Whiskey Thread (4 Viewers)

Well Total Wine has certainly restocked from last week and the guy said there was another truck coming that got stuck in the snow. They had a lot more good stuff than last time. I still regret everytime I leave without a bottle of Old Forester 1920. One day I just need to buy a damn bottle, but they always have so many that I end up opting for a rarer bottle. Today they had some Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond, and damn I just realized I forgot to walk out with one. I got distracted by other stuff. They also had some Wilderness Trail Bourbon, some Wild Turkey Rare Breed and some Four Roses Single Barrel. They had some Jack Single Barrel, too that a lot of people are raving about. I still can't find Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof.

Today I opted for one they only had one bottle left of. It's the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. I've heard good things but haven't tried it yet. I'll report back when I do.

Well Total Wine has certainly restocked from last week and the guy said there was another truck coming that got stuck in the snow. They had a lot more good stuff than last time. I still regret everytime I leave without a bottle of Old Forester 1920. One day I just need to buy a damn bottle, but they always have so many that I end up opting for a rarer bottle. Today they had some Evan Williams Bottled-In-Bond, and damn I just realized I forgot to walk out with one. I got distracted by other stuff. They also had some Wilderness Trail Bourbon, some Wild Turkey Rare Breed and some Four Roses Single Barrel. They had some Jack Single Barrel, too that a lot of people are raving about. I still can't find Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof.

Today I opted for one they only had one bottle left of. It's the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. I've heard good things but haven't tried it yet. I'll report back when I do.
I am primarily a rum drinker first and bourbon second, but that Woodford double oak is quite tasty.

If you like interesting whiskey, Balcone Lineage is a good choice. It's a tasty single malt bottled at 94 proof. I see it on the shelves here all the time. I feel it's lost in the dozen other Balcone flavors sitting on the shelf.

Strange that you mention Balcones Lineage. I was just looking at some reviews for it and it looks really interesting. Really, all of the Balcones products look interesting and different, but Lineage looks like something I would really like. I've tried their Baby Blue which I like a lot. It's not complicated (and my palate isn't very complicated anyway) but it's a nice clear flavor without much bite for 92 Proof.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
Was moseying around Total Wine and saw this. They have a ton of minis and luckily had this so I didn't have to invest the whole 20 bucks. I've been on a flavor kick lately and also picked up a Seagram's watermelon flavored vodka. I've put myself on a moratorium of whiskey until I can get Angel's Envy which Total Wine insists on staying bereft of.

Both Dorignac's and Acquistipace wine and liquor (or however you spell it) in Mandeville usually have Angel's Envy.

There's a local distillery up here in Culpepper called Belmont Farm. I picked up a bottle of their Apple Whiskey. Guess I should've read the bottle a little better. I was expecting a whiskey with a dash of apple, but No. Straight up apple juice with a dash of whiskey.

Wasn't terrible, but it caught me by surprise.

There's a local distillery up here in Culpepper called Belmont Farm. I picked up a bottle of their Apple Whiskey. Guess I should've read the bottle a little better. I was expecting a whiskey with a dash of apple, but No. Straight up apple juice with a dash of whiskey.

Wasn't terrible, but it caught me by surprise.

Isn't Belmont Farms the place that Tim Smith makes his legal Moonshine on the Moonshiners show on the Discovery Channel?

i used to drink four roses single and their yearly small batches. then they became very popular, single went from its price around $29-30 to generally over $40, and the small batches are now almost ridiculous pvw pricing.

i used to drink four roses single and their yearly small batches. then they became very popular, single went from its price around $29-30 to generally over $40, and the small batches are now almost ridiculous pvw pricing.

The single barrel was $50 last year, this year they have it listed for $40, so I was very tempted to snag one. I still have 2 pours left in my bottle from last year I was saving for a special occasion. That occasion might be finding a new bottle LOL

I am primarily a rum drinker first and bourbon second, but that Woodford double oak is quite tasty.
The Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is indeed quite tasty. It smells like freakin caramel popcorn on the nose. Surprisingly, it didnt carry to the palate, instead it tasted strong of oak and leather. The finish was very long and memorable, like toffee and vanilla. I really liked it a lot.

Isn't Belmont Farms the place that Tim Smith makes his legal Moonshine on the Moonshiners show on the Discovery Channel?

That's where I know it from. I thought it sounded familiar.

I haven't been there yet, but they do sell their booze at the ABCs.

You won't regret a bottle of the Wilderness Trail. I haven't been disappointed by any of their stuff.

So, I finally went to Total Wine on Veterans Blvd. this weekend. I was impressed and disappointed at the same time. It's a good selection and some of the prices are good, but I guess I was expecting more. I noticed that there are at least a few things that Dorignac's has that they don't have. Of course they have some stuff Dorignac's doesn't have. Prices seem to be hit and miss each having better prices on some things.

Anyway, I spent way too much money on whiskey this weekend. I decided to really try out the Balcones line. I bought Rumble, Texas 1 Single Malt Whiskey, Lineage, and their Texas Rye. The Rumble is good and very different. It's made from fermented Wildflower Honey and Figs. The taste is pretty much so light honey with home made fruit cocktail. That's not something you taste in whiskey every day but I really like it.

The Texas Single Malt is amazing. I can't describe the flavors, but at 106 proof it's surprisingly smooth and tastes amazing. It may be my favorite whiskey right now.

I noticed that there are at least a few things that Dorignac's has that they don't have. Of course they have some stuff Dorignac's doesn't have. Prices seem to be hit and miss each having better prices on some things.

So basically exactly what you were told in this thread?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom