Which Saints FULLBACK From The Past Would You Insert into the Current Offense? (2 Viewers)

I'm not mad at all. The question was about fullbacks and I don't think Gajan is the best fb in Saints' history. I'd rather Heath Allen.
We never had a fullback named Heath Allen. Goes to show how much you pay attention to football
Heath Evans had 8 TDs 3 fumbles. Gajan 13 TDs 6 fumbles. Evans was one of our better fullbacks but not better than a prime Gajan

We never had a fullback named Heath Allen. Goes to show how much you pay attention to football
Heath Evans had 8 TDs 3 fumbles. Gajan 13 TDs 6 fumbles
True. The Channel 6 guy popped into my head. Yes, that mental error clearly demonstrates that I don't pay attention. Don't be daft.

I get it. Elevating the significance of players from the past reminds you of your own glory days or whathaveyou. It's understandable.

True. The Channel 6 guy popped into my head. Yes, that mental error clearly demonstrates that I don't pay attention. Don't be daft.

I get it. Elevating the significance of players from the past reminds you of your own glory days or whathaveyou. It's understandable.
Yea and you wanna say a dead Saints legend isn't worth the hype? Just talking out of your .....Heath Allen pffft. Maybe you think Lorenzo Armstrong is better as well. Zach Morris was a hell of a fullback too

I think the OP's answer of Neal is right. I actually think Neal would be perfectly suited to today's NFL. He had soft hands, teams just didn't really utilize fullbacks in that way back then. And he was a devastating blocker as everyone already knows. He was a better athlete than most fullbacks, which is required in the modern NFL.

Heath Evans is a strong #2 as mentioned by others too.

I think guys like Karney and Heyward would be too slow for the modern NFL. They'd be men without positions. Too small for TE/OL, too big and slow for a skill position.
Kyle Juszczyk disagrees with you. 6'1 240, pretty slow. Has carved out a nice career. James Develin is about as big and slow as Karney. Plays about 30 percent of the snaps similar to Karney in our offense. I think as more teams have moved to a spread type offense, the defenders get smaller / faster, I think it would be wise for a few struggling teams to revert back to a power running offense like the 49ers.

Ravens put a 300 pound defensive tackle at fullback in Patrick Ricard, also played about 30 percent of offensive snaps and did well. Notice how they ran a lot out of 3 tight end sets. Basically it's a modern take on an old school offense and it turned out well.

As far as Neal, he played a span of almost 2 decades and there were certainly many different teams that utilized the fullback in the passing game more than him. As a blocker though, not many have him beat.

Last edited:
Kyle Juszczyk disagrees with you. 6'1 240, pretty slow. Has carved out a nice career. James Develin is about as big and slow as Karney. Plays about 30 percent of the snaps similar to Karney in our offense. I think as more teams have moved to a spread type offense, the defenders get smaller / faster, I think it would be wise for a few struggling teams to revert back to a power running offense like the 49ers.

Ravens put a 300 pound defensive tackle at fullback in Patrick Ricard, also played about 30 percent of offensive snaps and did well. Notice how they ran a lot out of 3 tight end sets. Basically it's a modern take on an old school offense and it turned out well.

As far as Neal, he played a span of almost 2 decades and there were certainly many different teams that utilized the fullback in the passing game more than him. As a blocker though, not many have him beat.

Karney and Heyward make Juszczyk look like Usain Bolt. Jus ran the 40 in 4.7, and Karney was over 5 seconds. I can't find a time for Heyward but it would have been worse than Karney.

Karney and Heyward make Juszczyk look like Usain Bolt. Jus ran the 40 in 4.7, and Karney was over 5 seconds. I can't find a time for Heyward but it would have been worse than Karney.
Jus ran 4.77 it's not exactly blazing, and it was hand timed, usually have to add a tenth of a second to those. So 4.8ish. Same time as Neal (4.84) who you think is more athletic. The other 2 I mentioned definitely ran 5 second 40s and are about involved in their offenses as Karney was in ours. I don't think .16 is gonna make or break a fullback. They're gonna get caught from behind regardless. Plays going for a straight line 40 yards or more rarely happen, even for the speedsters. I'll take guys that can consistently get 1st downs and a fullback mostly blocks and occasionally gets short yardage. Usually big plays occur with holes in zone defense or busted coverage. Sometimes the FB gets ignored coming out of the backfield

Last edited:
Jus ran 4.77 it's not exactly blazing, and it was hand timed, usually have to add a tenth of a second to those. So 4.8ish. Same time as Neal (4.84) who you think is more athletic. The other 2 I mentioned definitely ran 5 second 40s and are about involved in their offenses as Karney was in ours. I don't think .16 is gonna make or break a fullback. They're gonna get caught from behind regardless. Plays going for a straight line 40 yards or more rarely happen, even for the speedsters. I'll take guys that can consistently get 1st downs and a fullback mostly blocks and occasionally gets short yardage. Usually big plays occur with holes in zone defense or busted coverage. Sometimes the FB gets ignored coming out of the backfield

Yeah, I mean we're not disagreeing. Jus and Neal are faster than Karney/Heyward, all I'm saying. Thus, they'd probably be better suited to the modern NFL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom