Whiskey Thread (4 Viewers)

Do yourself the favor of buying any Boss Hog Samurai Warrior you ever come across. It's the best thing ever, but unfortunately it's rEEdiculous expensive.
I've never seen or known to look for it. Will see if ABC carries it here.

Totally agree about Bulleit Rye. I know it's just standard MGP rye but I really like it more than other ryes I've had. Even more expensive stuff, but I haven't gotten up to Whistlepig yet.

I had heard that BT was impossible to get other places, but the phenomenon didn't hit New Orleans until recently. But, yeah, there is a lot of Bourbon to try from Kentucky and a lot that is better than BT. Not that BT is bad, but it's not top of the line like some seem to think it is.
I'll tell you crazy it is for BT stuff. They just loaded their April Tour calendar this morning at 0800 AM. They have like 8 different tours and most of them start every hour between 10AM and 3PM. The entire month of April is pretty much sold out 2 hours later.

Insane...

Do yourself the favor of buying any Boss Hog Samurai Warrior you ever come across. It's the best thing ever, but unfortunately it's rEEdiculous expensive.
I have to say that I have tried 3 different WP BH Ryes. As a rye lover, I am simply not a fan. I acknowledge everyone's palate is different and encourage anyone to sample it at a bar first. I have been monumentally disappointed in them. I will continue to try them, but I am not hopeful after multiple sample of those three tries.

For the dollar, you're almost certainly going to be better off opting for the HW Double Rye, HW Rendezvous Rye, Alberta CS Rye, a Knob Creek CS Rye, Pikesville Rye, Stellum Rye almost all of which are probably in stock, right now at TW or a chain liquor store.

I have to say that I have tried 3 different WP BH Ryes. As a rye lover, I am simply not a fan. I acknowledge everyone's palate is different and encourage anyone to sample it at a bar first. I have been monumentally disappointed in them. I will continue to try them, but I am not hopeful after multiple sample of those three tries.

For the dollar, you're almost certainly going to be better off opting for the HW Double Rye, HW Rendezvous Rye, Alberta CS Rye, a Knob Creek CS Rye, Pikesville Rye, Stellum Rye almost all of which are probably in stock, right now at TW or a chain liquor store.

I haven't enjoyed any of the other ones. The Samurai is the only one. The Magellan tastes like a hippy's dorm room and probably one of the nastiest things I've tried, but the Samurai is the bomb. Too much $ for sure though.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU

I'm drawing a blank. HW is?

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
The strange thing is that 2 or 3 years ago you could get all the Buffalo Trace you wanted around New Orleans for $19.99 per bottle. I was an even bigger value for the price at that point, but now it's hard to even find a bottle on the shelves. Bulleit used to be the same price around here, but I haven't noticed the price recently. To me Bulleit is more of a mixer Bourbon, but it's definitely solid.
I have been told it is a regional thing. My brother can’t find BT or Eagle Rare down there and I have no problems finding it up here.

Side note I found a place that serves Double Eagle Very Rare, but it is $400 an ounce…

Fun place to visit. The Double Rye is mediocre, but the Rendevous Rye is very good.

If you want to invest in a great rye, Hill Rock is far better than any WhistlePig option. More nose, more taste, more body.

The thing about rye is that it is usually better in cocktails than by itself. So, paying for high quality is not as important as it is for bourbon or scotch.

I have been told it is a regional thing. My brother can’t find BT or Eagle Rare down there and I have no problems finding it up here.

Side note I found a place that serves Double Eagle Very Rare, but it is $400 an ounce…
$400 an ounce? Holy crap. Very rare sounds about right, lol.

I've got a 23 year old pappy I'm going to drink the next time the Saints win the superbowl, but $400 per oz is insanity.
Indeed. It would suck so much to drop a bottle full of that.

And really...is there a right or wrong way to drink it?

Thanks. Redbreast and the "Spots" are the ones I have the most interest in. It would be nice to find a tasting before buying, but that's rare in these COVID days. I also wish that more whiskey came in the airplane bottles so it would be cheaper to try new things. But, I hear that those bottles are not at all cost effective for the distillers.

Anyway, I think I've talked myself into a trip out to look for new whiskey this weekend and maybe some rum.
I'm doing your homework for you Widge. I got a bottle of Redbreast 12.

The part that sort of tastes like Jameson (the bletch part) is less, and goes away fast. Has a thicker oily mouth feel. The nose is nice. Kind of a honey sweet.

I still prefer scotch. But this is sip worthy.

I'm doing your homework for you Widge. I got a bottle of Redbreast 12.

The part that sort of tastes like Jameson (the bletch part) is less, and goes away fast. Has a thicker oily mouth feel. The nose is nice. Kind of a honey sweet.

I still prefer scotch. But this is sip worthy.
I feel that way about most Irish whiskey....much prefer scotch. I like a full flavor whiskey that you can almost chew. You can keep those light chardonnay whiskeys

I feel that way about most Irish whiskey....much prefer scotch. I like a full flavor whiskey that you can almost chew. You can keep those light chardonnay whiskeys

Yeah, I have a feelling Irish is just never going to be my thing. I too like a full flavor whiskey with a long finish. And I like that thick mouth feel. If I want something lighter I'd rather a rye or a high rye bourbon.

I'm not sure if it's fortunate or just unfortunate for my checkbook, but I've really settled into the Islay scotches and I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to other stuff. But, I tend to go through streaks of drinking different whiskeys. I've gone through rye, bourbon, and scotch phases at different times.

Currently I'm obsessed with Ardbeg An Oa. The first time I had it I thought it was okay, but for some reason the last few times I had it I find it to be amazing and my favorite Ardbeg.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom