Which Saints WR from the Past Would You Insert into the Teams Current Offense (1 Viewer)

Everyone trying to be cute and contrarian saying Lance Moore (lol) or a bunch of old timers from back when the forward pass was considered a trick play. Eric Martin is like a homeless man's version of Marques Colston. Quinn Early.. GTFO. Lance Moore was outperformed every season by Colston, by a large margin, when they played together. Those are all joke answers.

Colston and Horn were the two best WRs we've ever had and it's not even close. There should be no other names even mentioned. For this particular question, probably Colston, because Horn's speed and deep ball threat would largely go wasted in our current offense, where Colston's skills would not.

You CANNOT be serious.

Wes Chandler... and it's not even close!

1978... only started 5 games
1979 started all 16 games (1069 yds/ 16.4 ypc)
1980 started all 16 games (975 yds/ 15.0 ypc)
1981 traded to the Chargers (started 15 games) 1142 yds/ 16.6 ypc

The following season was shortened by a strike (only 8 games). Yet, he had became the only player in NFL history to gain over 1000 yds in 8 games (total: 1032/ 21.1 ypc). He was 1st team All Pro that year.

Bum Phillips traded Wes because he seemed too anti-social at team off-duty functions. The one sports analyst Wayne Mack described was when the team had a picnic. Bum saw Wes off to himself and not mingling with the others. That observation led to Bum asking to trade Wes.

:gosaints:

Last edited:
So many people here are underestimating what Colston brought to the table. He was arguably the prototype for big, smart, and physical wide receivers (aka Megatron, Dez, etc). Some people would probably say Harold Carmichael was this; but since no one tried to imitate him in his day hard to say he was a "prototype".

I remember Colston going up to catch balls with his 6'5 frame and coming down on top of small little cornerbacks - absolutely flattening them! In his prime, he was probably the most punishing player in history ATC at a position that has simply not been known for having the word "punishing" associated with it. And he did it for so many years without serious injury.

CGM would fit well on the other side with his elusive skills and hands of flypaper. I wish Colston could still come back and work as a coach for some of the bigger wide recievers we recently have looked at but didn't work out.

Yep, to me it's not even close....

2nd choice Jubilee Dunbar because I have a mission to make sure he gets mentioned in any Saints history WR thread.

Ha! One of my earliest/clearest memories of watching a Saints game was seeing JD catch a long TD pass against the Rams....

You CANNOT be serious.

Wes Chandler... and it's not even close!

1978... only started 5 games
1979 started all 16 games (1069 yds/ 16.4 ypc)
1980 started all 16 games (975 yds/ 15.0 ypc)
1981 traded to the Chargers (started 15 games) 1142 yds/ 16.6 ypc

The following season was shortened by a strike (only 8 games). Yet, he had became the only player in NFL history to gain over 1000 yds in 8 games (total: 1032/ 21.1 ypc). He was 1st team All Pro that year.

Bum Phillips traded Wes because he seemed too anti-social at team off-duty functions. The one sports analyst Wayne Mack described was when the team had a picnic. Bum saw Wes off to himself and not mingling with the others. That observation led to Bum asking to trade Wes.

Inflated stats in the Air Coryell system in a weird, strike-shortened season. Meh. Colston had twice as many 1,000 yard seasons (6 vs. 3), almost 1,000 more total career yards in fewer games, 16 more touchdowns in fewer games.

Even ignoring the fact that Colston had a more productive career, athletes in the 2010s were far, far superior to athletes in the 1980s. If you take the least athletic WR in the modern NFL, they'd be one of the best athletes on the field when Chandler played. The question is "what Saints WR from the past do you want today", not "what Saints WR from the past, but given today's NFL athleticism do you want". Colston is/was four inches taller, bigger, stronger, faster, ran better routes, and had better hands than Chandler.

There's literally not a single thing that Chandler would be better at, except giving a bunch of old guys nostalgia boners while they tell people all about some slow WR from 40 years ago that they'd watch after they slogged back from school in the snow barefoot.

While I got nothin' but mad love for both Colston & Horn, cuz they both KILLED it!.. I still have 2 other WR's that I believe would be smooth as hell in this offense..

1). Eric Martin: that man could catch ANYTHING!.. & I mean ANYTHING!.. put him in a SP offense in the slot, and it'd be a 1st down everytime!.. MOVE DEM' CHAINS!!!!

2). Devery: he had so much speed, it wasn't even fair, he'd blow the pants off opposing secondaries before they even know what happened.. wayyyyyy too many times did I see DH just coast into the end-zone because DB's had absolutley no idea where he was, therefore, he's my bonafide #2, but only after he learned how to catch..

In closing, my current day offense, with the above said included would be something like this..

1). CGM
2). Devery
3). Eric Martin
4). Wes
5). Lance

IMO, that'd be a SICK 5-wide!.. & mind you that's NOT including Colston or Joe, but if I were to do that, Colston at the 2 and Joe at the 3.. but save that for another time.. LoL!

NW.

Inflated stats in the Air Coryell system in a weird, strike-shortened season. Meh. Colston had twice as many 1,000 yard seasons (6 vs. 3), almost 1,000 more total career yards in fewer games, 16 more touchdowns in fewer games.

Even ignoring the fact that Colston had a more productive career, athletes in the 2010s were far, far superior to athletes in the 1980s. If you take the least athletic WR in the modern NFL, they'd be one of the best athletes on the field when Chandler played. The question is "what Saints WR from the past do you want today", not "what Saints WR from the past, but given today's NFL athleticism do you want". Colston is/was four inches taller, bigger, stronger, faster, ran better routes, and had better hands than Chandler.

There's literally not a single thing that Chandler would be better at, except giving a bunch of old guys nostalgia boners while they tell people all about some slow WR from 40 years ago that they'd watch after they slogged back from school in the snow barefoot.

I see that tact and diplomacy is your strength in communication.

Touche'... it was pretty funny, I have to admit.

As opposed to inflated stats in the Payton-Brees system? What percentage of WR's & TE's have maintained their stats after leaving the Payton-Brees system?

The only two WRs in the Payton era who have left for another team before they were washed up are Stills and Cooks, both of whom maintained or improved upon their level of success here. Even Jimmy Graham who was pretty banged up and washed up had two good years in Seattle after he left here.

Can you provide an example of a WR who was successful here, left for another team (prior to being washed up) and didn't continue their success? I can't.

While I got nothin' but mad love for both Colston & Horn, cuz they both KILLED it!.. I still have 2 other WR's that I believe would be smooth as hell in this offense..

1). Eric Martin: that man could catch ANYTHING!.. & I mean ANYTHING!.. put him in a SP offense in the slot, and it'd be a 1st down everytime!.. MOVE DEM' CHAINS!!!!

2). Devery: he had so much speed, it wasn't even fair, he'd blow the pants off opposing secondaries before they even know what happened.. wayyyyyy too many times did I see DH just coast into the end-zone because DB's had absolutley no idea where he was, therefore, he's my bonafide #2, but only after he learned how to catch..

In closing, my current day offense, with the above said included would be something like this..

1). CGM
2). Devery
3). Eric Martin
4). Wes
5). Lance

IMO, that'd be a SICK 5-wide!.. & mind you that's NOT including Colston or Joe, but if I were to do that, Colston at the 2 and Joe at the 3.. but save that for another time.. LoL!

NW.

You're literally naming guys who were behind the WRs the thread is about on the depth chart and never in their entire career came close to their production. Eric Martin is garbage. Devery Henderson was an average #2 WR or a very good #3 WR. Lance Moore was a decent WR and nothing more. Ridiculous.

It's like saying "well sure Michael Irvin was really good but Alvin Harper was the deep threat on that team and we need a deep threat, so we would want him!". Of course not. You want Michael Irvin, because he's a much better player and provides more value to the team. In 10 years you people are going to be like "I'd rather have Ted Ginn than Michael Thomas because Ginn had speed!!!111". It's amazing how quickly some have forgot just how good Horn and Colston were.

Horn and Colston were the best WRs we've ever had. It's not close. Not even close to close. If you are ranking these WRs 1-10, Colston and Horn were like 9s and the guys you're naming were 5s and 6s.

You guys don't have to invent terrible arguments just to be different.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom