White disabled man kidnapped in chicago and beaten live on facebook (1 Viewer)

This is despicable. This looks like the definition of a hate crime to me, as we understand it. It looks like the picked this guy out because he was white, alone and handicapped. It also appears they took it as an opportunity to strike out against Trump supporters and make a statement. I don't know if this guy was a Trump supporter or not, regardless, this is all very ugly.

I'm glad they where stupid enough to let themselves get caught. One thing about racist that seems to span all color spectrum's, they aren't typically very smart.

Personally I don't think it was a "Trump thing". A hate crime? Yes. The reality of it is Trump's name was brought up by the people whom committed this crime. So it's their own fault if people are claiming it's a "Trump thing".

please reference the title of this thread
why is this on PDB?
why are the alt-wrong sites claiming BLM involvement?

to be clear, the crime is grotesque, but trying to co-opt the story is pretty bad too

If someone is attacked because of their race, it creates fear among those who are members of the same group.

It's a crime against the entire group.

this. ( for dtc i mean )

this. ( for dtc i mean )

Yeah, well when someone is raped it creates fear for all women and men. When someone is robbed, it strikes fear in everyone in the neighborhood. When someone gets in a wreck with a drunk it creates fear among all drivers.

I guess I just don't see the need of adding more and more laws and layers.

What these people did appears to have included kidnapping, torture, assault and assorted aggravating circumstances. If the young man was mentally handicapped then I'm sure there are specific additional laws about that.

I get the point, it just seems like all the distinctions serve a nebulous purpose.

For those who don't get the "hate crime" thing:

Should a terrorist who killed 5 people be prosecuted/sentenced differently than a drug dealer who shot 5 members of a rival gang/drug group?

Should a person who kills 3 cops be prosecuted/sentenced differently than someone who killed 3 family members?

Should a terrorist who killed 5 people be prosecuted/sentenced differently than a drug dealer who shot 5 members of a rival gang/drug group?

Should a person who kills 3 cops be prosecuted/sentenced differently than someone who killed 3 family members?

While my version may not be accurate as far as opinions go, I've always viewed "hate crime" laws to be more about assuring there's less ways to find loopholes to get out of punishment for the crime versus needing to punish them more.

Chicago police consider hate crime charges in Facebook video of attack - Chicago Tribune

Clearly this isn't fake. It happened.

On Tuesday afternoon, police officers spotted the victim walking on a street on the West Side wearing shorts, Guglielmi said. Because it was unusual to see a man in shorts in the cold weather, the officers stopped to talk to the man, who appeared disoriented, and he was taken to a hospital to be treated for his injuries.

Toxicology tests were performed at the hospital to determine if the victim was under the influence of anything.

Police said the victim was a classmate of one of the suspects. He was held hostage for at least 24 hours and as long as 48 hours.

"It's quite a possibility that this is a kidnapping and that's certainly one of the charges we'll be seeking if it turns out to be that. But, he's traumatized by the incident and it's tough to communicate with him at this point," said Chicago Police Commander Kevin Duffin.

Community activist Andrew Holmes was made aware of the disturbing video, which he is calling a "hate crime."

Although President-elect Donald Trump was mentioned, Chicago Police do not believe the crime was politically motivated.

"I think some of it is just stupidity, people just ranting about something that they think might make a headline. I don't think that at this point we have anything concrete to really point us in that direction, but we'll keep investigating and we'll let the facts guide us on how this concludes," Supt. Johnson said.

Charges are expected to be filed in the next 24 hours.

That being said, I think the title should be edited to remove "trump supporter" because there is nothing tying the victim to that. All it is are a bunch of criminals who kidnapped and beat someone and yelled out stupid stuff. It may end up as a hate crime, and kidnapping, etc.

This is a sickening crime, even if there is more to this story (classmates), but in no way is this type of behavior warranted or welcome in society. However, this doesn't seem politically motivated, it just seems hate / criminally motivated.

Also, depending on the conversation this may end up moving to the EE, since other than being stupid for yelling out Trump's name, it doesn't seem overly political. I'll leave it be for a bit.

While my version may not be accurate as far as opinions go, I've always viewed "hate crime" laws to be more about assuring there's less ways to find loopholes to get out of punishment for the crime versus needing to punish them more.
I've never seen it that way. I'm not sure how a hate crime law would make it less easy to find loopholes to innocence, but maybe I just haven't heard of a hate crime law that does so. Most are either codifying that an act committed because of targeted bias is an actual crime (i.e., it explicitly states that threatening or intimidating people of certain groups is a crime, whereas threatening or intimidating other people would not be or would be harder to prosecute), or else an additional directive that the crime punishment carries a tougher sentence, such as Florida laws.

Of course, I could be mistaken.

EDIT: Also, if it is about closing loopholes, that is a difference in prosecuting the case that makes it easier to successfully prosecute someone who has committed a hate crime.

No. They should all be summarily executed.

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/civil-rights/hate-crimes

Hate crimes are the highest priority of the FBI’s Civil Rights program, not only because of the devastating impact they have on families and communities, but also because groups that preach hatred and intolerance can plant the seed of terrorism here in our country. The Bureau investigates hundreds of these cases every year and works to detect and deter further incidents through law enforcement training, public outreach, and partnerships with a myriad of community groups.

Traditionally, FBI investigations of hate crimes were limited to crimes in which the perpetrators acted based on a bias against the victim’s race, color, religion, or national origin. In addition, investigations were restricted to those wherein the victim was engaged in a federally protected activity. With the passage of the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009, the Bureau became authorized to investigate these crimes without this prohibition. This landmark legislation also expanded the role of the FBI to allow for the investigation of hate crimes committed against those based on biases of actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or gender.

Defining a Hate Crime

A hate crime is a traditional offense like murder, arson, or vandalism with an added element of bias. For the purposes of collecting statistics, the FBI has defined a hate crime as a “criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity.” Hate itself is not a crime—and the FBI is mindful of protecting freedom of speech and other civil liberties.

These efforts serve as a backstop for investigations by state and local authorities, which handle the vast majority of hate crime cases throughout the country.

EDIT: Also, if it is about closing loopholes, that is a difference in prosecuting the case that makes it easier to successfully prosecute someone who has committed a hate crime.

That's what I meant.

Chicago police consider hate crime charges in Facebook video of attack - Chicago Tribune

Clearly this isn't fake. It happened.

That being said, I think the title should be edited to remove "trump supporter" because there is nothing tying the victim to that. All it is are a bunch of criminals who kidnapped and beat someone and yelled out stupid stuff. It may end up as a hate crime, and kidnapping, etc.

This is a sickening crime, even if there is more to this story (classmates), but in no way is this type of behavior warranted or welcome in society. However, this doesn't seem politically motivated, it just seems hate / criminally motivated.

It's a Trump thing because those alleged were recorded saying "Trump" as part of their act , its nothing anyone is assuming or something implied

The only real question I would ask is why his name was mentioned and who influenced it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom