White House Discusses Plan To Reopen With Sports Leagues (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
I don’t know if I should post this because it is somewhat related to politics, but since this has to do with the possible reopening of sports leagues, I felt this was appropriate to post. If this goes off topic please delete or move it to the appropriate place.

Qhttps://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29109067/white-house-discusses-re-opening-plan-sports-leagues

Just FYI, if you take out the Q the article works fine.

As for the article, the most encouraging part of it is that they expect a large increase in testing. As discussed on other threads, getting enough testing for those who need it in the general population is essential before we think about sports. Once that happens (which they believe is coming soon), team sports become a real possibility again.

I don't watch golf, but it seems to me that it might be feasible to resume the tournaments relatively soon. It's played outside. The spectators could be physically distanced from one another if they are standing. That's not possible in a stadium or arena. Require masks. Other than that, it's difficult to envision resuming other sports.

I see no reason the NFL won't be playing. It'll be to empty stadiums with piped in noise, but testing before each game will be an easy thing to do by the fall. The risk to people under 40 is nearly nil as well. The key will be having protocols in place if someone does test positive in order to quarantine them and keep them from endangering demographics that are at risk. That shouldn't be hard to manage.

The risk to people under 40 is nearly nil as well.
Unfortunately even though they may not get dangerously sick and die, they can be carriers and unknowingly pass it on to those more vulnerable to a bad COVID outcome.

I get that we likely won’t see players get sick and die — but what about older coaches, refs, field crew, broadcast crews, etc...?

For those that are not healthcare workers or in the know on this it IS affecting younger people. Outside of the obvious ones who die or get really sick, it is now being observed that younger individuals(20's, 30's, and 40's) are going to ER's at an alarmingly high rate relative to the norms seen before Covid-19 for strokes and bleeding problems. This virus is weird so don't believe that just because they're young they'll be okay. That's not true. Scientists and doctors still aren't sure why it's affecting certain individuals and not others. Just an FYI for everyone. The more you know.

Unfortunately even though they may not get dangerously sick and die, they can be carriers and unknowingly pass it on to those more vulnerable to a bad COVID outcome.

I get that we likely won’t see players get sick and die — but what about older coaches, refs, field crew, broadcast crews, etc...?

Well, broadcast crews are easy to keep away from everyone, especially when there won't be fans. Coaches in the most at risk groups can go to the booth. Refs can take precautions, not get right up in players faces, etc. There are things to mitigate.

The only way this could be done safely is by limiting travel. Dedicate one city for all games. Have leagues purchase bulk 15-min tests (good luck with that) and do one heck of a job with PR on that considering we still don’t have enough tests. Test players multiple times throughout the week. Possibly have players stay in dedicated hotels for the season. Other than that, I can see the seasons being cancelled. The risk isn’t worth it.

We could just give players, coaches, managers, refs, etc... plasma with antibodies right?

Yeah, I know high risk people and sports aren't essential and all that. But lets face it, we're 1-1/2 years away from a vaccine, even then it's iffy whether or not this can be vaccined and for how long. But if we're talking strictly how to have a 2020 NFL season, then this seems like the logical one-all be-all... and the league can afford it.

Even if they don't do this or some other fix, I think the NFL season will be a go, albeit probably without fans in the stands. Advantage-Falcons.

Football officials present an unusual problem. But I think I saw (pretty sure) that 3M was setting up a new assembly line to produce masks that have built in whistles. That solves one problem.

Just FYI, if you take out the Q the article works fine.

As for the article, the most encouraging part of it is that they expect a large increase in testing. As discussed on other threads, getting enough testing for those who need it in the general population is essential before we think about sports. Once that happens (which they believe is coming soon), team sports become a real possibility again.

Yeah, I don't understand why the White House has all these discussions on everything but what should be discussed like more national testing and contact tracking. The situation won't change on a whole until we do that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom