Which style of defense would you prefer and why? (1 Viewer)

Pick a style of defense...

• Stay Stat Quo (4/3)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Move to a 3/4 and bring in players to make it work

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Move to a Primary Cover 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play the "adjust on the fly" style (ala B-More and New England)

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
After looking at that Dome Patrol video... I got to thinking what type of defense would I like to see the black and gold employ next season. I took a look at the defenses that run the 3/4, and realized there are some good defenses that play that style (San Diego, Pittsburgh, Dallas, New England).

Then again... you look at the teams that run 4/3, and just about all of them play cover 2... and the list is impressive (Chicago, Tampa, Minnesota).

Then you have teams that play the 4/3... but play it in your face... man to man... and just get into your shirt on every play (Miami, J-Ville, Denver).

And then... you have a team that just plays defense... I don't even know what style it is... but you have the Ravens that just line up and play.. I even saw Ray Lewis playing middle safety (whatever position that is...), and throw in the Pats... they had 1 DT and 6 LBs on one play against the Colts a few years ago.

Which style would you like to see us go to?

Think the talent of the players you have has a lot to do with what style of D you would want to run. Some D's play to cover a weakness. Right now we have a lot of them. So I say adjust on the fly right now.

I think it's best to do whatever the rest of the league isn't doing, and that it's irrelevant what it is.

The 3-4 teams are succesful now because less people are doing it and it's something different to prepare for. First, during the dome patrol era, the 3-4 was great because it was unique. Then everybody started doing it, and it wasn't so magical, so everybody went back to the 4-3.

It started getting unique again, and more teams started doing it. The cycle is due to repeat again shortly.

You have to run what works for your personnel, but that aside, I'd like to run whatever everyone else isn't running so that we're something different to prepare for.

The talent in the NFL is so similar from team to team; scheme is the most controlling factor, I think.

I'd like to get some 3-3-5 sets with the linebackers outside linebackers blitzing from the edges in press coverage against teams with little pass threat. Of course this is Cover 0, so if the heat doesn't get there, you are going to give them 1 on 1 with a defensive back.

But I think we're playing a lot of 4-3 Cover 1 right now, which shows a lot of faith in the defensive backs. That's our best formation and coverage for our personnel right now.

But you should definitely adjust to the team you're playing. One constant I wouldn't mind though is an attacking defense. An attacking defense is probably the only way to beat Peyton Manning, and I'm sure the Pats are going to bring some. San Diego sure put it on them by attacking. And against a rookie QB, it should make them scream.

Tampa ran the Cover 2 successfully for years, but I still don't like it as a base defense. A good veteran WR like Joe Horn will just go camp out in the open areas. Or a WR like Colston will just run past the CB and school the safety 1 on 1, which we did to their Cover 2 in the Dome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom