Whiskey Thread (3 Viewers)

Look around the store for the 375ml bottle. It should run you $30 or less. Total Wine almost always has them.
In Virgina, only place I can get it is ABC. Total Wine is exactly that. No good stuff, lol.

On Scotch:

After much trial-and-error it seems that the best approach to selecting Scotches may be seasonal.

In Spring, try Dalwhinnie 15. Light-bodied with malty hints of honey and walnut. Actually, this is the best single year-round single-malt and the best "gateway" for the un-initiated.

In Summer, two are especially good. Aultmore 12 is light and fresh with grassy/lemony notes. Old Pultney 12 has a refreshing hint of sea salt without the seaweedy-peatyness of the Islays.

In Fall, that's when you should bring out the woody-sherry ones. Dalmore 12 has a great roasted coffee / toasted toffee flavor. Balvennie 12 Double-Wood is great all-round. Auchentoshan Three Wood is an incredible sherry bomb if you are in the mood for that.

In Winter, you need the warmth of peat. Lagavullin 16 is perfect by the fireside. Highland Park 12 for earthy smoke without the Islay seaweedy flavor. Bowmore 15 "Darkest" combines the woody-sherry flavor with lots of earthy peat. And, if you are man enough, on a cold rainy night nothing beats the delicious blend of cigarettes, seaweed, and sheep urine that is Laphroaig 10.

All of the Scotches listed above cost about $70. If you spend less than that, it very likely will not be good. If you spend much more than that, it probably won't be much (if any) better.

Generally, all the good brands have a range of "age statement" single malts. The lowest age statement for each brand (usually 10-12 years) is almost always the best value, and often the best tasting overall. E.g., many prefer Balvennie 12 ($70) to Balvennie 17 ($150). Many also have "no age statement" versions which are sometimes good but usually not - most are marketing gimmicks and/or emergency releases necessary to meet the demand which outpaced the aging supply when the 2011-12 "craft cocktail" trend started.

Only EVER mix two things with Scotch:
(1) nothing
(2) a little water
A few on here that are my "need to try " list.

Have you tried the Dalmore 12 yr sherry cask? (Or anyone else,.for that matter). Is the regular 12 year still preferred?

A few on here that are my "need to try " list.

Have you tried the Dalmore 12 yr sherry cask? (Or anyone else,.for that matter). Is the regular 12 year still preferred?
No I have not had that one. Based on how I like Dalmore 12 at $65, the Dalmore 12 Sherry Cask is probably worth trying at the $80 that it costs. I spent more than twice that for the Dalmore CIgar Malt and it was fine but not worth the price.

No I have not had that one. Based on how I like Dalmore 12 at $65, the Dalmore 12 Sherry Cask is probably worth trying at the $80 that it costs. I spent more than twice that for the Dalmore CIgar Malt and it was fine but not worth the price.
The Cigar Malt on the market today is different than the original one and definitely not as good

I just opened another bottle of Lagavulin Offerman Edition.

Yall...if you are a whiskey lover you need to get a bottle of this while you still can since it's a limited edition

Check out these 2 reviews...its truly an excellent whiskey for this price

I just opened another bottle of Lagavulin Offerman Edition.
Yall...if you are a whiskey lover you need to get a bottle of this while you still can since it's a limited edition
Agreed! A little malty/chocolaty and not as seaweedy as the usual Lagavullin.

Where are y'all getting it from? I've done an online check of a couple places around here and I'm not seeing it.
I get it from Oak Point grocery

Picked up a bottle of Chattanooga Bottled in Bond after being talked into it by the store owner I trust. It's pretty damn good.
It's really unfair that a distillery this new is cranking out such good stuff. Their cask strength doesn't drink like it's 111 proof at all. The rye is fantastic. They make experimental stuff all the time that they sell at the distillery only, but their single barrels and Tawny Port casks finished bourbon is an absolute steal at the price they sell it.

Tequila barrel finish, apricot brandy finish, fig infused amaro finish, rum barrel, mead barrel, maple syrup barrel, etc are all things they have produced in the past at the distillery.

I just picked up a bottle of the standard Dalmore 12 year. .

I also got some macallan 12 double cask. Never had it. Figured I should try a standard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom