Which remaining free agent do you believe we have a realistic shot at signing? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Logan Ryan
Everson Griffin
or Markus Golden

Clowney is out of the fold in my opinion.

Eli Apple, there seems to be a small market for him. He knows the Saints D, is a solid player and fills a need. The only question is if the relationship between him and the Saints is amenable. I think all the others are going to want too much money.

Eli Apple, there seems to be a small market for him. He knows the Saints D, is a solid player and fills a need. The only question is if the relationship between him and the Saints is amenable. I think all the others are going to want too much money.
If we can sign Ryan, then we need to sign him. A huge upgrade from Apple.

Hard to believe Everson Griffen is still a free agent. He's 32 years old but he's coming off of a Pro Bowl season in which he recorded 8 sacks and 24 QB hits. 24 QB hits shows me that he consistently creating pressure. Cam Jordan had 25 QB hits last year for some perspective.

For a productive pass rusher to still be on the market tells me he's asking for more than teams are willing to pay. I'd love to have him though. I'm not giving up on Davenport long term but for this last hurrah it sure would be nice to have a durable, consistent pass rusher like Griffen opposite Jordan.

If we can sign Ryan, then we need to sign him. A huge upgrade from Apple.
Agree he’s a definite upgrade over Eli Apple, but apparently he’s look for $10 mil/year (at least to sign with the Jets).

Griffin is my choice but he may be too expensive...

I hate to say cause I liked him when he was here...but I think Apple's confidence is shot...no interest in him at all....

Logan Ryan
Everson Griffin
or Markus Golden

Ryan is better in the slot, and we've already got an abundance of players there..

As for the OP, I would say Griffen 1st, Ogletree 2nd

Hard to believe Everson Griffen is still a free agent. He's 32 years old but he's coming off of a Pro Bowl season in which he recorded 8 sacks and 24 QB hits. 24 QB hits shows me that he consistently creating pressure. Cam Jordan had 25 QB hits last year for some perspective.

For a productive pass rusher to still be on the market tells me he's asking for more than teams are willing to pay. I'd love to have him though. I'm not giving up on Davenport long term but for this last hurrah it sure would be nice to have a durable, consistent pass rusher like Griffen opposite Jordan.
Not that I personally would want to say this is a reason not to sign someone, but teams may be very aware of Everson's mental health issues he has been working through and thinking that this may affect his availability for games.

Logan Ryan
Everson Griffin
or Markus Golden

From what I understand, all of those guys want more money than I think the Saints should pay for them. Ogletree has been connected to the Saints by outside sources, but I don't know how much interest there is in him and actually, I don't know if he's needed. I think I would rather see the Saints use some of their cap money to try to extend a couple of guys coming up for free agency.

Not that I personally would want to say this is a reason not to sign someone, but teams may be very aware of Everson's mental health issues he has been working through and thinking that this may affect his availability for games.
So give him a contract that reflects that. If he messes up we can cut him at no cost

Saints cut a 5th string CB and rotational DE (P-Rob and Edwards Jr.) post June 1 to create 12-14M total cap space to sign Griffen to a 7-9M 1 year rental.

Or, should Kwon Alexander gets cut, then LB is my choice.

So give him a contract that reflects that. If he messes up we can cut him at no cost
It's not 'messing up' if you suffer with mental health issues. But it is a medical risk for teams considering a signing, like almost any other.

I don't think there's a contract that carries no cost in salary cap terms, if you cut the player there is a cap impact in almost all feasible circumstances.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom