Well FWIW, you're not the only one. I know it's hard to realize, but if all of our guys were 100% healthy we are loaded everywhere. But at this time of year, all teams are hurting for talent somewhere. I'm more concerned about running back than i am receiver.

Well FWIW, you're not the only one. I know it's hard to realize, but if all of our guys were 100% healthy we are loaded everywhere. But at this time of year, all teams are hurting for talent somewhere. I'm more concerned about running back than i am receiver.
I know exactly where we are at 100% healthy, but we aren't there now and even then there was room to upgrade. Personally I don't want to limp into the NFCCG again with Arnold, Griffin and TLL types as our best options behind Thomas.

Also, I said that he could explode and maybe he could reach the potential he had when he was the 14th overall pick in 2015. He's also the least expensive and youngest of all the names thrown out there. Not that it matters, but Parker was at Louisville with Bridgewater and Parker's best years of production in college and the NFL combined was 2012 and 2013 seasons with Bridgewater as his QB.

Last edited:
Arnold is a good player. And you will see him again on the active roster. This guy has a ton of talent. He's just a small school project.

Arnold is a good player. And you will see him again on the active roster. This guy has a ton of talent. He's just a small school project.
I know that, I'm a huge Arnold fan. Arnold is SP's current TE project and could be a matchup nightmare when he fully makes that conversion and develops into a TE. He's only about 18 months if that into the conversion from WR to TE and was still very raw at the position last season. I haven't given up on Arnold, but he was not ready last season.

I know that, I'm a huge Arnold fan. Arnold is SP's current TE project and could be a matchup nightmare when he fully makes that conversion and develops into a TE. He's only about 18 months if that into the conversion from WR to TE and was still very raw at the position last season. I haven't given up on Arnold, but he was not ready last season.
I don't know that Arnold wouldn't make a great WR. Check this, do you remember how potent Cook was when they lined him up at wideout against the Bucs? If you can't outrun em then physical them to death. Toward the end of the year Arnold could be a new guy to contend with. But he won't be if we are playing science project with another team's washed up guy in the middle to the end of the season. It will be more trouble than its worth IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom