White disabled man kidnapped in chicago and beaten live on facebook (1 Viewer)

I'm late to this party but I have a couple of thoughts to contribute. For the record, I have not watched the video and will just rely on what I've heard from others. I don't think I could bring myself to watching it.

1. It's incredibly disturbing that 4 kids, at such a (relatively) young age are already committing such heinous crimes. I get that there is a lot of factors that result in a kid turning out this way (or 4 of them) - yet it's still hard to wrap my head around it.

2. To Looney's point: I find it equally as disturbing that all these people were sitting around watching it live and encouraging it while also not reporting it - if that is in fact true. Did not one person stop and say "hey as a human being, this is simply abhorrent and something should be said to someone of authority" ?

Too many questions about what is wrong with society, social media, parenting and hate-motivated activities arise (for me) and there's merely not enough time in the day to discuss them all. I just find it so disturbing. If my child ever participated in something like this, I'd be dead inside to know that his father and my influence was not enough to deter him from choosing not to be such a piece of human garbage.

I'm late to this party but I have a couple of thoughts to contribute. For the record, I have not watched the video and will just rely on what I've heard from others. I don't think I could bring myself to watching it.

1. It's incredibly disturbing that 4 kids, at such a (relatively) young age are already committing such heinous crimes. I get that there is a lot of factors that result in a kid turning out this way (or 4 of them) - yet it's still hard to wrap my head around it.

2. To Looney's point: I find it equally as disturbing that all these people were sitting around watching it live and encouraging it while also not reporting it - if that is in fact true. Did not one person stop and say "hey as a human being, this is simply abhorrent and something should be said to someone of authority" ?

Too many questions about what is wrong with society, social media, parenting and hate-motivated activities arise (for me) and there's merely not enough time in the day to discuss them all. I just find it so disturbing. If my child ever participated in something like this, I'd be dead inside to know that his father and my influence was not enough to deter him from choosing not to be such a piece of human garbage.

i'm sure i don't have to tell you, but there are plenty of videos out there showing groups of people sexually assaulting someone with others standing around - some of the victims are also special needs

weaving in Retro's "teen suicide" thread ("happened in my town" or something like that), the only thing that seems significantly different with "kids these days" is the technology - Retro discuss the 24/7 bullying, with this i wonder about some 'youtube desensitization'

but i do have to say that being shocked by human behavior and teen behavior in particular is weird - what in our human hstory leads us to believe that humans in general and teens in particular don't do some ****** up **** at times?

i'm sure i don't have to tell you, but there are plenty of videos out there showing groups of people sexually assaulting someone with others standing around - some of the victims are also special needs

weaving in Retro's "teen suicide" thread ("happened in my town" or something like that), the only thing that seems significantly different with "kids these days" is the technology - Retro discuss the 24/7 bullying, with this i wonder about some 'youtube desensitization'

but i do have to say that being shocked by human behavior and teen behavior in particular is weird - what in our human hstory leads us to believe that humans in general and teens in particular don't do some ****** up **** at times?

I'm not disputing that teens don't do some ****** up **** at times. It's just that usually something this grotesque is part of a progression of a life of crime. The level and time frame of crime escalation for these kids is what is disturbing - to me.

Facebook live is just a bad idea. So much bad potential.

(and yes I know that the perps would have done this with or without FBL, I am not blaming FBL, just think FBL is over the top)

I think one thing to ponder is why certain parts of the country get certain stereotypes. i.e. why people act a certain way in different geographical locations. Why are New Yorkers always in a rush? Why do New Orleanians tend to offer you food? Why do people in Seattle mostly avoid jay walking? Why do people get hooked on Starbucks? Why do firefighters like trucks so much?

I'm using a few silly examples, but bare with me.

Why is there an apparent disrespect of life? or lack of caring about life? This isn't the days of the Vikings pillaging towns. Obviously the indifference of life has been engrained within humanities past. We slaughtered the Natives here, for instance. We murder during war. And so on. But why do certain neighborhoods have such a lack of respect of life? Why are people more likely to not care if you live or die in the West side of Chicago, or Central City New Orleans, vs maybe Slidell or Central Wisconsin?

What is it about a culture (economic, social structure, other influences) that cause people to generally not give a crap about life, their community, anyone?

I think it's easy to talk about parenting and all that, but these kind of deep seeded cultural issues go back further. This isn't just young kids doing the wrong thing, this is young kids raised by others in a community who all tend to do the wrong thing or just ignore it.

"The evil we must fear, is the indifference of good men"

Bad people exist everywhere, and good people exist everywhere, but what draws pockets of behaviors to certain areas?

I know people do ****ed up ****. It's has always happened to some degree and always will, but none of this feels different to you? I mean kidnapping and torturing somebody for over a day? I personally can't wrap my head abound 18 year olds doing that and broadcasting it for the world to see. Both elements are equally disturbing. And when you put in the third element of other people watching this and not being horrified by it and not alerting authorities?

I don't know for sure, but it just seems worse. The random nature of so much of the violence, the levels to which some of these perpetrators take it, the total lack of thought about other people and their families, etc. When you combine all of the massacres and this type of violence along with the violence in our inner cities, there's just so much of it that is extremely disturbing.

Why is there an apparent disrespect of life? or lack of caring about life? This isn't the days of the Vikings pillaging towns. Obviously the indifference of life has been engrained within humanities past. We slaughtered the Natives here, for instance. We murder during war. And so on. But why do certain neighborhoods have such a lack of respect of life? Why are people more likely to not care if you live or die in the West side of Chicago, or Central City New Orleans, vs maybe Slidell or Central Wisconsin?

What is it about a culture (economic, social structure, other influences) that cause people to generally not give a crap about life, their community, anyone?

I think it's easy to talk about parenting and all that, but these kind of deep seeded cultural issues go back further. This isn't just young kids doing the wrong thing, this is young kids raised by others in a community who all tend to do the wrong thing or just ignore it.

Bad people exist everywhere, and good people exist everywhere, but what draws pockets of behaviors to certain areas?

Great question and I'd like to know the answer if such a question can even be answered. I know enough to know when I'm out of my element. A man has to know his limitations. I wouldn't know where to begin to answer this question.

What causes people to have so little value for life?

Facebook live is just a bad idea. So much bad potential.

(and yes I know that the perps would have done this with or without FBL, I am not blaming FBL, just think FBL is over the top)

Actually, it might help to catch the really stupid ones.

I know people do ****ed up ****. It's has always happened to some degree and always will, but none of this feels different to you? I mean kidnapping and torturing somebody for over a day? I personally can't wrap my head abound 18 year olds doing that and broadcasting it for the world to see. Both elements are equally disturbing. And when you put in the third element of other people watching this and not being horrified by it and not alerting authorities?

I don't know for sure, but it just seems worse. The random nature of so much of the violence, the levels to which some of these perpetrators take it, the total lack of thought about other people and their families, etc. When you combine all of the massacres and this type of violence along with the violence in our inner cities, there's just so much of it that is extremely disturbing.

We are going to care MUCH more about Ebola than the Plague or polio - our current "malady" (whether actual malady or just a social ill) will always feel more pressing and immediate and thus more dangerous/important than something in the past that might have been 1000x worse

now we do know that there are some things like suicides that have copycat appeal - and we've seen the cinnamon challenge and all sorts of nonsense that people get up to on FB - so there might even be a spike in certain types of horrible behavior, but I would also anticipate that that spike would fall just as rapidly once the 'copycat' phase is over

I'm using a few silly examples, but bare with me.
i have an even sillier one that might get to a point in the next discussion
a $0.01 set of beads has great 'value' when it's launched from a Muses float and negative value when some tourist buys it in the French Quarter in June

we ascribe value to things situationally

i've talked about this before in terms of teen pregnancy - my wife has done a lot of work/research into teen pregnancy in poor neighborhoods
one compelling theory is that pregnancy is the one time in a young african american girl's life (not just AA obviously) where she is valued by 'society'
she might be neglected or disparaged her entire life except for those 5-4 months that she's showing

the question isn't why do these kids give such negligible value to life? the question is more, have we as a society showed that we value these kids? - when we answer the 2nd question honestly, we'll know the answer to the first question

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom