Whiskey Thread (5 Viewers)

Picked up a bottle of this today. Anybody tried?
Belle Meade is underrated. I enjoy their finished stuff, especially the Madeira Cask finish. Its a fantastic pour with a good steak. They do an annual release of bourbon finished in barrels that held honey that previously held bourbon.

One of these days I'll find a bottle.

That will be a glorious day.

Belle Meade is underrated. I enjoy their finished stuff, especially the Madeira Cask finish. Its a fantastic pour with a good steak. They do an annual release of bourbon finished in barrels that held honey that previously held bourbon.

One of these days I'll find a bottle.

That will be a glorious day.
So far, I'm pretty impressed with this bottle. I appreciate the info on the cask finish. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the "honey finish" too.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
Visiting my son this week and found out he has a Total Wine ~5min away! Picked up a first-ever Redbreast 12yr old and on impulse Templeton Rye (MGP). The Redbreast is quite nice, the rye has no grade as I've no idea what a rye is supposed to taste like... aside from the non-critical review, it fits nicely in a glass and goes down well, which fundamentally means 'it's okay'...

1hr in on the Redbreast...whoa, this can be dangerous... very smooth and tasty.

Last edited:
I've never been a fan of whiskey / bourbon. I've historically been a vodka (for mixers) or Rum guy. Lately, I've been digging on some aged rums to drink on the rocks.

After a coworker was talking about one some of the big bosses have been drinking lately and he enjoyed, I decided to give two a shot. The first was the one I remember seeing some of the big bosses drinking 2 years ago at a company dinner event.

Basil Hayden's. I wasn't sure which one they got, so I got the small bottle of the Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey. I was surprised at how it had a touch of that bite, but went down smooth without that burn I've come to hate any time someone tries to get me to drink bourbon or whiskey.

So, after a moderate success there, thus last weekend I went with the Balvenie my coworker was talking up. Of course he was right again. Not sure I'll be stocking up on bottles too often, but the Toasted American Oak is good.

Screenshot_20210816-213730_Gallery.jpg

HA!

There was a period of about 25yrs where I had maybe, MAYBE, ~10 drinks total of hard alcohol... it just didn't appeal to me in any way, but Covid quarantine, Youtube (Whisky Tribe) and SaintsReport changed all that. I now have a nice assortment of bourbon, scotch and now Irish whisky. I'm set pretty well for the next hurricane, snowpocalypse, Saints season or long-term quarantine...

It's been a fun adventure.

I've never been a fan of whiskey / bourbon. I've historically been a vodka (for mixers) or Rum guy. Lately, I've been digging on some aged rums to drink on the rocks.

After a coworker was talking about one some of the big bosses have been drinking lately and he enjoyed, I decided to give two a shot. The first was the one I remember seeing some of the big bosses drinking 2 years ago at a company dinner event.

Basil Hayden's. I wasn't sure which one they got, so I got the small bottle of the Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey. I was surprised at how it had a touch of that bite, but went down smooth without that burn I've come to hate any time someone tries to get me to drink bourbon or whiskey.

So, after a moderate success there, thus last weekend I went with the Balvenie my coworker was talking up. Of course he was right again. Not sure I'll be stocking up on bottles too often, but the Toasted American Oak is good.

Screenshot_20210816-213730_Gallery.jpg
The entire Balvenie range is great. Can't go wrong

Their Caribbean Cask is the best rum finished whiskey I have ever had by far

Anybody in here ever try St. George Baller Single Malt? Love it or hate it, reviewers all agree its VERY unique

The whiskey is distilled in eau de vie pot stills and aged 3-4 years in bourbon casks and French oak wine casks, it is then filtered through maple charcoal and finished in casks that previously held St. George’s house-made umeshu, a Japanese plum liqueur.

Pretty much a moral imperative now

images (3).jpeg

So, Balvenie toasted oak. Basil hayden's straight Kentucky whiskey.

What are similar, sipping whiskeys, but a bit cheaper. I'd drink Balvenie a lot more, but $80/bottle slows that down. (Which is a good thing).

Wife and I went out tonight and they had High West Rye on the bar, so I tried it. I think I'm in love.
Rendezvous or Double Rye?

TW just released a Barrel Select of the Double Rye that was aged in Islay casks for 9 months. I haven't opened my bottle yet, but I am told it's quite tasty.

So, Balvenie toasted oak. Basil hayden's straight Kentucky whiskey.

What are similar, sipping whiskeys, but a bit cheaper. I'd drink Balvenie a lot more, but $80/bottle slows that down. (Which is a good thing).
FYI... Basil Hayden just released a toasted version that replaced the rye with brown rice in the mashbill. It hit stores in DFW this week for $50. I passed because BH isn't my thing, but I bet it's good if you like sweeter bourbons.

Fun fact: Basil Hayden has the same mashbill (63/27/10) as Old Grandad, which has a picture of... Basil Hayden on the label. If you want something cheaper, I would start there. Four Roses SIB and Bulleit also have a mashbill with the grains in a similar ratio. OGD 114 has a bit of a cult following. I keep a bottle of OGD BIB around for mixing. I prefer high rye stuff for cocktails. Basil Hayden is very approachable, so naturally a lot of people start there when getting into the hobby.

I was given an extraordinary gift last night. And, a damn fine one earlier in the day. Not sure what to make of what I did to deserve one of them, but that's the best kind.

Attachments

• 20210903_215340.jpg
    20210903_215340.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 17
Old Forrester released their Birthday Bourbon this week. I've read that it is very good. I'm sure that I won't find a bottle though. 😞

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom