Whiskey Thread (3 Viewers)

I am getting worn out with the Bourbon hunt in my area--for stuff that is more difficult to find and also just a bit bored with the stuff regularly found on the shelves...
Is there a website you guys use/trust when it comes to buying good booze??
Friends of mine utilize groups on FB, but I have never had an account.

I am getting worn out with the Bourbon hunt in my area--for stuff that is more difficult to find and also just a bit bored with the stuff regularly found on the shelves...
Is there a website you guys use/trust when it comes to buying good booze??
Friends of mine utilize groups on FB, but I have never had an account.
I don't trust Facebook groups, but mostly I'm not paying $300 for Weller 12 yr or $200 for Blanton's. Sometimes I swap bottles with people I meet who are also looking for bottles and I have a small group text of people I trust. I keep a mental list of what some people like and often grab a bottle for them, knowing they do the same for me. We often share samples of the stuff we find, too.

I have ordered barrel picks from a few online stores. Bottle Republic, Prime Barrel, Taste Select Repeat, etc. I don't buy allocated stuff at secondary prices, mostly because people have lost their damn minds on the prices. There are a couple websites overseas I've used. The shipping is higher, so it's always been for something that's not really in circulation here in the states. Last thing I bought was a bottle of WT 60th Anniversary for $40 over MSRP plus $40 in shipping. Not too shabby for something sold in 2015.

IMO, barrel picks are what I find more interesting outside or allocation at MSRP. That and distillery-only releases. Find a couple good stores in your area and regularly do picks and give them your business. I have a store here where I occasionally get an allocated bottle. I open it in store and shared with the staff before I leave. Sometimes I bring in a bottle that's off the beaten path to share as well.

Today my local shop released 1792 Single Barrel that they picked out. It's the best bottle of 1792 SiB I've ever had. Everything was pleasant from the nose through the finish. Lots of vanilla, honey, caramel with a nice, creamy mouth feel reserved for bottles 2-3 times the price. The flavor was lighter than the standard small batch, but not lacking in strength in any way.

He also sold me a Larceny barrel pick that was mistakenly delivered to his store. Classic Heaven Hill wheated Nashville, same used for Old Fitz. Tasted nothing like the typical Larceny, but a lot like Old Fitz. I'm going to try a side by side, but I feel like the only difference will be the proof.

I lucked into 2 really good bottles today and spent $80 total. Best of all, a shared a pour with the guys that work there. They usually have a bottle of their store pick open for tasting. Not a bad day at all.

Allocated bourbon is good stuff you should never turn down at retail price, for the most part. Store picks, barrel picks, etc are a real value that is often better than the allocated stuff. Find a shop (or two), ask questions, get to know the folks that run it and you won't be disappointed.

Tonight is "kill'em dead...."

Powerpoint slide makin' and finishing off the vapors that were left in several bottles... Monkey Shoulder, Four Roses SB and Glenfiddich 12....separately, of course... SRV full albums providing the background music.

Tonight is "kill'em dead...."

Powerpoint slide makin' and finishing off the vapors that were left in several bottles... Monkey Shoulder, Four Roses SB and Glenfiddich 12....separately, of course... SRV full albums providing the background music.
I'm about to do a pour of MS. I have the FRSB, but never liked it.

I picked up the Jura Journey. Not bad. The first day I tried it, I enjoyed it. It's hard to describe. First taste is somewhat thick, a bit of a vanilla sweet, but it feels like the flavor just runs away, and then you get that dry pepper hit. I guess some call that smoke. but Seems more dry than smokey.

I swore the other day I had a bit of a sea water note in there, maybe citrus or pear, but I'm not finding it now.

I also got a bottle of the Redemption High Rye. Never had a rye before, and it was like $25. One thing I do notice about both Redemption bottles (the Wheat was the other I mentioned before). The corks are kinda crappy. I have noticed some cork fragments on the bottle and sometimes floating in the bourbon.

Last edited:
If you're in BR, Calandria is releasing a 4R SiB BS lick this Friday at noon. Expect about 200 bottles and a long line to buy it. IMO, 4R SiB BS releases are one of the few hype bottles that live up to the hype.

Grab me one if you see it. Lol

If you're in BR, Calandria is releasing a 4R SiB BS lick this Friday at noon. Expect about 200 bottles and a long line to buy it. IMO, 4R SiB BS releases are one of the few hype bottles that live up to the hype.

Grab me one if you see it. Lol
Did you mean this?

Screenshot_20220120-130527_Total Wine.jpg

Did you mean this?

Screenshot_20220120-130527_Total Wine.jpg

I think he means 4 Roses Single Barrel - Barrel Pick made by Calandria. But, that 4 Rouses Small Batch Select is very good. Although I think the 4 Rouses Single barrel is nearly as good and a much better value for the average drinker. The SBS is very complex, but requires a lot of concentration. So no point in drinking it unless you are really committed to tasting and paying attention.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: MLU
I grabbed a second bottle of the Master's Keep One this week and found a bottle of 4R SiB BS and the new Redbreast PX Cask last week. This year is starting well for me, also.

I have never bought Redbreast because I have never found an Irish Whisky I like for anything other than Irish Coffee. I just don't like the flavors. I think it's mostly due to the grain alcohol in Jameson. Anyway, how would Redbreast compare to Jameson? I'm sure it's better, but does it have a similar flavor profile?

I think he means 4 Roses Single Barrel - Barrel Pick made by Calandria. But, that 4 Rouses Small Batch Select is very good. Although I think the 4 Rouses Single barrel is nearly as good and a much better value for the average drinker. The SBS is very complex, but requires a lot of concentration. So no point in drinking it unless you are really committed to tasting and paying attention.
I just have the 4 Roses Small Batch and I don't like it at all. But, my problem is I like sweet stuff, so that really eliminates a lot of options in terms of drinking whisky neat. About the only thing I like right now is Bailey's or something similar. I'm definitely not a seasoned drinker tho, so the flavor profiles I like will probably be a lot different than someone who's been drinking for years.

I have never bought Redbreast because I have never found an Irish Whisky I like for anything other than Irish Coffee. I just don't like the flavors. I think it's mostly due to the grain alcohol in Jameson. Anyway, how would Redbreast compare to Jameson? I'm sure it's better, but does it have a similar flavor profile?
Never had it, but...

I just have the 4 Roses Small Batch and I don't like it at all. But, my problem is I like sweet stuff, so that really eliminates a lot of options in terms of drinking whisky neat. About the only thing I like right now is Bailey's or something similar. I'm definitely not a seasoned drinker tho, so the flavor profiles I like will probably be a lot different than someone who's been drinking for years.

Yeah, whiskey by itself is not sweet and if you are going to sweeten it up, there is no point in using something really expensive. 4 Roses in general is high rye so it's usually less sweet and more spicy. Plus that 4 Rouses Small Batch is 104 Proof which is going to kill any sweetness. Maker's which is wheated is fairly sweet and Jack Daniels is one of the sweetest whiskeys. But, neither is going to taste sweet to a non-whiskey vet.

One option for you is the Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey. It's basically Jack mixed with Honey. It's very sweet but good if you are looking for something sweet.

Another option for you would be a Manhattan. And as you learn to drink more whiskey, you might try corn based whiskey which tends to be sweeter. And, I'm not talking moonshine, I'm talking stuff like Balcones Baby Blue which is a corn whiskey that is barrel aged.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom