Whiskey Thread (1 Viewer)

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
I just want to try it once.

It's funny this thread got bumped because I was craving Bourbon this week, but haven't been home much in order to sit down with a glass. I was on a beer kick for a while, but winter beers are not my favorite. I think I might run out for lunch and see if Rouses still has a bottle of Eagle Rare... but I can't remember which store I saw it at.
I recall when Eagle Rare was $19 for a bottle. It was easily the best bourbon for the buck then. Good pour still, but funny how it's increased in price despite being the same product.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
agreed. had the 21 and 23 - and while really good ( almost evaporates in mouth ) the 15 has, for me, a good honey note.

so funny....i have a client that was in my office just yesterday.

Just returned from Vegas as his good friend owns a distribution company, paid $50k to be at this Cigar/Whiskey convention. ( he went to help set up/take down - whole trip paid for ) HE said he spent 4 days sipping some of the best whiskey, smoking some of the best cigars ( Came in 2nd in the rolling contest lol )

so he said i needed to get a bottle of......Whistle Pig Samauri.

i hadnt even looked it up til i read your post.

DAYUUM...is it worth it?
I just built a private club here that we get cost plus 10% for original members which kept it from being full retail, but it was asinine. I figured 150. It was 3+ times that, but it is good. Worth it - no. Nothing is, but it's as good as the Stagg I have or the Pappys. It's different, but quite good. For my money Col Taylor is fine.

OP
OP
Dago

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
I recall when Eagle Rare was $19 for a bottle. It was easily the best bourbon for the buck then. Good pour still, but funny how it's increased in price despite being the same product.
I still see it for $20 occasionally. Same thing happened with Four Roses Small Batch. Used to be in the low $20s and now its at $30

MLU

Reaction score
Found a bottle of Whistlepig Boss Hawg at a new liquor store during their grand opening. I laughed when the guy behind the counter told me he wanted $700 for it. He was charging $300 for a bottle a Woodford Reserve Master's Collection. Dude is trying to make all his money back on opening day I guess?

I'll be sipping Johnny Walker Double Black after the victory tonight...

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
Its almost like when demand goes up for something, the price goes up.

MLU

Reaction score
I really look forward to Buffalo Trace getting caught back up with production of Blanton's so I don't have to overpay anymore. That being said, it's still as good as my last pour. I'm just less likely to share it now. Lol

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
I tried Basil Hayden recently and its pretty good. I think it was mentioned on one of the other Whiskey threads in the past.

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I tried Basil Hayden recently and its pretty good. I think it was mentioned on one of the other Whiskey threads in the past.
It has been my go to for 3 years now. In the last 6 mo or so, ive weened off Basil on to Angels Envy and an Elijah Craig Small Batch for weekend sipping. I was hooked on how smooth and palatable Basil is. Its not overbearing- quite subtle overall.

But dang if i dont mention that 3 years ago, a bottle of Basil was $27.99-$31.99. Now, i cant find under $40.

Shoot, im staring at a 1/3 bottle in my office as i type this ;) ( not that i drink on the job or anything- for special post work occassions mmmkaay )

OP
OP
Dago

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
It has been my go to for 3 years now. In the last 6 mo or so, ive weened off Basil on to Angels Envy and an Elijah Craig Small Batch for weekend sipping. I was hooked on how smooth and palatable Basil is. Its not overbearing- quite subtle overall.

But dang if i dont mention that 3 years ago, a bottle of Basil was $27.99-$31.99. Now, i cant find under $40.

Shoot, im staring at a 1/3 bottle in my office as i type this ;) ( not that i drink on the job or anything- for special post work occassions mmmkaay )
you try the Angels Envy Rye finished in rum casks? Heaven in a bottle

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like the Pappy stuff has finally arrived in Florida. I get a 10 and a 15 this year. Hoped for a 23, but oh well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom