Whiskey Thread (4 Viewers)

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Did a search and didn't see one. Dont know if anybody has the interest in talking aboutit or sharing their favorites
Balvenie Caribbean Cask is one of mine. An incredibly smooth whiskey and the rum cask aging gives it a unique, sweet flavor
balvenie-14-year-old-caribbean-cask-whisky.jpg

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
Had some of this Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style this weekend and I really enjoyed it.

I also had some Maker's 46 at the same gathering, and the Old Forester blew it away.

I've heard good things about Japanese whiskey, anyone know a good one that isn't $300?

OP
Dago

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
Had some of this Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style this weekend and I really enjoyed it.

I also had some Maker's 46 at the same gathering, and the Old Forester blew it away.

I've heard good things about Japanese whiskey, anyone know a good one that isn't $300?
I have tried 2 or 3 Japanese whiskies and can't claim to have been blown away...especially for the price. Been a minute since I tried them so I don't remember which I got

I do have a bottle of Black Bull 21 put away for a special occasion. Normally I look down on blends...not a JW fan at all. For the money, I can do Monkey Shoulder

At any rate, the reviews for the Black Bull 21 sound great

Reaction score

If you can get hold of the Suntory one I mentioned earlier. It's called 'The Chita' and I think will likely be in the $50-60 price range jun20-chitajapanese.jpg

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score

Japanese whiskey became trendy so the price went nuts. I blame Pewdiepie. There's also something weird about the standards regarding the definition of Japanese whiskey that I'm too lazy to look up.

I have two bottles of sake that I picked up from Costco that will find their way into somebody else's house eventually. I don't care for this particular stuff.

Edit: my laziness won. It was either sit and find out what it is that is problematic about Japanese whiskey or fold laundry and put it away.

The problem is that there aren't many rules about what can be called Japanese whiskey so you never know what you're getting. The top brands have been bled dry and it'll be a few more years before their stuff is plentiful enough for the price to normalize.

You might be able to find Akashi.

The original distiller of Japanese whiskey was told that they didn't like his stuff and he was told to make something that people would buy. He moved North and started his own distillery. He trained in Scotland so his stuff is a lot like scotch (I've herd)

It's expensive though. It's called Nikka Yoichi.

Last edited:

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
Basil Hayden’s is my go to, bang for buck.
I still havent tried it but I want to. I had one in my hand the other day, but after talking to my guy, he had a bottle of Eagle Rare stashed away for me so I got that instead. He's also going to get a bottle of Blantons for me for $70. I'm pretty excited about it.

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Basil Hayden’s is my go to, bang for buck.
easily one of the most boring bourbons out there. blanton's is #1, but basil isn't far behind. oh, that's right.. both are the same formula, though distilled differently. benchmark 8 > the rest of buffalo trace brands (technically, sazerac).

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
I’m getting into Islay Scotch at the moment, and I’ve tried Laphroig 10 and Ardbeg 10. Holy smoke! It’s like drinking a campfire.
Sounds awesome. I've had a few Scotchs like that years ago and loved them. I've always want to get a bottle, but had no idea what brand or style I've even had. Which do you think was the best "campfire" one? I'll have to look for it.

Devildog

Combobulated
Reaction score
Sounds awesome. I've had a few Scotchs like that years ago and loved them. I've always want to get a bottle, but had no idea what brand or style I've even had. Which do you think was the best "campfire" one? I'll have to look for it.
Out of Laphroig and Ardbeg I’d get Ardbeg. It has a little more flavor.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Oban, Laphroig, Talisker. Haven’t had Ardberg.

wyrmer

Aboard the crazy train
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You might be able to find Akashi.
Akashi noage is great, regular Akashi on the other hand, kinda meh!

Out of Laphroig and Ardbeg I’d get Ardbeg. It has a little more flavor.
Ardbeg tastes like smoky tar in a bottle. If you're into that, great. Alot of people find it too smoky though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)