Whiskey Thread (4 Viewers)

i'm in that number, but after 25 years trying everybody, i'm set in my ways

always liked rp cigars and still have some 90s and 92s, but anybody can make a meh cigar

most of what i smoke now are erdm oscuros, plus the dry aged dog-walkers yatwoman brings me from europe

always ready to discuss, as the art of cigarmaking fascinates me
So maybe I got a bad one?

So far I lean towards Arturo Fuente and Ashton cigars.

great cigars, both; ur on ur way

fuente makes ashton and several other lines

and yes to the "bad one". handmade anything can have errors

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
Opened up the bottle of whiskey I got with my samples from Flaviar. For this quarter, I chose and Irish whiskey called Glendalough Double Barrel

It's really good! Has a really nice malt and corn base. Creamy and smooth....really nice!

AlsoIt's a good whiskey, but I don't think it lives up to the price.

Also, not a big fan of the Rocky Patel last night. Good draw, but not much flavor at all. Who are the cigar smokers, here? Do we need to start a cigar thread? I still consider myself a novice.
Rocky Patel is a fraud. He used to come in the stores peddling crud from Oliva and other seconds he bought rebanding them in his car I bet. I think he was the first to outright lie about age and dates with his vintage stuff that was closeouts from JR or whoever had anything he could buy.

• 1Like
Rocky Patel is a fraud. He used to come in the stores peddling crud from Oliva and other seconds he bought rebanding them in his car I bet. I think he was the first to outright lie about age and dates with his vintage stuff that was closeouts from JR or whoever had anything he could buy.

Wow. I did not know that. I've had some RP's that I've enjoyed.

Opened up the bottle of whiskey I got with my samples from Flaviar. For this quarter, I chose and Irish whiskey called Glendalough Double Barrel

It's really good! Has a really nice malt and corn base. Creamy and smooth....really nice!

Is that made with a pot still? I've only ever really had Jameson as far as Irish Whiskey and I really don't like it. Just tastes too much like grain alcohol to me. But that could be because it is made with a column still. I think I need to try something from Ireland that uses a pot still like Redbreast 12.

Is that made with a pot still? I've only ever really had Jameson as far as Irish Whiskey and I really don't like it. Just tastes too much like grain alcohol to me. But that could be because it is made with a column still. I think I need to try something from Ireland that uses a pot still like Redbreast 12.

Glendalough is pot still

The Double Barrel is aged in Barrels that were used to age Wild Turkey and finished in Sherry casks

Wow. I did not know that. I've had some RP's that I've enjoyed.

I don't know what he's doing these days, but he started out as a jobber buying whatever he could get and then reselling it. No factory, no fields just inventory. CAO started the same way and so did many others. You're in the wine business I believe and there's lots of blenders in that industry and whiskey so there's no shame in it, but the 1992 Vintage stuff he peddled as some lost leaf was made by a number of makers and different in any number of ways. Boxes and labels all changed and so did the story.

I've had some decent cigars with his labels on them and I've been out of the business for a long time so no idea what he does now. That said, I'd bet fully half everything he sold back in the early days were seconds from Tony Borhani's Bahia line or stuff he couldn't pay for.

RB is a good choice. That's my favorite Irish although Yellow Spot is a close second. RB and the Spots are all a world better than Jameson.

Headed to Kentucky for a week of whiskey and horses on Sunday. Anyone been before? I'm always looking for recommendations and experiences from others. A lot of distilleries have suspended tours, but many are still giving tastings. I have a couple hikes planned, too. I think I have a couple things a day mapped out, but still plenty of time to kill and I'm open to suggestions.

Headed to Kentucky for a week of whiskey and horses on Sunday. Anyone been before? I'm always looking for recommendations and experiences from others. A lot of distilleries have suspended tours, but many are still giving tastings. I have a couple hikes planned, too. I think I have a couple things a day mapped out, but still plenty of time to kill and I'm open to suggestions.

If you don't mind, let us know how that goes. I was just thinking yesterday about making a trip to Louisville and doing some of the Bourbon Trail once the family is fully vaccinated for COVID. But, I have a 17 year-old daughter who would be going and I'm not sure there would be stuff to keep her interested.

• 1Like
Enjoy yourself. If you get a chance take a drive out to this place:

Some good tasting spirits and they are very generous on their pours. I really like their version of an agave (can't call it tequila here).

• 1Like
If you don't mind, let us know how that goes. I was just thinking yesterday about making a trip to Louisville and doing some of the Bourbon Trail once the family is fully vaccinated for COVID. But, I have a 17 year-old daughter who would be going and I'm not sure there would be stuff to keep her interested.
Sure, thing.

I have found that lots of distilleries are still closed to the public, but most have at least a tasting available. A few have tours. Many require guests to be 21 I think. Evan Williams has a good experience for people who care less about whiskey I am told.

Honestly, I'm really excited about Spring Meet in Keeneland. There are lots of museums I have found and Mammoth cave is about an hour south of Makers Mark.

Enjoy yourself. If you get a chance take a drive out to this place:

Some good tasting spirits and they are very generous on their pours. I really like their version of an agave (can't call it tequila here).
Thanks for the tip. If we end up spending more time in Lexington, I'll try to book a tour.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom