Whiskey Thread (3 Viewers)

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I have read that 7-12 years is the sweet spot for bourbon. It's rare to find bourbon older than 12 years that's really good.
Except of course for barrel picks and private label wines. I don't hold barrel picks from big chains like Total Wine in high regard. If it's a local place and I find that their people bottle stuff that's what I like, I might stick with their barrel picks.

TW has a couple private label wines that we buy frequently, including an $8 Malbec.
Barrel picks are the same for any place. They either get samples shipped to them or go to the distillery and taste there. The distillery narrows it down beforehand to a handful of options that are for sale and you choose from those. Local places have their trusted staff members taste through to collectively decide what they and their customers will enjoy. Some store put more effort into this than others.

Private label wine can be anywhere on the spectrum from junk with a custom label to really cool stuff specifically blended by legit wineries with non-disclosure agreements. The latter is where having a trusted store relationship comes in.

Also, I agree that bourbon can get too old pretty quickly.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
TW has a couple private label wines that we buy frequently, including an $8 Malbec.
Maybe Phebus? We are always on the lookout for inexpensive Malbecs - we’ve probably tried most of them there.

OP
Dago

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
At the Oak Point near my home, they actually have a chalk board behind the liquor dept counter where they keep track of the number of times they get asked if they have Blantons lol

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
At the Oak Point near my home, they actually have a chalk board behind the liquor dept counter where they keep track of the number of times they get asked if they have Blantons lol
I won't say which store, but there was one I used to frequent that kept a physical sheet of people to call who were asking for pappy. The number of times people would ask was comical. When the customer wouldn't take no for an answer they'd offer to put them on the call list. They'd dramtically unfold the taped together sheets of paper with hundreds of names to add them to the bottom.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
Dorignac's today:

IMG_1092.jpg

@Madmarsha

IMG_1091.jpg
Went there for my first time today to look at bourbon and WOW what a selection. I was pretty impressed. Some of the prices were very good and some not so much, but it's nice to compare. They seem to have more store picks than other places I've been to, too.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Went there for my first time today to look at bourbon and WOW what a selection. I was pretty impressed. Some of the prices were very good and some not so much, but it's nice to compare. They seem to have more store picks than other places I've been to, too.
Yeah, it really increases my grocery bill every week. Luckily, my wife like what whiskey does to my personality.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
I saw this at the Rouses by my house... I didn't buy it, but I think I have to because it's genius. It's not a great value per ounce at $45, but it's genius.

zatsnzapps

Do you have a pwobwem...?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Bawlmer, Merlyn via Birmingham and Metairie/Kenner
I saw this at the Rouses by my house... I didn't buy it, but I think I have to because it's genius. It's not a great value per ounce at $45, but it's genius.

I actually have that - got it as a gift and haven't cracked open any of them yet.

Pikesville (the namesake town) is just a short drive from my house.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

It's not a great deal for that much whiskey, but it is a great idea and I wish more distilleries would do it. Especially for their higher end stuff. It's hard to decide to put out $70 or more on whiskey that you know nothing about. I look for reviews on stuff and that helps, but taste is so subjective reviews have limited usefulness. Sometimes you can find the little "airplane" bottles, but not so much for higher end stuff, so a tasting set would be a great way to decide what you want to put out $70 or more on purchasing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom