Whiskey Thread (6 Viewers)

$65 for Macallan is not worth it. It is much too sweet. Granted, I prefer peat and smoke in my scotch, but yuck. I would rather Glenfiddich.

I like both but I do prefer Glen Fiddich. But, I know you don't really like things that are sweet. But, yeah, Macallan 12 should be at most $50 probably.

And how do you feel about the taste of iodine and sea water in your scotch?

Actually almost picked a bottle of Foursquare Redoubtable with a 14 year age statement couple weeks ago. I am regretting it.
That's the newest one. I just got 2 this week but haven't opened one yet. They'll go fast, but they are all good to great. I recommend one of the year ones, 2005, 2007, or 2008 to whisk(e)y drinkers. Or if you want their entry-level stuff, Total Wine has the exclusives, R'L Seale 10, and Doorly's 5, 8, 12, and XO are all under $30.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
I've never gone nuclear on price before. Are there any "can't miss - worth it" scotches in that upper stratosphere that anyone's tried if I become so inclined to splurge?

jameson is simply awesome.

redbreast 12 is even better, just double the price. the 18 sucks though. very oily.
best if you mix it with old bananas and let it sit a few days. Takes the taste of Jameison and hides it a bit.

I didn't add Buffalo Trace because it's getting so difficult to find now. People buy it all up like it's Pappy. Elijah Craig Small Batch is starting to become easier to find in stock and is a worthy inclusion if its readily available where you live. I'm not a fan of Four Roses Small Batch, but Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition is dang tasty.

I want to try the Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition, but I haven't seen any yet.

Buffalo Trace is plentiful here. Rouses literally has cases of it sitting in the aisle. I'll send you 2 bottles for an Eagle Rare LOL

I also want to try the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, but it's a little pricey.

I've never gone nuclear on price before. Are there any "can't miss - worth it" scotches in that upper stratosphere that anyone's tried if I become so inclined to splurge?

That's really hard to say. For example, I love Balvenie scotch. Their 12 year Double Wood and their 14 year Caribbean Cask (xtra aged in barrels that were used to age rum) are two of my favorites and cost $65 or less

One time I bought their 21 year for about $250 and I just couldn't reconcile the cost with the taste. But that is probably because of my Jewish blood

I want to try the Four Roses Small Batch Limited Edition, but I haven't seen any yet.

Buffalo Trace is plentiful here. Rouses literally has cases of it sitting in the aisle. I'll send you 2 bottles for an Eagle Rare LOL

I also want to try the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, but it's a little pricey.
Lol... I'm full up on ER and BT, actually. I even scored a bottle of BT Bourbon Cream last week.

d33b8fb~3.jpg

That's really hard to say. For example, I love Balvenie scotch. Their 12 year Double Wood and their 14 year Caribbean Cask (xtra aged in barrels that were used to age rum) are two of my favorites and cost $65 or less

One time I bought their 21 year for about $250 and I just couldn't reconcile the cost with the taste. But that is probably because of my Jewish blood
+1. I almost always have a bottle of Balvenie open.

I am pro sea water but anti iodine.

Then you don't really want that bottle of Laphroaig that I have. It's plenty smokey and salty which I find interesting, but it also has a strong iodine flavor.

On a side note, here is a link to the Laphroaig ad campaign where these use quotes people have about how it tastes. One of my favorites is "A symphony of smoke. It tastes like a burning hospital. Earth never tasted so good."

https://www.google.com/search?q=lap...AgREAE&biw=1080&bih=1777#imgrc=NQIctbmQdUjkbM

Yeah, I'm the first to admit I'm not man enough to handle Laphroaig.

I wanted to like it, but when I tasted it I couldn't help but wonder why anyone would drink this and why anyone would intentionally make something taste like that. But, apparently lots of people really love it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom