Which receiver would you like to see the Saints acquire (1 Viewer)

Which WR should the Saints acquire?

• Emmanuel Sanders

Votes: 76 28.4%
  • AJ Green

Votes: 114 42.5%
  • Dez Bryant

Votes: 51 19.0%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 27 10.1%

• Total voters
I don't know that Arnold wouldn't make a great WR. Check this, do you remember how potent Cook was when they lined him up at wideout against the Bucs? If you can't outrun em then physical them to death. Toward the end of the year Arnold could be a new guy to contend with. But he won't be if we are playing science project with another team's washed up guy in the middle to the end of the season. It will be more trouble than its worth IMO.

I think since I comment on every potential trade acquisition thread, you think I want to acquire these guys. Actually, I would prefer we develop our own guys and stay out of FA and the trade market unless we absolutely have to since there is always a reason why a player becomes available.

The ideal situation is Arnold develops into the player that SP has envisioned for him. I believe that is in the move TE mold which with his talent and athleticism puts him in the upper tier for TEs. He did have a few key drops, but drops is not something he was known for in college so I don't think that will be a problem going forward. After all, Devery had good hands towards the end of his career and as a converted RB his hands were suspect early on. SP converting Loewen back to TE where he was a good blocking TE in college and then signing Parker who is known for his blocking ability could be another indication that Arnold is developing as the receiving TE. Hopefully he develops like the converted WR to TE Robert Tonyan in GB who developed his blocking and is now more of a complete TE.

LJH getting game experience now even as a blocker might be a good indication that SP sees the potential and will expand his role as he develops.

Butler is another guy that it would be nice to see him develop and have a role on the team.

TQS is more than likely the missing piece right now. He's not a burner, but he's fast enough for Ginn's role. If he can stay healthy and develop a lot of this WR discussion might go away, but that is currently not the case.

I would prefer to have all of our young guys develop into the players that the FO brought them in to be, but I can also also see that adding a piece like we did with Apple last season who is young, talented, affordable and can benefit from a change of scenery could help the team now and in the long run. So yes, develop our own is the most ideal, but you never know what another team's castoff can do unless you actually try. Parker is just an example and Apple has been a pretty good castoff that we didn't give up much to get.

That's a nice job of researching. And it tells me one of two things. Either he contributed mightily to those guys sucking, or they made him suck. There's one way to find out which is which. So, i took another player who played with the same team during some of the same time frame & this is what i saw.
Jarvis Landry during his time with the Dolphins:
2014 - 75%
2015 - 66.3%
2016 - 71.8%
2017 - 69.6%
So when you see a guy's catch percentage lower then the QBs percentage, then you know the guy is making the QB look worse. When his catch percentage is higher than the QBs overall %, the guy is making the QB better. Obviously Jarvis Landry was the straw that stirred the drink & what you are showing me is that without Landry in the mix, this guy's numbers actually went down, not up. This guy is a plug. He can't help the Saints.

I would expect most wideouts to have a catch % lower than their QB's completion %. High percentage throws to the backs and the slot should account for the difference. It's not entirely fair to compare a guy like Parker that plays on the outside to a guy like Landry that's always in the slot.

I think since I comment on every potential trade acquisition thread, you think I want to acquire these guys. Actually, I would prefer we develop our own guys and stay out of FA and the trade market unless we absolutely have to since there is always a reason why a player becomes available.

The ideal situation is Arnold develops into the player that SP has envisioned for him. I believe that is in the move TE mold which with his talent and athleticism puts him in the upper tier for TEs. He did have a few key drops, but drops is not something he was known for in college so I don't think that will be a problem going forward. After all, Devery had good hands towards the end of his career and as a converted RB his hands were suspect early on. SP converting Loewen back to TE where he was a good blocking TE in college and then signing Parker who is known for his blocking ability could be another indication that Arnold is developing as the receiving TE. Hopefully he develops like the converted WR to TE Robert Tonyan in GB who developed his blocking and is now more of a complete TE.

LJH getting game experience now even as a blocker might be a good indication that SP sees the potential and will expand his role as he develops.

Butler is another guy that it would be nice to see him develop and have a role on the team.

TQS is more than likely the missing piece right now. He's not a burner, but he's fast enough for Ginn's role. If he can stay healthy and develop a lot of this WR discussion might go away, but that is currently not the case.

I would prefer to have all of our young guys develop into the players that the FO brought them in to be, but I can also also see that adding a piece like we did with Apple last season who is young, talented, affordable and can benefit from a change of scenery could help the team now and in the long run. So yes, develop our own is the most ideal, but you never know what another team's castoff can do unless you actually try. Parker is just an example and Apple has been a pretty good castoff that we didn't give up much to get.
But the need for Apple was extremely obvious & he fit right in with the other OSU guys taking him into the fold which was something he did not have at New York. I like you would like to see some of these other young guys get a chance to show what they can do. But I could see Arnold as a hybrid slot type H-back receiver to fast for LBs & too big for corners to handle. We only need another three-four target guy a game to make this work.

I'm not interested in trading a fourth round pick for either. When we traded a fourth for Eli Apple, we got a young player on a cheap rookie deal, not an expensive veteran nearing the end of the line. CB is more of a premium position than WR, too.

I'm not interested in trading a fourth round pick for either. When we traded a fourth for Eli Apple, we got a young player on a cheap rookie deal, not an expensive veteran nearing the end of the line. CB is more of a premium position than WR, too.
Giants got ripped off. You can't expect that kind of deal every time.

The bottom line is what is the Saints FO willing to give up. Sanders and Green will obviously require draft pick compensation to attain and are they willing to take the chance of losing Green after the season to free agency. Not sure about Sanders contract. Dez Bryant would be the cheapest route but does he really have anything left in the tank.

Trying to fix or upgrade the wr position in the middle of the season is not a great scenario for us. Probably should have been addressed in the offseason but who am I to question CSP and the FO.

I am in favor of ANY wide receiver who the team feels can help. My two top ones are Green and Sanders, but I personally favor Green, slightly, but I am ok with either one of the two players if the team feels that they can get one at a reasonable price. I think a third probably would get either one and a fourth might work also, but the Patriots and Packers are also likely bidders on this.

AJ Green has been injured, so no stats for this year. This article thinks a second and fifth might be needed. I doubt that would be the price.

Sanders had 5 catches for 60 yards, for the season (he missed two games) he has 30 catches for 367 yards and 2 TD's. Detailed stats are 30 catches on 44 targets for a catch ratio of 68.2%. The completion ratio of Joe Flacco this season is 65.7%, so Sanders is slightly better than his QB on that metric.

He is in the last year of his contract and the articles below states that the highest comp pick the Broncos can get for him is a fifth-rounder. They speculate that a third-rounder from the Patriots might be necessary to acquire him. (Remember, its the Patriots, so they already probably have TWO extra third-round comp picks in their pocket, so sending a very late third by them is not a huge price to pay.) Whatever price the Saints would have to "pay" is determined by what they are comfortable offering and the market price. This is a "Patriots" type of move, trade a pick for a player and don't impact the compensatory pick formula.

#4) DeVante Parker is awful. The guy is not a good WR. He's been in the league long enough to know what he is at this point. Preston Williams is easily the best receiver on that really bad Dolphins team. I'm not sure that Devante Parker would even be our #5 WR, and the guy doesn't play special teams. Big fat no here.

#3) Dez is available. If the Saints thought he would be an upgrade to what we currently have, wouldn't he already be on the team? For that reason alone, I say no. There are 32 teams in the NFL, including teams that are bordering on being historically bad, and yet not a single one of them are interested in Dez Bryant.

#2) The most talented guy on the board is AJ Green. I don't think that he is a top 5 WR like he once was, but he is still very likely a top 15 WR. He's a guy who you absolutely have to respect as a WR. Teams can't just trot out a #2 CB to cover him to anticipate continuing to bracket Thomas and spy Kamara. With Green it all comes down to injury. He was banged up last year, and he got hurt again this year. He doesn't look to be aging gracefully, which is a big concern of mine. But still...we are talking about AJ Green, a guy who would roll out of bed after no playing a game in a year and still probably be better than Ted Ginn (no offense to Ginn). My biggest concern is asking price. He's a big named guy and teams that are less risk averse to injury may buy high. I fully anticipate Green going for a 3rd round pick. We will very likely have a very late 3rd round pick, so it is very difficult for me to justify spending a 2nd rounder to outbid those other teams (plus we don't have a 2nd). If we could get Green for a 3rd rounder...he certainly be in the argument for my top target, because the upside is immense.

#1) Emmanuel Sanders. Sanders has been my target all along, for a few reasons. First, he looks really good after his achilles injury. I don't see a big drop off in his game. He has produced a handful of really big games so far this season with an inept passing game in Denver. In reality, he has had poor QB play for a few years now and he still produces. He is also an incredible scheme fit guy for the Saints. The Saints more than anything else need a guy who can play slot and also occasionally play split end (when Thomas lines up in the slot). Sanders can do both very well. He is an excellent route runner and would very likely just fall right into place for this Saints offense. He's not the type of guy who is going to regularly beat defenses deep, but I'm not convinced that is what the Saints need anyway. The Saints bread and butter is there short and intermediate passing game. With Sanders out there...it would allow Ginn to play flanker against nickel CBs with even less attention over top by safeties, and he'd be even more effective as a deep threat. I also don't think that Sanders' asking price will be as high. He'll probably go for about a 5th rounder. So the Saints could need to spend a 4th to outbid those other teams with poorer records...I can definitely stomach that.

I don't want them to screw with the cap and give up stuff in a trade. If they work out some amazing deal maybe, but as of now I just went Dez. Take a vet min flyer.

I would pick Dez. Not that he's the best receiver, but it would cost us no more than his salary and he feels loyalty to our organization
This. We need to keep the picks we still have, as there are quite a few pay days on the horizon and rookie deals make those easier to accommodate.

Antonio Brown league minimum with bonuses.

If you told me that the Saints could get Antonio Brown for free and we'd get a 2nd rounder in return to have Brown on our roster the entire season...I'd say no. Brown is a complete psychopath and would do his very best to embarrass and sabotage our season.

#4) DeVante Parker is awful. The guy is not a good WR. He's been in the league long enough to know what he is at this point. Preston Williams is easily the best receiver on that really bad Dolphins team. I'm not sure that Devante Parker would even be our #5 WR, and the guy doesn't play special teams. Big fat no here.

He is a bad player. The clamoring for him is weird. Jarvis Landry had plenty of success with the same QBs Parker wallowed in mediocrity with. And Jarvis Landry isn't that good (he's a below average WR1 and an above average WR2). I don't get the Parker thing at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom