Whiskey Thread (3 Viewers)

Thanks for the tip. If we end up spending more time in Lexington, I'll try to book a tour.
Have you ever had Glendalough Double Barrel?

REALLY recommend. I am polishing off the bottle right now. I got this free but I see online that it runs $35 and IMO it is pretty damned amazing at that price.

Have you ever had Glendalough Double Barrel?

REALLY recommend. I am polishing off the bottle right now. I got this free but I see online that it runs $35 and IMO it is pretty damned amazing at that price.
Hmmm...

Glendalough Double Barrel Irish Whiskey is a single grain Irish whiskey, initially matured in American bourbon barrels before enjoying a finishing period of six months in Spanish Oloroso Sherry casks. This comes bottled at 42% ABV, brought down to this strength by Wicklow mountain water.
I'm in.

We arrived home at 0430 this AM and I just unpacked the car a few minutes ago. We had a fun and tiring week in Kentucky, visiting distilleries, hunting for bottles and catching our first race day at the horse track. as much as we ended up acratching off the list, there is still much more we wanted to do. Once I've had a chance to actually decompress, I want to share our best experiences and some tips and places to visit or avoid with the thread.

Until then, here are the bottles we returned with...

Attachments

• PXL_20210404_184647765.jpg
    PXL_20210404_184647765.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 16
AlsoIt's a good whiskey, but I don't think it lives up to the price.

Also, not a big fan of the Rocky Patel last night. Good draw, but not much flavor at all. Who are the cigar smokers, here? Do we need to start a cigar thread? I still consider myself a novice.

There is one (cigar thread), but I'm sure it's rather dusty...

page-10

We arrived home at 0430 this AM and I just unpacked the car a few minutes ago. We had a fun and tiring week in Kentucky, visiting distilleries, hunting for bottles and catching our first race day at the horse track. as much as we ended up acratching off the list, there is still much more we wanted to do. Once I've had a chance to actually decompress, I want to share our best experiences and some tips and places to visit or avoid with the thread.

Until then, here are the bottles we returned with...

Wow, that's quite a haul! Nice! Looking forward to the recap. :9:

You have any idea what your favorite find out of that bunch would be?

Wow, that's quite a haul! Nice! Looking forward to the recap. :9:

You have any idea what your favorite find out of that bunch would be?
I waited in line early Tuesday AM to buy the Old Forester 117. I also found some distillery only experimental releases from Long branch and Woodford Reserve that I'm excited to open. Getting an Old Fitzgerald 16 was nice as was finding multiple bottles of 1792 Sweet Wheat. I also got a couple bottles of 1792 Full Proof from the distillery and met Danny Kahn who was kind enough to sign both. We flipped a bottle Old Fitz 16 (my wife's) for an Angels Envy Oloroso Sherry Cask that I have only seen once and it was $350.

Almost all of it was retail. Only a couple were very low secondary prices. Lots of great stuff I'm excited to get into.

Last edited:
Not to brag, but this bottle of Pappy was found by my in-laws when they moved to their new place. It appears to have been a 1999 and since neither of them drink bourbon it remained unopened until yesterday when it became my birthday present. It was much sweeter and intense than the other pappy 10s I've had. Evaporation maybe or just the old SW juice, I don't know.
20210422_171000.jpg

Not to brag, but this bottle of Pappy was found by my in-laws when they moved to their new place. It appears to have been a 1999 and since neither of them drink bourbon it remained unopened until yesterday when it became my birthday present. It was much sweeter and intense than the other pappy 10s I've had. Evaporation maybe or just the old SW juice, I don't know.
20210422_171000.jpg
That's a nice looking bottle, and egg you got there. :hihi:

That's a nice looking bottle, and egg you got there. :hihi:

can you read the grocery liquor store price sticker on that bottle? Think about that for a second.

That bottle was on the shelf at Albertson's Liquors for $25 22 years ago. Today, even opened I can't tell you what it's worth. I'm surprised they didn't toss it.

can you read the grocery liquor store price sticker on that bottle? Think about that for a second.

That bottle was on the shelf at Albertson's Liquors for $25 22 years ago. Today, even opened I can't tell you what it's worth. I'm surprised they didn't toss it.

I'd be scared to drink anything that old, lol. Know booze is supposed to have a long shelf life, but that long?

I'd be scared to drink anything that old, lol. Know booze is supposed to have a long shelf life, but that long?
I have an unopened bottle of Macallan 8-year-old scotch that I received as a gift in 2005 when I graduated from grad school.

I joke that it's now aged 24 years. :hihi:

20210422_171000.jpg
fork. Yeah.

It doesn't get better than old Stizle Weller juice.

Whisky doesn't really go bad as long as it is not exposed to too much oxygen. So, as long as it is kept in a not mostly empty bottle it will be good indefinitely. Although the flavor might change over time depending on the exposure to air.

Now that I think of it I have a bottle of Blanton's that my wife was given as a business gift back around 2004 that I have never opened. I guess mostly because I don't think it could ever live up to the hype.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom