Which receiver would you like to see the Saints acquire (2 Viewers)

Which WR should the Saints acquire?

• Emmanuel Sanders

Votes: 76 28.4%
  • AJ Green

Votes: 114 42.5%
  • Dez Bryant

Votes: 51 19.0%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 27 10.1%

• Total voters
Even though they’d most likely tell the Saints to go pound sand, I’d call the Falcons after they lose to the Rams and offer them a 5th rounder for Mo Sanu.
Once that shot has been shot, I’d give the Bengals a 7th (or even a 6th) for Tyler Eifert and then use him like a big WR and H-back. If healthy (and that’s a giant IF) he is a very dangerous receiver that could really help the Saints.

He is a bad player. The clamoring for him is weird. Jarvis Landry had plenty of success with the same QBs Parker wallowed in mediocrity with. And Jarvis Landry isn't that good (he's a below average WR1 and an above average WR2). I don't get the Parker thing at all.

People get attached to draft prospects and the hope for the unknown. Somewhere under the rainbow some Saints' fan is hoping that we kick Kevin White's tires...another draft bust WR that is really bad at the game of football.

He is a bad player. The clamoring for him is weird. Jarvis Landry had plenty of success with the same QBs Parker wallowed in mediocrity with. And Jarvis Landry isn't that good (he's a below average WR1 and an above average WR2). I don't get the Parker thing at all.

It's just discussion. We've beat the LJH drum for awhile, discussed Green, Sanders and Bryant until there is really nothing else to talk about. It's just another player to discuss on a discussion board.

#4) DeVante Parker is awful. The guy is not a good WR. He's been in the league long enough to know what he is at this point. Preston Williams is easily the best receiver on that really bad Dolphins team. I'm not sure that Devante Parker would even be our #5 WR, and the guy doesn't play special teams. Big fat no here.

#3) Dez is available. If the Saints thought he would be an upgrade to what we currently have, wouldn't he already be on the team? For that reason alone, I say no. There are 32 teams in the NFL, including teams that are bordering on being historically bad, and yet not a single one of them are interested in Dez Bryant.

#2) The most talented guy on the board is AJ Green. I don't think that he is a top 5 WR like he once was, but he is still very likely a top 15 WR. He's a guy who you absolutely have to respect as a WR. Teams can't just trot out a #2 CB to cover him to anticipate continuing to bracket Thomas and spy Kamara. With Green it all comes down to injury. He was banged up last year, and he got hurt again this year. He doesn't look to be aging gracefully, which is a big concern of mine. But still...we are talking about AJ Green, a guy who would roll out of bed after no playing a game in a year and still probably be better than Ted Ginn (no offense to Ginn). My biggest concern is asking price. He's a big named guy and teams that are less risk averse to injury may buy high. I fully anticipate Green going for a 3rd round pick. We will very likely have a very late 3rd round pick, so it is very difficult for me to justify spending a 2nd rounder to outbid those other teams (plus we don't have a 2nd). If we could get Green for a 3rd rounder...he certainly be in the argument for my top target, because the upside is immense.

#1) Emmanuel Sanders. Sanders has been my target all along, for a few reasons. First, he looks really good after his achilles injury. I don't see a big drop off in his game. He has produced a handful of really big games so far this season with an inept passing game in Denver. In reality, he has had poor QB play for a few years now and he still produces. He is also an incredible scheme fit guy for the Saints. The Saints more than anything else need a guy who can play slot and also occasionally play split end (when Thomas lines up in the slot). Sanders can do both very well. He is an excellent route runner and would very likely just fall right into place for this Saints offense. He's not the type of guy who is going to regularly beat defenses deep, but I'm not convinced that is what the Saints need anyway. The Saints bread and butter is there short and intermediate passing game. With Sanders out there...it would allow Ginn to play flanker against nickel CBs with even less attention over top by safeties, and he'd be even more effective as a deep threat. I also don't think that Sanders' asking price will be as high. He'll probably go for about a 5th rounder. So the Saints could need to spend a 4th to outbid those other teams with poorer records...I can definitely stomach that.

Nice breakdown. You also need consider that we will have to push back money to fit Green or Butler in the cap. Next year we only have 25 mil space with a lot of players to sign (possibly including Brees). Grabbing one of these guys could make that worse and mean cutting Bell or Onyemata for instance.

Btw, I think Parker has some talent, but it doesn't fit our offense. He's a deep ball 50/50 guy. Makes some circus catches.

Last edited:
Nice breakdown. You also need consider that we will have to push back money to fit Green or Butler in the cap. Next year we only have 25 mil space with a lot of players to sign (possibly including Brees). Grabbing one of these guys could make that worse and mean cutting Bell or Onyemata for instance.

I'm not too worried about it because Loomis finds a way to make the cap work. With the news that the Saints were one of the top contenders for Jalen Ramsey, I don't think it's even worth my time trying figure out the cap situation for a much cheaper option long-term such as Green or Sanders, who are in all likelihood 1-2 year rentals.

I think that the Saints limitations without Kamara make them nervous. Yes, the Saints won last week against a not-so-good Jags team, but an injured Kamara will be a big problem against better NFL teams. What happens if Michael Thomas gets banged up (knock on wood)? That thought is absolutely terrifying. It's something that I'm sure most Saints don't want to even consider, but it's something you have to consider as an NFL coach/GM. A guy like Sanders/Green could very easily be the difference between a first round exit from the playoffs or a Super Bowl. Yes, we have a very good young team right now...but I refuse to believe that our team will ever be in a better position to win a Super Bowl than with Drew Brees. We may only get 1-2 more good shots at this.

Given our present circumstances at WR, I’d take any help the team can get. It’s been a big setback not to have Smith and Kirkwood continuing to develop and contribute. Green and Sanders are likely the two who could come in and have the most immediate impact, which the team desperately needs. I’m not as down on Parker as others of you, but also don’t think he can step right in to the same degree. Any analysis has to consider the variables of trade capital, availability to be acquired, age, contracts, upside, reliability so none are a slam dunk over the others no matter how convinced anybody is.

Would have loved to see things work out with Bryant last season but skeptical an opportunity still exists.

One thing to realize with AJ Green is the price will likely have a 3rd round floor. If the Bengals do nothing and AJ Green leaves to another team in the off-season, he is likely to command a decently sized contract, which means the Bengals will likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him. Same if the Saints trade for him and then do not resign him for next season, he will likely garner a Compensatory pick for us. I doubt the Bengals take less than a 3rd, since they can hold onto him and do nothing and likely get a Compensatory 3rd next season anyways just for letting him walk.

I always feel it is better to get players who aren't a household names and an upcoming player who needs a chance. Honestly getting these big name receivers aren't going to work out because we have a number one receiver already. From the list it is hard to pick one because they are on their tail end of their career and recently injured. I know they aren't coming here to be the number one guy but what price do you pay for someone you hope would contribute greatly. With big names, you expect big things. But you might be setting things up for disappointment with a price.

AJ Green and it's not even close for me. He's not one of those regressing players who you're getting a shell of what they once were. He's a 15/ypc receiver who didn't slow down at all last year before his injury. And he's not made of glass. He's had bad luck between missing 7 games last year and starting off this year with an ankle injury but he's still a top 5-7 wide receiver in this game when he's healthy. If we're looking to make a serious push and add wide receiver help, he's the guy.

I always feel it is better to get players who aren't a household names and an upcoming player who needs a chance. Honestly getting these big name receivers aren't going to work out because we have a number one receiver already. From the list it is hard to pick one because they are on their tail end of their career and recently injured. I know they aren't coming here to be the number one guy but what price do you pay for someone you hope would contribute greatly. With big names, you expect big things. But you might be setting things up for disappointment with a price.

But there's also a balance. The household names are usually household names because they have proven their worth in the league. I don't think that you can find a "non-household name" guy who help us much this season at WR. Green is a superstar...so definitely that plays a part in his trade value. He's a much bigger name than Emmanuel Sanders, and that's a big part of why I think that Sanders would be cheaper...but who knows...maybe I'm wrong about that. Parker on the other hand is not a household name but he's a well known name in the football community because of the pre-draft process...but the guy never came close to living up to the hype. Dez is a household name but he's also a guy who pretty obviously isn't the guy he once was. I have no problem with Dez...but I'd be very hesitant to think that he would come in a make a huge impact on our offense at this point. He was on the decline even before the series of brutal injuries.

Giants got ripped off. You can't expect that kind of deal every time.
I can expect the Saints not to let themselves get ripped off. We got someone Payton considers a starting QB for a third. Not interested in a worn down WR for a fourth.

Ted Ginn had an awful catch percentage before becoming a Saint. Just going to point that out. It was the biggest gripe from people when we signed him.

Indeed. And he's not a very good receiver, ergo the scrambling to upgrade by our front office.

I don't think any WR is going to walk in mid-season and suddenly solve every problem. It seems like every single time we sign a FA WR (or TE) in the offseason, it takes them the entire TC/Pre-season and the first four games before even looking comfortable. I don't think Dez Bryant, who hasn't played in two years, is a solution to anything.

If you can trade for someone actually good, like AJ Green or Sanders, perhaps you think about it but I think the price will be too high, both in future money and draft capital.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom