Whiskey Thread (5 Viewers)

This company did a tasting back in 2014 when I still lived in Austin. I was impressed. I am not typically a whiskey drinker. Primarily due to the fact that I know very little about it or the proper ways to drink it so went to this tasting and learned some stuff.
Yeah, I learned because I wanted to drink like a man and stop drinking all those fruity girlie drinks.

Yeah, I learned because I wanted to drink like a man and stop drinking all those fruity girlie drinks.

I stopped that long time ago but have gravitated towards vodka and gin until one of my friends brought back a special bottle of Jameson from Ireland and I was like "man, this is really nice" and decided I should probably learn more about it.

If I'm out and want a cocktail to sip on, it's generally gin soda with a splash of lime or vodka soda with a splash of lime. Easy to drink and not sweet. I can't even stand tonic. Yuck.

while not a fruity drink, I have recently found I really like Moscow Mules
I just never really do mixed drinks other than a Sazerac, Old Fashioned, and a filthy martini

while not a fruity drink, I have recently found I really like Moscow Mules
I just never really do mixed drinks other than a Sazerac, Old Fashioned, and a filthy martini
Yeah, I'll do those drinks, too. And Mark & Stormy. I'm just off anything with simple syrup or any mixers in it now.

And Mark & Stormy.
Is that bourbon and ginger ale?

Just an aside that Goslings own the drink name "Dark & Stormy". If it's not Black Seal rum and G's ginger beer, you're simply drinking rum and ginger. :pirate:

Makers mark cask strength 67% + Larceny 33% = poorer mans pappy

And yes I tried It....... Its freaking delicious!

You can attempt it in a regular whiskey glass by doing a two finger pour and a one finger pour. You don't have to get it perfect to make the magic potion.

Is that bourbon and ginger ale?

Just an aside that Goslings own the drink name "Dark & Stormy". If it's not Black Seal rum and G's ginger beer, you're simply drinking rum and ginger. :pirate:

no she absolutely meant Mark and Stormy and Mark doesn't appreciate you trying to cut him out

I am a Scotch (Islay and Speyside) and Rye/Rye Bourbon guy. Lot's of good stuff mentioned already. Although basic, I would add Knob Creek, Bulleit and Bookers to the Rye/Bourbon list (i don't think those were mentioned yet). On the Scotch side I am a big fan of both Laphroaig and Lagavulin (i even "own" a plot at Laphroaig which i plan to visit...i think they still run that promotion where you can get a plot if anyone is interested). To those I would add Ardbeg (specifically Ardbeg Uigeadail) and Talisker (10, or Storm). Basically, i like to drink smoked peat.

I also recently discovered the infinity/last pours bottle concept and decided my first one would truly be a "last pours" of any and every whiskey i own. So far that is about 3 Scotches and 2 Bourbons and the blend tastes really damn good.

I am a Scotch (Islay and Speyside) and Rye/Rye Bourbon guy. Lot's of good stuff mentioned already. Although basic, I would add Knob Creek, Bulleit and Bookers to the Rye/Bourbon list (i don't think those were mentioned yet). On the Scotch side I am a big fan of both Laphroaig and Lagavulin (i even "own" a plot at Laphroaig which i plan to visit...i think they still run that promotion where you can get a plot if anyone is interested). To those I would add Ardbeg (specifically Ardbeg Uigeadail) and Talisker (10, or Storm). Basically, i like to drink smoked peat.

I also recently discovered the infinity/last pours bottle concept and decided my first one would truly be a "last pours" of any and every whiskey i own. So far that is about 3 Scotches and 2 Bourbons and the blend tastes really damn good.

good selections there...Knob Creek single barrel is amazing

On the Scotch side I am a big fan of both Laphroaig and Lagavulin (i even "own" a plot at Laphroaig which i plan to visit...i think they still run that promotion where you can get a plot if anyone is interested). To those I would add Ardbeg (specifically Ardbeg Uigeadail) and Talisker (10, or Storm). Basically, i like to drink smoked peat.

Have you tried the Caol Ila 12? Not quite as "Webber Grill ashes" as Laphroaig can be (and I say this as someone who loves Quarter Cask), and I find that the more briney/iodine/smoked salmon/cured meat peatiness is really appealing to me. Talisker 10 is still on my "to try" list -- I've heard such great things about it that I think I'm afraid to try it for fear of disappointment. Do you watch Whisky.com on YouTube? I've learned a ton from Horst and his son.

Good thread. I'm more of a bourbon guy than Scotch or Irish. I can't do the pete. I know there are some scotches that are less pety than others. I always forget what to look for (highlands vs. lowlands etc...) I do have an Buchanan 18 that goes down pretty smooth and a few others for company.

I'm at about 70 bottles of bourbon at last count. A little bit of everything. The bourbon market has gotten crazy with flippers on the secondary market. I refuse to play the secondary market game for bourbon.

My bargain suggestions, Weller 12 (at retail), Henry McKennen or Buffalo Trace. All should be $35 or less. Although, I've seen Weller 12 go for as much as $150.

Good thread. I'm more of a bourbon guy than Scotch or Irish. I can't do the pete. I know there are some scotches that are less pety than others. I always forget what to look for (highlands vs. lowlands etc...) I do have an Buchanan 18 that goes down pretty smooth and a few others for company.

I'm at about 70 bottles of bourbon at last count. A little bit of everything. The bourbon market has gotten crazy with flippers on the secondary market. I refuse to play the secondary market game for bourbon.

My bargain suggestions, Weller 12 (at retail), Henry McKennen or Buffalo Trace. All should be $35 or less. Although, I've seen Weller 12 go for as much as $150.

Sounds like a nice collection
Sounds like you would be looking for a highland ir speyside scotch. Glenfiddich is a good gateway drug

On Scotch:

After much trial-and-error it seems that the best approach to selecting Scotches may be seasonal.

In Spring, try Dalwhinnie 15. Light-bodied with malty hints of honey and walnut. Actually, this is the best single year-round single-malt and the best "gateway" for the un-initiated.

In Summer, two are especially good. Aultmore 12 is light and fresh with grassy/lemony notes. Old Pultney 12 has a refreshing hint of sea salt without the seaweedy-peatyness of the Islays.

In Fall, that's when you should bring out the woody-sherry ones. Dalmore 12 has a great roasted coffee / toasted toffee flavor. Balvennie 12 Double-Wood is great all-round. Auchentoshan Three Wood is an incredible sherry bomb if you are in the mood for that.

In Winter, you need the warmth of peat. Lagavullin 16 is perfect by the fireside. Highland Park 12 for earthy smoke without the Islay seaweedy flavor. Bowmore 15 "Darkest" combines the woody-sherry flavor with lots of earthy peat. And, if you are man enough, on a cold rainy night nothing beats the delicious blend of cigarettes, seaweed, and sheep urine that is Laphroaig 10.

All of the Scotches listed above cost about $70. If you spend less than that, it very likely will not be good. If you spend much more than that, it probably won't be much (if any) better.

Generally, all the good brands have a range of "age statement" single malts. The lowest age statement for each brand (usually 10-12 years) is almost always the best value, and often the best tasting overall. E.g., many prefer Balvennie 12 ($70) to Balvennie 17 ($150). Many also have "no age statement" versions which are sometimes good but usually not - most are marketing gimmicks and/or emergency releases necessary to meet the demand which outpaced the aging supply when the 2011-12 "craft cocktail" trend started.

Only EVER mix two things with Scotch:
(1) nothing
(2) a little water

I bought a bottle of David Nicholson 1843 for $28. It was recommended to me and I admit it's pretty good for the price. It has a nice woody nose and that's a little smoky when sipped. I feel like I tasted some sweetness like caramel, too. It's good to sip and I bet better mixed. It's not a bad way to spend $30.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom