Whiskey Thread (5 Viewers)

I'm doing your homework for you Widge. I got a bottle of Redbreast 12.

The part that sort of tastes like Jameson (the bletch part) is less, and goes away fast. Has a thicker oily mouth feel. The nose is nice. Kind of a honey sweet.

I still prefer scotch. But this is sip worthy.

Thanks. I can't even find a bottle of Redbreast 12 but your description makes me more or less okay with that. I'm sure I'm buy a bottle one day, but it's not a priority.

Yeah, I have a feelling Irish is just never going to be my thing. I too like a full flavor whiskey with a long finish. And I like that thick mouth feel. If I want something lighter I'd rather a rye or a high rye bourbon.

I'm not sure if it's fortunate or just unfortunate for my checkbook, but I've really settled into the Islay scotches and I'm not sure I'll be able to go back to other stuff. But, I tend to go through streaks of drinking different whiskeys. I've gone through rye, bourbon, and scotch phases at different times.

Currently I'm obsessed with Ardbeg An Oa. The first time I had it I thought it was okay, but for some reason the last few times I had it I find it to be amazing and my favorite Ardbeg.
The An Oa is very nice

Probably my favorite peated is Lagavulin Distillers Edition

The An Oa is very nice

I'm just getting into the peated stuff. The smell turned me off for a long time, but when I finally gave it a good shot, I love it.

I've gone through all the common Ardbegs (Wee Beastie, Ten Year, An Oa, and Uigedail), Laphroaig 10, and Port Charlotte Heavily Peated. I need to give the Port Charlotte another taste or two, but so far I prefer the Ardbegs over the rest. But, Lagavulin is certainly on my list of stuff to try.

If you want to try a peated Irish whiskey, Connemara is really good. It still has the lightness of an Irish whiskey with a peat that won't punch you in the face while still being somewhat sweet.

I absolutely love Redbreast 12 as well as the cask strength.

I like Laphroaig 10 and I'm going to try Ardbeg 10 soon and go from there.

Thanks. I can't even find a bottle of Redbreast 12 but your description makes me more or less okay with that. I'm sure I'm buy a bottle one day, but it's not a priority.
I'll say, the second and third drams were a lot easier..haha.

Our Total wine had a special display for the more popular Irish Whiskey's... or should I say, the more popular good ones.. had Green Spot and Red Breast 12 on the top two shelves. Flipped a coin in my head and with with the little bird.

Come to Ft. Lauderdale if you want a taste of the RB12. Of course, cheaper to do that another way. ;)

The An Oa is very nice

I liked Uigeadail, so An Oa was next on my list... I darn near got those last night too, instead of the Glen Fohdry, but I felt I should spend less..haha.

I feel that way about most Irish whiskey....much prefer scotch. I like a full flavor whiskey that you can almost chew. You can keep those light chardonnay whiskeys
If you're gonna go with RB, go for the RB12 CS. I like them all, but the CS is a cut above.

Still talking myself into buying the RB27.

I liked Uigeadail, so An Oa was next on my list... I darn near got those last night too, instead of the Glen Fohdry, but I felt I should spend less..haha.

An Oa is basically Uigeadail at a lower proof. That'a bit of an over simplification since I think Uigeadail is more complex, but that's kind of the basic difference. Both have the peat and smoke flavor but with the sweet sherry cask finish that Wee Beastie and the Ten Year don't have. Sometimes I like a break from the 108 Proof and I really like the break from the price of Uigeadail.

I was at a bar last night that had a lot of top shelf liquor. It was half off happy hour and I started with the Dalmore 15. Was so easy to drink. So wonderful.

Then, I was walking back for my 3rd pour and out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a bottle of eagle rare. I was like... get me that one. The girl couldn't find it, I was like... the very top shelf. Ha.

It may have been the 2 dalmores talking, but I get why people like Eagle Rare. So wonderfully sweet and interesting.

I was at a bar last night that had a lot of top shelf liquor. It was half off happy hour and I started with the Dalmore 15. Was so easy to drink. So wonderful.

Then, I was walking back for my 3rd pour and out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a bottle of eagle rare. I was like... get me that one. The girl couldn't find it, I was like... the very top shelf. Ha.

It may have been the 2 dalmores talking, but I get why people like Eagle Rare. So wonderfully sweet and interesting.
Are there different versions of Eagle Rare or just the one?

I'm thinking about picking up something new, but some of the ones like the Eagle Rare are hard to find here.

I'm thinking about picking up something new, but some of the ones like the Eagle Rare are hard to find here.
I had my first ever last night. Not the right guy to ask. Lol. I think just the one, but novice....

BTW, my wife is a bad influence. She encouraged me to buy more. I got Ardbeg An Oa.

Just the one. If you can’t find it I’ll send you one. It’s great. One of the few bourbons that is still better than advertised even as it rode the hype wave.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom