Whiskey Thread (10 Viewers)

Worst part is that allergies are killing me right now and I'm tasting nothing...
Yeah, similar deal for me. Was sneezing my head off the entire weekend. Was moving boxes around and cut the grass. Double whammy for my allergies. My head is pounding today, yuck.

Yeah, similar deal for me. Was sneezing my head off the entire weekend. Was moving boxes around and cut the grass. Double whammy for my allergies. My head is pounding today, yuck.
Good news. Taste buds came back this evening just in time for a glass of Bardstown Bourbon Company Pfifer Pavit with a ribeye.

Ok, I'm going to try and maybe knock out some (extremely) amateur reviews (lol) of some of the things in my collection. Tonight, I'll start with my favorite whiskey to pair with steak: Bardstown Bourbon Company Phifer Pavitt Reserve.

From the bottle's description: "When we work together we bring out the best in each other. Our joint adventure between Bardstown Bourbon Company and Phifer Pavitt Winery starts with exceptional 10-year old Tennessee straight bourbon whiskey. We then polish it for 18 months in decadent Phifer Pavitt Cabernet Barrels from Napa Valley. Deep, indulgent notes of dark chocolate, cassis and caramel envelop this extraordinary pour."

Internet rumor has it that Phifer Pavitt Winery aged their cabernet for 3 years in the barrels that were sent to BBC. For the uninitiated, there are only a couple distilleries in TN that have been open long enough to produce 10-year old bourbon, and Jack Daniels ain't giving up any of theirs. So, what we have here is 10-year old Dickel finished in wine barrels. Normally, I am not a fan of Dickel. I just can't get past the dreaded Flintstone Vitamin taste. I want to like it, but it just doesn't work out for me. However, I am pleased to announce that despite me knowing this is Dickel and looking for that aftertaste, I don't get any of it at all. Perhaps BBC found a way to eliminate it or perhaps we owe the folks at Phifer Pavitt Winery our thanks.

Let's get into it...

Color: Not just the typical amber, but deep red hues fill the bottle and glass. You might even say there is a copper-tone there, too. It's nice to look at.

Nose: Kinda of a chocolate fruit nose to it. Not really cherries, but milk chocolatey dark fruit which is probably thanks to the wine barrels. Not really something I would just nose all day, but worth the casual hover over the rim.

Palate: Definitely get oak, but not too much. Very sweet like cream corn, but not candy-like. The mouthfeel is nice and soft, just short of oily. Caramel and vanilla are always there in bourbon, but it's very faint here. I have seen reviews mention raisins and graham cracker crust, but I can't find it.

Finish: Despite being officially "cask strength" it's a very mellow 100 proof. The finish is short, so I guess I'll just have to have another sip. This one won't hold up to a cigar, but it's fantastic with red meat. There is definitely a nice balance between bourbon and wine in this bottle.

Cost: $125; While that might be a shock to some, this is a 10 year old bourbon with the added expense of an additional 18 months of aging. This is definitely a personal choice. I don't use this as a daily sipper. Steak isn't a regular meal for me, so it makes sense for me to save this when I enjoy bovine flesh, cooked to a perfect rare.

Score: I'm not ready for this yet. We're a long way from this kind of confidence. Let's just say that I don't regret the purchase. Cost aside, this a good bottle of finished bourbon and if you can swallow the lump in your throat while you hand over he money, I do not feel that you will be disappointed.

Are there some sweeter daily sippers out there? I'm gonna head over to the local 123 and see what they have to offer. Probably will go tomorrow since they already closed rn.

I made a few purchases on an impromptu trip to KY...

Oops...

PXL_20210718_002159176.jpg
How's that JTS Brown? I never heard much about it but I see it in haul pics every now and then? Also, is the Blue Run prize worthy in your opinion?

Last edited:
Are there some sweeter daily sippers out there? I'm gonna head over to the local 123 and see what they have to offer. Probably will go tomorrow since they already closed rn.
I'll give you a rye, a scotch and three bourbons you should be able to find anywhere...
  • Angel's Envy Rye
  • Glenmorangie Nectar d’Or
  • Evan Williams SiB
  • JW Dant BIB
  • Maker's Mark

How's that JTS Brown? I never heard much about it but I see it in haul pics every now and then? Also, is the Blue Run prize worthy in your opinion?
If it's good enough for "Fast Eddie" then it's good enough for me. lol I see the 80 proof all the time, but I finally pulled the trigger when I saw the BIB. I plan on using it for cocktails after a friend from Bowling Green recommended it to me. I will let you guys know when I break it open, but I think it will be hard to beat $12 heaven Hill BIB. Fun Fact: the "Brown" on JTS Brown is the Same "Brown" in "Brown-Foreman", maker's of Old Forester, Woodford Reserve, etc.

Looks like you should be good for a month. ;-)
I was good for a few months before I added this batch. lol

I'll give you a rye, a scotch and three bourbons you should be able to find anywhere...
  • Angel's Envy Rye
  • Glenmorangie Nectar d’Or
  • Evan Williams SiB
  • JW Dant BIB
  • Maker's Mark

If it's good enough for "Fast Eddie" then it's good enough for me. lol I see the 80 proof all the time, but I finally pulled the trigger when I saw the BIB. I plan on using it for cocktails after a friend from Bowling Green recommended it to me. I will let you guys know when I break it open, but I think it will be hard to beat $12 heaven Hill BIB. Fun Fact: the "Brown" on JTS Brown is the Same "Brown" in "Brown-Foreman", maker's of Old Forester, Woodford Reserve, etc.

I was good for a few months before I added this batch. lol
Yeah I've heard a lot about that Heaven Hill BiB and I'm looking for it.

Well, I was referring to the JTS Brown BIB which is made by Heaven Hill....
Ahhhhhh! I was thinking you meant those bottles of Heaven Hill green label behind the JTS, but I realize now that's the 6 year, not the BiB.

I've been reading reviews of OF SiB Barrel Strength Rye and I want some so bad.

Ahhhhhh! I was thinking you meant those bottles of Heaven Hill green label behind the JTS, but I realize now that's the 6 year, not the BiB.

I've been reading reviews of OF SiB Barrel Strength Rye and I want some so bad.
The HH green label is the 6 year, sold only in KY and it's getting tougher to find. Apparently the secret is out. The HH BiB is a round bottle with a blue label, aged 7 years. You can find it somewhat regularly in the 48 states. My previous statement was to indicate that the JTS Brown BIB is a HH distilled product.

Made a foray into budget priced scotch today and purchased a bottle of Tomatin Dulchas single malt from Walmart for about $25.

The price is shocking as this (being scotch) is an imported whiskey which means transportation and tariff costs plus it is single malt and not a blend. Needless to say, i bought it more out of curiosity than any real hope for a decent scotch.

43% ABV
Color: pale straw
Nose: vanilla, lemon, sweet frosting, and a couple non-specific notes of herbal and metallic
Taste: mild pepper, vanilla, apple, white chocolate, and a mild herbal component. It's light bodied with a short finish. Odd that it has a definite citrus scent with no citrus flavor (at least to me)

It's a solid middle of the road scotch...so at around $25 it's a helluva deal.

I will put it this way....comparing apples to apples (highland or speyside scotches and the basic offerings...no special finishes) you would definitely need to spend about $40 to match this. More to beat it.

Ok decided I was tired of 'slumming' it with my scotch choices and tried a limited edition from Compass Box called Menagerie

All of Compass Box's offerings are blends. Now I am not a fan of blends....partly because I generally haven't liked the ones I have tried, but also because I was a bit influenced by the gentleman who did my AC/electrical work at my business who is from Scotland and used to have a job as a scotch taster (and he HATES blends). For example, I find Johnnie Walker to be overpriced garbage but I have enjoyed the blended scotches I have had from Compass Box (Artist, Glasgow, and Spice Tree).

46% ABV
Nose: Earthy, lightly sweet, rubbing alcohol
Taste: hard to describe...very complex. Caramel, toffee, roasted nuts, some oak, a dash of peat, pepper, nutmeg.
Finish: flavor breaks off quick and clean

All the flavors blend together perfectly. I love this whiskey. I admit I was a little worried by the nose, but this is a great tasting, smooth whiskey that is definitely one of my favorite All time drams

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
I tried searching this thread (but could have overlooked it); has anyone ever had (or have a bottle) of William Larue Weller?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom