Whiskey Thread (2 Viewers)

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I would never, but I know it smells fantastic. It's actually whiskey-infused cherry liqueur and not cherry-infused whiskey. I would be concerned that it tastes like medicine, however. Probably best suited to mix with coke, although it might make for an interesting Manhattan.
I just picked up a mini. Gonna try it this weekend I think. The Manhattan idea sounds interesting.

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I love Eagle Rare, but I'm not a huge Basil Hayden fan. Sounds like you enjoy the sweeter bourbons. You should try some Old Forester products like 1910, 1920 (not as sweet as 1910), or Rye. Those are all pretty sweet. Also, the Early Times Bottle In Bond I posted earlier is a good, sweet pour and is very affordable. It's become my go to since Eagle Rare is so hard to find. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is also pretty sweet and smells like syrup and pancakes.
Yeah, I have a sweet tooth anyway and gets me over the "acquired taste" portion of the evening.

The Nomad

RESIST
Reaction score
Recent opens-
1792 full proof
Some of these bottles are exceptional and some are meh. I got an exceptional this time.

Elijah Craig barrel proof-
Really solid, very good, but not spectacular.

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I love Eagle Rare, but I'm not a huge Basil Hayden fan. Sounds like you enjoy the sweeter bourbons. You should try some Old Forester products like 1910, 1920 (not as sweet as 1910), or Rye. Those are all pretty sweet. Also, the Early Times Bottle In Bond I posted earlier is a good, sweet pour and is very affordable. It's become my go to since Eagle Rare is so hard to find. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is also pretty sweet and smells like syrup and pancakes.

The internet goes crazy over Mellow Corn, but I haven't tried it yet, eventhough I've been tempted to grab a bottle since it's so cheap.

Also, if you like red wine, give this a try. I think it's pretty good:

menage_trois_bourbon_cab_18mv_750.jpg

hard pass

UK SAINTS

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I do. I look at it every time I'm in the store ... but I mind it.

So the dude at Total Wine tried to sell me Chestnut Farms. I didn't get it but they said it's their best seller (also alluded to how some of the other stuff they can't get, which I thought was interesting). So I didn't go for that at $60 though I liked the bottle. But instead I went for this instead at $40 .. because port.

Have you tried this, yet?

What is your opinion?

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a sweet tooth anyway and gets me over the "acquired taste" portion of the evening.

If you like sweet (and I do) a Manhattan is probably very good option for you (2 parts rye or bourbon to 1 part sweet vermouth, dash of bitters, and a maraschino cherry. Buy the good dark cherries like Luxado. They are expensive but worth it).

I think Bulleit Rye is an excellent Rye for mixing. It has some nice spice that hold up against a mixer. And the price is excellent.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
I've been in a rut stuck on Four Roses Single Barrel for several weeks. I just like it too much to drink other stuff.

But, the summer heat is making me want to cheat on whisky with some gin cocktails.
Four Roses Single Barrel is very good. I like it a lot. It's the bourbon that got me into wanting to try more bourbons. I'm not too much for Rye, so I also like the Four Roses Yellow Label to make Sazaracs since it's a higher rye mashbill than other bourbons.

However, I've really been into high proof bourbons lately, so I haven't replaced my last bottle of Four Roses SiB I killed. I'm trying to find a bottle of Stagg Jr, with not much luck. I also want to find a Smoke Wagon Uncut Unfiltered.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
I've been in a rut stuck on Four Roses Single Barrel for several weeks. I just like it too much to drink other stuff.

But, the summer heat is making me want to cheat on whisky with some gin cocktails.
That's a good rut to be in. I've been drinking Smokewagon UCUF the last couple weeks.

OP
Dago

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
Got a bottle of Compass Box Spice Tree tonight. Normally, I am not a fan of blends but I really like this one

Smooth with a BIG round malty flavor with fruit and honey. On the finish, it's woody, nutty, some cinnamon

Good stuff

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
If you have never had New Riff, https://tasteselectrepeat.com/ has a barrel pick of the bourbon and another of the rye for $62 each. I ordered one of each ad with tax shipping, etc. it came to $134.

I have ordered an Old Forester SiB from them recently that was very good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom