Whiskey Thread (3 Viewers)

I've been fortunate enough to find some good bourbons recently. I haven't cracked them all open yet, but I'm looking forward to all of them. Last night I was drinking the Smokewagon Straight Bourbon that really opens up with a small ice cube.

Smokewagon Straight Bourbon
Oregon Spirit Wheat (So easy to drink)
Early Times BIB (Top notch $20 bourbon)
Uncle Nearest 1884 (Still looking for 1820)
Basil Hayden's 10 year
1792 Full Proof (My favorite expression of 1792)
Smooth Ambler Old Scout
Smooth Ambler Old Scout SB Rye
Ironroot Harbinger
Maker's Mark 101 LR
Dickel Tabasco

I bought the Dickel on a whim. I've seen it in the wild only a couple time for $25, but Specs was selling it for $6, so I couldn't resist. It hasn't been opened yet. I've been seeing EH Taylor Rye pop up here and there, but have yet to snag one and I'm afraid that I missed out on the High West Midsummer Night's Dram. After a couple bottles of Woodford Reserve's Master's Collection last year, I'm looking forward to the recently released Very Fine Rare Bourbon. Hopefully I luck out. I also passed up on a bottle of Hakushu 12 last week for $120. I don't think I've ever had a Japanese whisky worth that price.

Bought a bottle of 20 year old single malt speyside scotch from Costco. Nice ABV at 46% and it costs just under $60 which is dirt cheap for that age

Got a really nice flavor up front with vanilla, orange, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange. Unfortunately it has a bit of a medicinal flavor that just lingers and completely ruins it

This is a definite never again. Don't get fooled by the age statement....there is far better in this range. In fact, there is better that costs less

Longmorn 16 YO.
I like Speyside and this is an old favorite of mine.
Got another bottle of it for Christmas.

132165-big.jpg
Never seen that one

Unfortunately it has a bit of a medicinal flavor that just lingers and completely ruins it
What ever ya do, avoid LA 1 whiskey. Only booze I've straight up thrown out. Seriously, even mixing it it was undrinkable.

download.jpeg

What ever ya do, avoid LA 1 whiskey. Only booze I've straight up thrown out. Seriously, even mixing it it was undrinkable.

download.jpeg
I have heard the same although I have never had it

If you want a Louisiana whiskey, try Sugarfield. Its $35-$40 a bottle and I think they are on their 4th bottling/batch

Thats a bourbon that definitely punches above its price. I haven't had the 4th release, but the 2nd and 3rd (especially the third) were great

My dad gave me this for Christmas. It’s so tasty. I’ve been pretty loyal Woodford drinker for a while now but never had the double-oaked. It’s sweeter but not in a cheap sugary way. It’s really good.

1609300394238.jpeg

Do you drink it neat or what's your preference?

just got a bottle of Laphroaig cask strength. holy smoky. 120 proof I think. might be my 2nd favorite Islay behind lagavulin 16. also have lagavulin 8 and 9 year old.

My dad gave me this for Christmas. It’s so tasty. I’ve been pretty loyal Woodford drinker for a while now but never had the double-oaked. It’s sweeter but not in a cheap sugary way. It’s really good.

1609300394238.jpeg
I got the half bottle at total wine to try, it's very good, will be getting this again.

I just finished off a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel. It's like regular Jameson turned up to 11. I must have another bottle.

I also bought Redbreast 12 (Irish whiskey). I am liking that one, too.

I got a bottle of Michter's Rye a week ago because I've never had rye and some people who know better said it's a good place to start. So far it's ok. I wanted to get a bottle of Angel's Envy rye, but at $60.00 a bottle, I thought I'd wait.

Half Shell Oyster House is now my favorite restaurant because they have my top 3 favorites: Eagle Rare, Angels Envy, and Basil Hayden. AE is really my fav fav and nobody EVER has that.

Last edited:
Do you drink it neat or what's your preference?

That one is so tasty, neat works just fine. I prefer an iceball or large cube. If not available, "light rocks" is good. I tend to snack when I'm sipping bourbon, and neat typically gives me heartburn.

That one is so tasty, neat works just fine. I prefer an iceball or large cube. If not available, "light rocks" is good. I tend to snack when I'm sipping bourbon, and neat typically gives me heartburn.

Yeah, I think I'd have to do the same. My stomach ain't what it used to be, lol. Probably will just sip some after dinner or something.

For those that don't know it, we have a really nice distillery in Gonzales called Sugarfield. In the drinking thread, I have mentioned how much I have enjoyed their bourbon.

Tonight I have a new offering which is a single barrel bourbon aged for 7 years. Now i like my whiskey neat but this stuff clocks in at 121 proof! I took my first sip neat and felt like it was peeling the skin from my throat. There just isn't a choice...there was too much heat to taste the bourbon. So I added a little ice cold water and it opened up nicely into a rich, full flavored whiskey with a nice bit of spice. Really nice flavors of vanilla, caramel, orange zest, and hazelnut

Highly recommend this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom