Whiskey Thread (1 Viewer)

Any fans of Rabbit Hole? Wife took me to Louisville for my 40th last year and we stopped by their distillery. Been on a big kick since. Everything they make is incredible. The Cavehill is dangerously good and caramel and oaky.

Just opened this one and it’s unreal. Still have yet to have a bad offering from them.

Attachments

• F1ED06E1-2CD1-421D-8E7C-0DC935AB2836.jpeg
    F1ED06E1-2CD1-421D-8E7C-0DC935AB2836.jpeg
    963.5 KB · Views: 5
I had my first ever last night. Not the right guy to ask. Lol. I think just the one, but novice....

BTW, my wife is a bad influence. She encouraged me to buy more. I got Ardbeg An Oa.
Yeah, I just hate Virginia because of their stupid alcohol laws. I can't order and have it shipped to me. It's illegal here. It's essentially a state monopoly. ABC Liquor stores (their inventory is hit/miss on some of the good stuff) and nothing else. Maybe at a bar, but I don't think bars here sell bottles.

Just tried Legent for the first time. Good call for those in here that recommended it.

It's like Beam in a tuxedo. The sherry and red wine influence really adds complexity while it still maintains a nice pepperyness (is that even a word?)

I actually have a bottle of Bookers signed by Fred Noe. He was at the Calandros in Baton Rouge at the corner of Siegen and Perkins....real nice guy
I’m having a bottle delivered later. Can’t wait to try it.

BTW….Happy International Whiskey Day all you wonderful whodats!

Last edited:
Are there different versions of Eagle Rare or just the one?

I'm thinking about picking up something new, but some of the ones like the Eagle Rare are hard to find here.
Eagle Rare 10 year is the standard offering, made from Buffalo Trace's mash bill #1. This is the low rye mash bill they use for Old Charter, EH Taylor, Stagg, Jr, George T Stagg, Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, etc. They also have a 17 year bottle, which is part of the BTAC collection and then the Double Eagle Rare, which is 20 years old and sold in a handmade decanter with a glass eagle inside the bottle as well as a glass eagle topper. The whole thing is packaged in a salver box with sliding doors that reveal the bottle and stopper.

The retail price for Eagle Rare 10 year is $35. I would never pay more than $50 at a small shop. The 17 year retails for $100. Good lucking finding it for less than $1,000, usually closer to $2k. The Double Eagle retails for $2,000. I've seen it sold at auctions for $25,000.

Eagle Rare 10 year is the standard offering, made from Buffalo Trace's mash bill #1. This is the low rye mash bill they use for Old Charter, EH Taylor, Stagg, Jr, George T Stagg, Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, etc. They also have a 17 year bottle, which is part of the BTAC collection and then the Double Eagle Rare, which is 20 years old and sold in a handmade decanter with a glass eagle inside the bottle as well as a glass eagle topper. The whole thing is packaged in a salver box with sliding doors that reveal the bottle and stopper.

The retail price for Eagle Rare 10 year is $35. I would never pay more than $50 at a small shop. The 17 year retails for $100. Good lucking finding it for less than $1,000, usually closer to $2k. The Double Eagle retails for $2,000. I've seen it sold at auctions for $25,000.
Holy sheet! Lol. I'll just settle for the 10 year. 😂

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
Just opened a 30 year old bottle of scotch. Cork broke on me tho

20220330_194319.jpg
20220330_194517.jpg

So it's a sherry cask aged scotch.

Nose: sweet and strong! Vanilla, molasses, honey, and pecans. Delicious!

Taste: pretty much follows the nose although more mild than I expected from the smell. It's smooth with a very pleasant warming in the chest. Honey, molasses, vanilla, oak, and non-specific nuttiness

Is it good? Yes...very. Although truthfully there are other scotches I prefer in the $80-$150

Had to get out of the house a couple hours yesterday and found myself in Spec’s and then Total Wine… TW finally had Redbreast CS on the shelf and so I came home with that and a Glenfiddich 12…well, and a couple of cigars.

I tried the RB and it had great mouth feel, unfortunately that was all I could tell.. the oak pollen here is extreme and my allergies have had me knocked down for a week.. I’ll hold off trying anymore until things clear up and I can fully appreciate the opportunity.

Ugh.

We're on our way back from KY and I have to share some luck. The last couple days I found a few bottles of KC Double Barreled Rye, which was a one time only bottling. It's a real bourbon drinkers rye and drinks way better than the $50 price tag. I stumbled onto it a few months ago and have been looking for more. I also found some 375ml bottles of High West Rendezvous Rye bottled in 2012. The current product has been distilled by HW in Utah since 2018. Anything before that are the MGP barrels that put them on the map. This batch is a blend of a 6-year-old (made up of 95% rye and 5% barley malt) and a 16-year-old (80% rye, 10% corn, 10% barley malt) ryes that's oily and mellow.
Everyone is caught up looking for Blanton's and EH Taylor, they're missing on some real gems.

Tye real luck came on the first day. We drove straight to the Heaven Hill distillery after seeing their premium release for this past Tuesday.

Feast your eyes...

Attachments

• PXL_20220419_164256025.jpg
    PXL_20220419_164256025.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 12
An unusual weather pattern has caused excessive evaporation in my collection and so I’m making a shopping list… wanting to try some new things..

Have any feedback for these?

Woodford Reserve DO
Abelour Ananadh
Maybe Dalmore 15 instead of Abelour, would love to try the Cigar version but ain’t happening this spree

Stds needing refresh
Glenfiddich 12 (baseline)
Angel Envy

An unusual weather pattern has caused excessive evaporation in my collection and so I’m making a shopping list… wanting to try some new things..

Woodford Reserve DO
Abelour Ananadh
Maybe Dalmore 15 instead of Abelour, would love to try the Cigar version but ain’t happening this spree

Stds needing refresh
Angel Envy
The Woodford is very good, if you like above average oakiness. I think their whole range is solid.
Angels Envy is enjoyably drinkable.

Woodford Reserve DO
Abelour Ananadh

Stds needing refresh
Angel Envy

Well, the shopping spree went awry... I was caught at a weak moment and needed a box to bring everything home.

The Woodford Reserve DO has a thumb's up vote from both the wife and I. Definitely a taste of oakiness, which is not a bad thing at times. Should go well with the coconut creme pie that's been promised..

New ones remaining are: Elijah Craig, Abelour Ananadh... and they were out of Dalmore 15 and thus I now have Dalmore Cigar Malt..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom