Whiskey Thread (6 Viewers)

This may have been mentioned in the pages before, but Costco has had some good deals lately.
Four Roses Single Barrel for $41 is pretty good in my area. Some of the other liquor stores have been out of stock of a lot of stuff lately, but Costco has a lot.

I tried Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye the other day in Vegas, and it was really really good. I'd like to find a bottle.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
I tried Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye the other day in Vegas, and it was really really good. I'd like to find a bottle.
You can find KC CS Rye barrel picks everywhere. They're almost always pretty damn good.

This may have been mentioned in the pages before, but Costco has had some good deals lately.
Four Roses Single Barrel for $41 is pretty good in my area. Some of the other liquor stores have been out of stock of a lot of stuff lately, but Costco has a lot.
Four Roses SB is a staple here....like ketchup or Steen's syrup, somebody is in trouble if we ever run out..

• 1Like
Up in Virginia for work, crazy liquor laws here. liquor stores are run by the state, they announce on facebook when they will allow certain stores to sell allocated bottles, if your not at the store within 30 minutes all the good stuff is sold, your allowed to get one bottle of whatever is allocated, people sprinting through parking lots, parking right in front of the store and running in, it's crazy. i have been lucky and i've gotten 5 bottles of blantons, bookers, EC barrel proof, and a couple of eagle rare's. this is some of what i've gotten so far, some are not allocated and just regular bottles i've picked up at one of the 100 military bases here.
tempImagevVgwNc.jpg

Up in Virginia for work, crazy liquor laws here. liquor stores are run by the state, they announce on facebook when they will allow certain stores to sell allocated bottles, if your not at the store within 30 minutes all the good stuff is sold, your allowed to get one bottle of whatever is allocated, people sprinting through parking lots, parking right in front of the store and running in, it's crazy. i have been lucky and i've gotten 5 bottles of blantons, bookers, EC barrel proof, and a couple of eagle rare's. this is some of what i've gotten so far, some are not allocated and just regular bottles i've picked up at one of the 100 military bases here.
tempImagevVgwNc.jpg
Yeah, I hate Virginia's liquor laws. They're awful. I'd like to have some shipped to me...but no, it's apparently illegal if it doesn't come from the state store.

Like where?? I'd love to have one but have never seen one.
TW Metairie has the KC Rye SiB Barrel Select at 115 proof, which is what I was referring to. I just realized you may have been talking about the KC Cask Strength Rye.

On a side note, what are the good whiskey bars in NOLA? I'm going to be around next week doing the touristy stuff as a gift to our daughter who just graduated.

TW Metairie has the KC Rye SiB Barrel Select at 115 proof, which is what I was referring to. I just realized you may have been talking about the KC Cask Strength Rye.

On a side note, what are the good whiskey bars in NOLA? I'm going to be around next week doing the touristy stuff as a gift to our daughter who just graduated.
I think the Rusty Nail, Barrel Proof and the Bourbon Orleans Bar are the best bets for a whiskey bars. Oddly enough, Frey Smoked Meat Company also has a decent selection.

I was talking about the cask strength, but I haven't seen either of those at TW in Metairie. I'd take either. I really like high proof ryes.

I read about these a few days ago so I went looking for them. I paid well above MSRP because I'm stupid and so is everybody else. They're new so people want them.

They had the bottled in bond on the shelf, and the triple mash was behind the counter.

I tried them neat, and then with a touch of water

Neat: Triple Mash tastes like a light wood
Bottled in Bond tastes like wood

Water: They taste like wood.

They're worth a try if you're a Dagnels fan but I'd save my money and buy Wild Turkey 101

Attachments

• PXL_20220511_215645375.jpg
    PXL_20220511_215645375.jpg
    849.7 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220511_215723765.jpg
    PXL_20220511_215723765.jpg
    852.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 1Like
I think the Rusty Nail, Barrel Proof and the Bourbon Orleans Bar are the best bets for a whiskey bars. Oddly enough, Frey Smoked Meat Company also has a decent selection.

I was talking about the cask strength, but I haven't seen either of those at TW in Metairie. I'd take either. I really like high proof ryes.
Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye is something you want to watch for then. It's starting to get noticed, so you might have a bit of a challenge finding it. It's often forgotten about, but I see a case sitting around every so often. It's in a dark, green box. The bottle is beautiful cut glass with a screw top. It's a fantastic rye to sip and ruminate.

Thanks for the suggestions...

A while back I tried the Talisker Storm. Thought it was decent. I also picked up the Laphroig Select. Also thought it was solid, peaty. Nothing too crazy. I thought it was quite approachable.

I tried a reasonably cheap bottle of bourbon called Lazy River a few weeks ago that was pretty nice. I believe I recall that vanilla and it being very drinkable. Not bad for like $20-30. I wanted to get another and it was gone.

I also got a bottle of Backbeat Bourbon from Seattle. Drinking it now. Another reasonably priced, somewhat easy sipper. It's only a 6 month age. The nose is really light. I don't get much out of it. I get some of the honey. Probably should have stayed in the barrel longer. Definitely liked the Lazy River better.

I also got a second bottle of Buffalo Trace. Why not? If it's available, I get it.

I also got another bottle of the Isla Gold Orla.. cheap, decent Isla. why not?

• 1Like
A while back I tried the Talisker Storm. Thought it was decent. I also picked up the Laphroig Select. Also thought it was solid, peaty. Nothing too crazy. I thought it was quite approachable.

I tried a reasonably cheap bottle of bourbon called Lazy River a few weeks ago that was pretty nice. I believe I recall that vanilla and it being very drinkable. Not bad for like $20-30. I wanted to get another and it was gone.

I also got a bottle of Backbeat Bourbon from Seattle. Drinking it now. Another reasonably priced, somewhat easy sipper. It's only a 6 month age. The nose is really light. I don't get much out of it. I get some of the honey. Probably should have stayed in the barrel longer. Definitely liked the Lazy River better.

I also got a second bottle of Buffalo Trace. Why not? If it's available, I get it.

I also got another bottle of the Isla Gold Orla.. cheap, decent Isla. why not?

I buy a handle of BT every time I see it. As long as I keep a supply of that around, my wife stays away from the good stuff.

Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye is something you want to watch for then. It's starting to get noticed, so you might have a bit of a challenge finding it. It's often forgotten about, but I see a case sitting around every so often. It's in a dark, green box. The bottle is beautiful cut glass with a screw top. It's a fantastic rye to sip and ruminate.

Thanks for the suggestions...
It's on my list, but I've never seen it here.

I did pick up a bottle of Tincup 10 Year on a tip today, looking forward to cracking it soon. It's only 86 proof, but it's supposed to be a sleeper hit.

I buy a handle of BT every time I see it. As long as I keep a supply of that around, my wife stays away from the good stuff.
I always keep BT for guests, but honestly, I've never liked it except a store pick bottle I had once. I do like any Old Forrester or Knob Creek.

I started drinking Redemption Rye and really like it too. I want to try River Basin Rye from New Orleans, but haven't grabbed one yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom