White only scholarship rattles some cages. (1 Viewer)

Forest

Banned
Reaction score
White-only scholarship given in Rhode Island

By Sarah Goldfarb email
Collegian Staff Writer

Today, one lucky student at Rhode Island's Roger Williams University will win a scholarship. The requirements do not include a 4.0 grade point average or a long list of accomplishments, but applicants do have to be white.

The scholarship was created earlier this month by the school's College Republicans to show members' opposition to affirmative action.

It has sparked debate across Roger Williams University and the nation. Roger Williams College Republicans President Jason Mattera is of Puerto Rican descent and a recipient of a $5,000 scholarship open only to a minority group. "It doesn't matter what my ethnicity is; the point is scholarships should be given out not based on race but on need and ability," he said.
Application
Requirements for the white student only scholarship:
Essay: "In 100 words or less, write why you are proud of your white heritage and explain what being white means to you."
Picture: "Must attach a picture to confirm whiteness. Evidence of bleaching will disqualify applicants."

Scholarship applicants were required to write a short essay about why they are proud of their white heritage and what it means to them to be white. They were also required to attach a picture to "prove their whiteness," according to the application.

Penn State College Republicans President Richard Pastena said he likes the idea of a scholarship for which only white students are eligible.

"I think they have a really good and creative idea to show the discriminatory nature of affirmative action and race-based scholarships," Pastena said. "It's great to see Republicans across the country using creativity to show how ridiculous it is to give advantages to people based solely on their race."

Another report:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2674267&page=1

Last edited:
'Roger Williams College Republicans President Jason Mattera is of Puerto Rican descent and a recipient of a $5,000 scholarship open only to a minority group. "It doesn't matter what my ethnicity is; the point is scholarships should be given out not based on race but on need and ability," he said.'

If he felt that strongly about it, he would not have applied for, nor accepted, his own ethnicity-based scholarship.

Hypocrisy, and activism for the sake of getting attention. Sad.

soulman1.jpg

"That's whack!"

'Roger Williams College Republicans President Jason Mattera is of Puerto Rican descent and a recipient of a $5,000 scholarship open only to a minority group. "It doesn't matter what my ethnicity is; the point is scholarships should be given out not based on race but on need and ability," he said.'

If he felt that strongly about it, he would not have applied for, nor accepted, his own ethnicity-based scholarship.

Hypocrisy, and activism for the sake of getting attention. Sad.

If people want to get together and pay for some dude's college, I don't care what their criteria are as long as it's not my money.

I think its silly that this is being noticed much less an outrage. There are plenty of scholarhips out there that are black only or other minorities.

Example:

http://www.nabj.org/programs/scholarships/story/55p-815c.html

That is just one. You can search and come up with LOTS.

Silly silly, Everyone should have the right to have scholarship for whoever they want to offer them too. Scholarhips are gifts. Gifts that are earned, but still.

If someone comes from a poor town, makes it big and then wants to offer scholarhips to all boys in that town. So be it. people do things for their own personal reasons.

blah blah blah blah....*gets of my rant box*

Hahahahahahahaha-Lots of race based threads these days.
I think the activists are busy-who's going to protest this?

I agree that people should be able to give scholarships to whoever they wish. And under whatever criteria they wish.

I just think it is strange that he is protesting something he endorsed by accepting a scholarship based on ethnicity requirements.

Kind of like if Cindy Sheehan was a soldier.

Jayden beat me to it.

I have always wondered if something like this would happen and what kind of bomb it would set off.

They have been around for a looong time. The NAAWP gives out 3 or 4 a year.

THe perception that there are no "white only" clubs or scholarships or organizations or... anything is a myth.

BTW, there are way too many links to post but do a Google search for White only scholarships to see what I mean. There are tons. Heck, the one mention in this article actually started in 2004 and took over 2 years to get the minor amount of media attention it's getting now.

Here's a blog that actually talks, with links, about a number of white only scholarships:

http://colorblind.typepad.com/the_colorblind_society/2004/02/whitesonly_scho.html

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom