Which receiver would you like to see the Saints acquire (4 Viewers)

Which WR should the Saints acquire?

• Emmanuel Sanders

Votes: 76 28.4%
  • AJ Green

Votes: 114 42.5%
  • Dez Bryant

Votes: 51 19.0%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 27 10.1%

• Total voters
Ted Ginn had an awful catch percentage before becoming a Saint. Just going to point that out. It was the biggest gripe from people when we signed him.

It's ok to not have a great catch percentage as a deep threat field stretcher type...but as a possession receiver? Pretty darn important.

Green & Ginn wide, Thomas in the slot, Cook & Kamara. Run or pass scary good.

One thing to realize with AJ Green is the price will likely have a 3rd round floor. If the Bengals do nothing and AJ Green leaves to another team in the off-season, he is likely to command a decently sized contract, which means the Bengals will likely get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him. Same if the Saints trade for him and then do not resign him for next season, he will likely garner a Compensatory pick for us. I doubt the Bengals take less than a 3rd, since they can hold onto him and do nothing and likely get a Compensatory 3rd next season anyways just for letting him walk.

I think its risky for the Bengals to presume they're going to get a compensatory 3rd for him when he walks in March (and he definitely is - there's zero chance he stays with the Bengals IMO). They're looking at about $58M in cap space to spend on free agents and given their roster and performance, I think we can expect they're going to be spenders in the off-season.

I don't see how any of that makes AJ's "floor" a 3rd rounder. I think the market will be soft for him if that's their demand and are unwilling to move. That's a lot for a team to give for a guy who can only be counted on as a 9-game rental and who is a 31 year old receiver that hasn't taken a snap in 2019 due to injury. I still think a 4th is the right compensation.

Who are the likely suitors? Saints, Packers, and Patriots seem obvious. Will competition push the price into the 3rd round? Maybe, but I don't think it's reliable enough to call it a "floor."

Maybe not a popular opinion, but Crabtree could probably be had for a reasonable contract and with highly incentivized bonuses we might get decent production out of him.

If Green is healthy, available, and attainable without giving up 1st or 2nd round pick... He's the no-brainer choice. He can do it all.

The best fit would be Sanders... we have been missing a true slot player with hands and quickness since Snead left town... Sanders is that and more.

Dez may or may not be better than the invisible trio of Carr, LJH, and Smith... who know... he's a last act of desperation if we can't get someone else... just like last year.

It's ok to not have a great catch percentage as a deep threat field stretcher type...but as a possession receiver? Pretty darn important.
Ginn has become more of a possession receiver since coming here too though, which also increases his catch percentage. I'm not making an argument for signing Adams at all, was just pointing out that a change of scenery (and having an elite receivers coach) can correct things like catch percentages.

Eifert looks like a real possibility as well. You could do worse in a #2 TE and you probably good get him for next to nothing. I'd have no problem with getting Eifert & either Sanders/Green. That would really transform our offense for the better.

Eifert looks like a real possibility as well. You could do worse in a #2 TE and you probably good get him for next to nothing. I'd have no problem with getting Eifert & either Sanders/Green. That would really transform our offense for the better.

This is a potential trade that I’d hope heavily favored the Saints. Eifert has talent but had only played in 43 games through his first six seasons, out of 96 possible. Being available for double digit games in only two seasons (including his rookie year). That’s very concerning, particularly on a team already trying to compensate for injury issues.

edit-to go on record, I’d hope if it happens, it’s for a conditional third day pick or moving out a depth player who already doesn’t factor long term. Eifert’s durability and dependability is a significant concern.

Counterpoint. Check out Ted Ginn's catch percentage before New Orleans - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GinnTe00.htm
Well done old chap. Nice counter point. Now let me counter your counter point. Was Ginn a mid season acquisition? Really at this point, I doubt there is anyone who can come in & help bring this pass offense to a higher level & who is available at a price we can stay under. Although IMO if anyone is worth the risk, it's Green.

This guy's catch percentage sucks. I thought the object was to make our receiving corps better, not worse. If as guy doesn't have at least 60 plus percentage catch score for a couple of years running, then he's no good to this team. Every receiver we have is in the 60's that's a Sean Payton thing.

You also have to understand who is throwing him the ball..

I do understand your point though, as I am not to high on him either

Well done old chap. Nice counter point. Now let me counter your counter point. Was Ginn a mid season acquisition? Really at this point, I doubt there is anyone who can come in & help bring this pass offense to a higher level & who is available at a price we can stay under. Although IMO if anyone is worth the risk, it's Green.

You could be right about the mid Season issue. Green and Emmanuel are better players but at a much higher cost.

Davante could be awful but maybe not.

Advantages of Davante IMO:

He is only 26 vs 32 years old of the other 2 players.

He is less than half the price of the other 2 and is locked up until 2021

What would he cost? I say a 5th or 6th at best and we already do a lot of business with Miami. AJ is probably a 1st or 2nd and Emmanuel a 2nd or 3rd.

Also, has the current Saints FO ever gave up a top 3 pick midseason for anyone? (Maybe I forgot?)

Maybe there is another underperforming inexpensive WR besides Davante? Saints history says it is a slim chance we are giving up high draft picks midseason for anyone.

Another WR in the last year of his deal on non-playoff team is Robby Anderson (NYJ): Playing on a $3M base pay. I like him a lot - played well with junk QBs.

He’s their best receiver, not sure if they’re willing to move him while developing Darnold.

Another WR in the last year of his deal on non-playoff team is Robby Anderson (NYJ): Playing on a $3M base pay. I like him a lot - played well with junk QBs.

He’s their best receiver, not sure if they’re willing to move him while developing Darnold.
They let Vilma and Demario go, maybe they'll be foolish enough to deal a 26 year old stud receiver :unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom