White Riot: the rise of xenophobic populism in the West (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Very detailed and interesting read. The thesis is that research shows that the rise of right-wing populism is more about genuine racism than it is about economic issues (global trade, job competition, etc.). In other words, White Christians are fearful of losing their privilege of dominating Western life.

Here is the intro:

It’s tempting to see Trump’s rise as something sui generis: something so bizarre, so linked to his own celebrity, that it could never be repeated. Yet it is being repeated: Throughout the Western world, far-right populists are rising in the polls.

In Hungary, the increasingly authoritarian prime minister, Viktor Orban, has started building a wall to keep out immigrants and holding migrants in detention camps where guards have been filmed flinging food at them as if they were zoo animals. In Italy, the anti-immigrant Northern League, led by a politician who has attacked the pope for calling for dialogue with Muslims, is polling at more than three times its 2013 level, making it the country’s third most popular party. And in Finland, the Finns Party — which wants to dramatically slash immigration numbers and keep out many non-Europeans — is part of the government. Its leader, Timo Soini, is the country’s foreign minister.

These politicians share Trump’s populist contempt for the traditional political elite. They share his authoritarian views on crime and justice. But most importantly, they share his xenophobia: They despise immigrants, vowing to close the borders to refugees and economic migrants alike, and are open in their belief that Muslims are inherently dangerous.

These parties’ values are too similar, and their victories coming too quickly, for their success to be coincidental. Their platforms, a right-wing radicalism somewhere between traditional conservatism and the naked racism of the Nazis and Ku Klux Klan, have attracted widespread support in countries with wildly different cultures and histories.

The conventional wisdom is that the economic losses suffered by working-class people throughout the developed world explain the rise of this new right. Hundreds of thousands of jobs are estimated to have been lost due to free trade pacts in recent decades, with industries like manufacturing absorbing much of the pain.

That’s created an ocean of angry and frustrated people — primarily blue-collar and primarily white — who are susceptible to the appeal of a nationalist leader promising to bring back what they feel has been taken away.

This anger plays some small part, but it doesn't tell most of the story. A vast universe of academic research suggests the real drivers are something very different: anger over immigration and a toxic mix of racial and religious intolerance. That conclusion is supported by an extraordinary amount of social science, from statistical analyses that examine data on how hundreds of thousands of Europeans look at immigrants to ground-level looks at how Muslim immigration affects municipal voting, and on to books on how, when, and why ethnic conflicts erupt.

This research finds that, contrary to what you’d expect, the "losers of globalization" aren’t the ones voting for these parties. What unites far-right politicians and their supporters, on both sides of the Atlantic, is a set of regressive attitudes toward difference. Racism, Islamophobia, and xenophobia — and not economic anxiety — are their calling cards.

The ongoing surge of immigrants — especially those who venerate a different prophet or have a darker skin tone — is triggering a fierce right-wing backlash around the West. In the US, the anger about Latino immigration has linked up to another racial anxiety: Many white Americans believe their privileged status is being eroded by the past half-century of moves toward treating African American as truly equal citizens.

Donald Trump is a manifestation of this backlash, as are Brexit and the surge of support for far-right European parties. They show the extent of white Christian anger — the privileged who are furious that their privileges are being stripped away by those they view as outside interlopers.
White riot - Vox

saintmdterps

If we give ya the boogie, can ya handle it?
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's interesting to me that Trump is still pushing his "Mexican wall" agenda. I know the "wall" plays well with his supporters, but what the US stole by force from Mexico under the doctine of manifest destiny is indeed destined to be lost via assimilation.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's interesting to me that Trump is still pushing his "Mexican wall" agenda. I know the "wall" plays well with his supporters, but what the US stole by force from Mexico under the doctine of manifest destiny is indeed destined to be lost via assimilation.

What do you mean stole by force from Mexico? If that's your standard, isn't the whole thing illegitimate? And then what?

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know that I'd use the term "stolen". Some of it was sold voluntarily to the U.S., some other territories just took their queue from Texas and annexed themselves to the U.S. ...

I think the idea of a wall plays well to simplistic minds who have been fed a whole lot of BS by politicians, and only see the stock footage of a few people jumping a fence somewhere in the desert. They don't think coyotes and cartels are in the 21st century too lol.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. The conclusions the article draws seem tenuous at best and likely pure bs

Explain. The piece is largely centered on examination of xenophobic right-wing populism in Europe that looks to draw comparisons to the Trump campaign. It concludes that "racial anxiety" in a "weak state" may be a better explanation for the tolerance of certain viewpoints than the conventional wisdom that they are explained by economic conditions.

"Likely pure bs" and "buzzwords" are not fair refutation of a piece that cites extensively to academic analysis of relevant histories and demographic studies. I offer the piece not as endorsement of its conclusions but for discussion. The fact remains that there has been a remarkable rise of right-wing populism based, in part, on anti-immigrant policies in the West in the last few years. Here is a piece that attempts to place that rise in a historical and demographic context. I'm sure there is ample room for fair critical reaction.

kennydfresh

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
"Many white Americans believe their privileged status is being eroded by the past half-century of moves toward treating African American as truly equal citizens." I'll just leave this here, if Blacks were truly treated equal you would have no BLM, no Kalpernick situation, no race-baiting Al Sharpton, and no racial privilege of any sort. The US would be what it was meant to be a melting pot other than a toss salad it is now.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"Many white Americans believe their privileged status is being eroded by the past half-century of moves toward treating African American as truly equal citizens." I'll just leave this here, if Blacks were truly treated equal you would have no BLM, no Kalpernick situation, no race-baiting Al Sharpton, and no racial privilege of any sort. The US would be what it was meant to be a melting pot other than a toss salad it is now.
It says "moves toward" it doesn't say "truly treated equal". Isn't the struggle precisely the premise?

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
Explain. The piece is largely centered on examination of xenophobic right-wing populism in Europe that looks to draw comparisons to the Trump campaign. It concludes that "racial anxiety" in a "weak state" may be a better explanation for the tolerance of certain viewpoints than the conventional wisdom that they are explained by economic conditions.

"Likely pure bs" and "buzzwords" are not fair refutation of a piece that cites extensively to academic analysis of relevant histories and demographic studies. I offer the piece not as endorsement of its conclusions but for discussion. The fact remains that there has been a remarkable rise of right-wing populism based, in part, on anti-immigrant policies in the West in the last few years. Here is a piece that attempts to place that rise in a historical and demographic context. I'm sure there is ample room for fair critical reaction.
Unfortunately, you wasted a lot of words and sense-making on someone whose post indicates that they have no interest in giving a cogent response.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)