Whiskey Thread (2 Viewers)

I love Eagle Rare, but I'm not a huge Basil Hayden fan. Sounds like you enjoy the sweeter bourbons. You should try some Old Forester products like 1910, 1920 (not as sweet as 1910), or Rye. Those are all pretty sweet. Also, the Early Times Bottle In Bond I posted earlier is a good, sweet pour and is very affordable. It's become my go to since Eagle Rare is so hard to find. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is also pretty sweet and smells like syrup and pancakes.

The internet goes crazy over Mellow Corn, but I haven't tried it yet, eventhough I've been tempted to grab a bottle since it's so cheap.

Also, if you like red wine, give this a try. I think it's pretty good:

menage_trois_bourbon_cab_18mv_750.jpg
I like the reds. Will have to give this a shot.

I love Eagle Rare, but I'm not a huge Basil Hayden fan. Sounds like you enjoy the sweeter bourbons. You should try some Old Forester products like 1910, 1920 (not as sweet as 1910), or Rye. Those are all pretty sweet. Also, the Early Times Bottle In Bond I posted earlier is a good, sweet pour and is very affordable. It's become my go to since Eagle Rare is so hard to find. Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is also pretty sweet and smells like syrup and pancakes.

The internet goes crazy over Mellow Corn, but I haven't tried it yet, eventhough I've been tempted to grab a bottle since it's so cheap.

Ooh yuck.

A good inexpensive red is Justin. It’s great for the price!

Also @Madmarsha if you like Eagle Rare try Sazarac Rye made by the same company. It’s my go to Rye

About to get into this.

1620521646115.jpeg
That's honestly one of the best I've ever had. I love the peachy sweetness enough that I bought 3 freaking bottles when it came available. I had ordered it without knowing the cost, but even then I wasn't too mad when I realized what I'd done.

The one from this last year with sandalwood they can keep.

Picked up a bottle of Angel Envy yesterday, gonna try it tonight.

My wife loves both Basil and Angels Envy. She also realized that mixing with Sprite from fountain vs from bottle/can is a much better drink for her.

You will probably enjoy finished whiskeys. Angel's Envy Rye is a great choice if you don't mind spending $90.
I do. I look at it every time I'm in the store ... but I mind it.

So the dude at Total Wine tried to sell me Chestnut Farms. I didn't get it but they said it's their best seller (also alluded to how some of the other stuff they can't get, which I thought was interesting). So I didn't go for that at $60 though I liked the bottle. But instead I went for this instead at $40 .. because port.

I would never, but I know it smells fantastic. It's actually whiskey-infused cherry liqueur and not cherry-infused whiskey. I would be concerned that it tastes like medicine, however. Probably best suited to mix with coke, although it might make for an interesting Manhattan.
I just picked up a mini. Gonna try it this weekend I think. The Manhattan idea sounds interesting.

Yeah, I have a sweet tooth anyway and gets me over the "acquired taste" portion of the evening.

Recent opens-
1792 full proof
Some of these bottles are exceptional and some are meh. I got an exceptional this time.

Elijah Craig barrel proof-
Really solid, very good, but not spectacular.

hard pass

I do. I look at it every time I'm in the store ... but I mind it.

So the dude at Total Wine tried to sell me Chestnut Farms. I didn't get it but they said it's their best seller (also alluded to how some of the other stuff they can't get, which I thought was interesting). So I didn't go for that at $60 though I liked the bottle. But instead I went for this instead at $40 .. because port.

Have you tried this, yet?

What is your opinion?

Yeah, I have a sweet tooth anyway and gets me over the "acquired taste" portion of the evening.

If you like sweet (and I do) a Manhattan is probably very good option for you (2 parts rye or bourbon to 1 part sweet vermouth, dash of bitters, and a maraschino cherry. Buy the good dark cherries like Luxado. They are expensive but worth it).

I think Bulleit Rye is an excellent Rye for mixing. It has some nice spice that hold up against a mixer. And the price is excellent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom