Whiskey Thread (4 Viewers)

There are a few new "American Scotches" like Stranahans out there but few are very good. Hillrock in upstate NY makes a distinctive and very flavorful single-malt.

well when 5 years is their oldest age statement, that is hardly surprising

I really never got into scotch. I'd like to but it's a bit too expensive. Still, I should have one or two in the cabinets. I prefer less smoke than more. I drink bourbon mostly. I used to chase all the heavy hitters but it's gotten too competitive and expensive so I don't even try anymore. I've settled in lately on a few go to bottles at reasonable prices. Elijah Craig Small Batch, Henry Mckenna 10 year. Willett Pot Still. Eagle Rare 10 year. Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. And for my sleeper I like Old Grand Dad BIB.

My utility bourbon is Evan Williams BIB, in the white labeling. Great value at $25/handle and not bad at all, even neat.

and Orange Fanta right?

Ltnj.gif

Love that someone started this thread. My brother and law and I have gone in deep into whisky with our wives' cousin who has been into scotch whiskey for years and is actually taking a tour to Islay this summer. I was always a bourbon fan, mostly cocktails. Growing up in Louisiana it's easy to just grab whatever is sweet, then i needed to lose weight and figured I could just drink on ice, but my wife's cousin convinced us to try neat and dive head first.

To make a long story short, i have maybe a dozen bottles of bourbon I force on visitors to help me get rid of because when I get home from work and need a drink i grab scotch to unwind now. It just goes to say that you may not know what you like until you try it all.

Favorite right now is Ardbeg Corryvreckan:

I really love anything Islay. Tops would probably be Port Charlotte, Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Ardbeg Corryvreckan of course. Outside of Islay I'm a big fan of Jura for a sweet whisky and Talisker storm and Highland park 12 give me the hint of peat when I just want a relaxing whiskey. We do big whiskey tastings twice a year where we usually taste a couple dozen whiskies at home just to make sure our preferences are up to date. It also helps living in a metropolitan city, having access to bars with really good selections is a game changer.

I'm happy with glenlevit or glenfiddich 12 or (15 ifI'm feeling fancy). A macallan is nice now and again, but Ive tried some of the others a lot of aficionados tend to like such as Lophraig and they are too much for me.

Not really a fan of the blends, but Singapore Airlines pours Johnny walker blue label in first/suites so I drink that and the champagne like its going out of style. I can get drunk and pass out and drunk again 3 times before I hit Bangkok every year lol

There's some pretty good blenders out there, but yeah if it's crap whiskey it's probably a blend. I love a lot of what compass box is doing and there's some higher end stuff out of the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society that's really fantastic.

Bulleit or Buffalo Trace for me

One of the reasons I enjoy visiting my brother in law is because he is a whiskey/bourbon/ scotch connoisseur and always has a good selection. Of which I partake most gratefully.

L’chaim!
Cheers!
Salud!

The best that I've ever had was 2007 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon and I've been chasing the dragon ever since. So many flavors in one drink highlighted by a banana note.

I keep trying sub $75 bourbons which end up being mixed with coke zero. Most of them aren't much different than gargling some old school listerine and licking a leather belt. It's hard to be brand loyal with bourbon because the flavor changes every year (except for woodford reserve).

Great thread.
After being a gin drinker forever I moved to scotch about 4 years ago. Highland Park and Oban were my favorites. I tried Laphroig just for the curiosity factor and it tasted like bandaids to me. Still have a pretty full bottle left
Moved to bourbon and rye and fell in love.
Love all the Buffalo Trace, Blantons and Col Taylor lines. I hunted Weller for a while till I got them all and in the end they were a little meh for me.
I’ll take a makers cask strength old fashioned any day now but my GF got me a Game Of Thrones bottle of scotch and I’m starting to feel the pull of114459f the peat once again.
Good times. !

The best that I've ever had was 2007 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon and I've been chasing the dragon ever since. So many flavors in one drink highlighted by a banana note.

I keep trying sub $75 bourbons which end up being mixed with coke zero. Most of them aren't much different than gargling some old school listerine and licking a leather belt. It's hard to be brand loyal with bourbon because the flavor changes every year (except for woodford reserve).

Ever try Knob Creek Cask Strength? Really good neat or with a piece of ice. It can hold up to the ice since it is 120 proof.
I also like to get it in an old fashioned since the whiskey doesnt get washed out

i will be headed here in Dec. anyone attend something like this before?

the list of samples..
1000 Stories
A.D. Laws
A. Smith Bowman
Ardbeg
Arran Scotch Malt
Whisky

10 yr.

14 yr.
18 yr.
Baker’s
Balcones Distilling
The Balvenie
Basil Hayden’s
The Benriach
Blackened American
Whiskey
Blanton’s
Blood Oath
Booker’s Bourbon
Bowmore
Brenne
Bruichladdich
Buffalo Trace
Bushmills
Compass Box
Connemara
David Nicholson
Reserve
Devil’s River Whiskey

Small Batch Bourbon

Barrel Strength Bourbon
Rye
Dewar’s
Dingle
Dry Town Gin
Elijah Craig

Small Batch

Barrel Proof
18 yr. Single Barrel
23 yr. Single Barrel
Few Spirits
Four Roses

Bourbon
Small Batch
Single Barrel
Small Batch Select
2019 Limited Edition
Small Batch Bourbon
(VIP hour only)
Gentleman Jack
Glen Grant

12 yr.
15 yr.
18 yr. (VIP hour only)
The Glendronach
Glenfiddich

Glenglassaugh
Glengoyne

10 yr.
12 yr.
15 yr.
18 yr.
21 yr.
Glenmorangie
Gooderham & Worts
Hakushu
Hatozaki
Heaven Hill
Heaven’s Door

Tennessee Straight
Bourbon

Double Barrel
Straight Rye
Henry McKenna
Single Barrel
Hibiki
High West

American Prairie Bourbon
Double Rye!
Rendezvous Rye
Campfire
Bourye (VIP hour only)
Yippee Ki Yay (VIP hour only)
A Midwinter Night’s Dram
(VIP hour only)
Hillrock Estate Distillery
Hotaling & Co.
J.P. Wiser’s
Jack Daniel’s
Jim Beam
John & Allisa’s
Jura
Kavalan
Kilbeggan
Knappogue Castle Single
Malt Irish

12 yr.

14 yr.
16 yr.
Knob Creek
Laphroaig
Larceny Bourbon
Little Book
Longbranch
Lot 40
Maker’s Mark
Michter’s

US*1:
Bourbon
Rye
Sour Mash
American Whiskey
10 yr. Bourbon (VIP hour only)
10 yr. Rye (VIP hour only)
Minor Case Straight
Rye
Mossburn
Nikka
Nooku Bourbon Cream

Original

Peppermint Cream
Old Elk Blended
Straight Bourbon

Old Ezra 7 yr.
Old Fitzgerald
Old Forester
Old Pulteney
Parker’s Heritage
Collection
Pike Creek
Pikesville Rye
The Real McCoy
Aged Rum

3 yr.

5 yr.
12 yr.
Rebel Yell 10 yr.
Single Barrel
Russell’s Reserve

6 yr. Rye
10 yr. Bourbon
Sagamore Spirit
Straight Rye:

Signature 83 Proof
Cask Strength
Double Oak
The Sexton
Slane
Speyburn
Stranahan’s
Tamdhu

3 yr.

12 yr.
15 yr.
Bash Strength
Tincup
Toki
Tomatin
Tyrconnell
Virginia-Highland Whisky
Prelude: Courage
& Conviction
Westland Distillery
Wheatley Vodka
WhistlePig
Widow Jane
Wild Turkey

Rare Breed
Kentucky Spirit
Bourbon (81)
Rye
American Honey
Master’s Keep Cornerstone
Rye (VIP hour only)
Woodford Reserve
Yamazaki
Yellowstone

Select

Limited Edition

* This list is subject to change.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom