Whitlock Article - Racist LeBron Vogue Cover? (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Would someone please write a handbook? "What Will and Won't Piss Black Folk Smooth the **** Off" would be an international bestseller.

I'm black, and I'm ****** off most of the time, but I wouldn't leave home without the handbook. Not in these racist-ly confusing times. I can barely keep up with when I'm supposed to be disappointed as opposed to offended as opposed to being ****** smooth the **** off.

Right now I need to know where this LeBron James-Gisele Bundchen-Vogue-cover controversy falls. And just who am I supposed to be mad at, LeBron, the photographer, the editors at Vogue or Tom Brady?

Maybe they're all to blame. Maybe that's the point of this whole mess. Or maybe they're just as bewildered as I am.

According to the allegations, King James looks like King Kong clutching Fay Wray on the latest cover of Vogue, and the image, according to potential handbook writers, "conjures up this idea of a dangerous black man." ...............

FOX Sports on MSN - NBA - Am I supposed to be mad about LeBron?

Attachments

• lebron.jpg
    lebron.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 359
What's wrong with a King Kong & Faye Wray allegory anyway? :idunno:

"Badder than ole King Kong
Meaner than a junkyard dog"
-JIm Croce

Good grief, Google News Search shows over 60 references to this "controversy."

If they're not careful, all the race pimps will accomplish is to make the appearance of a black person in advertising/print as rare as hen's teeth.

"Hey, we haven't had a black guy on the cover for a while, want to call up LeBron?"

"Oh, hell no. Remember last time? Let Ebony or Jet use black models, we'll stick with the ones who don't cause problems. What's Yao Ming up to these days?"

He is now known as Prince James thanks to King Paul.

^sounds like my religon is kicking in! And I'm still trying to find an even slightly racist issue with that cover, but just can't.

I am trying as hard as I can to find something wrong with that cover but I just can't do it. :idunno:

I read the title and tried my best to find anything offensive at all with it before I read the explanation. Apparently I'm a) very insensitive, b) a closet racist, c) I don't pay attention to detail or d) all of the above. :shrug:

one of the sports reporters on "Sports Reporters" the Sunday morning show did his final statement about this, he also made a statement about Jamarcus Russel cover some where that had him in a mink coat and a warm up suit - he said Jamarcus looked like a "Pimp on the way to the Gym" or something to that affect. - i guess he didnt see his outfit at the National Championship game

the issue with that cover was the expression of Lebron's face, like he has to be betrayed as a "animal" or "monster" - though i recall Dwayne wade had a cover of him in a suit and fedora, that wasnt mentioned.

he blamed the athlete for allowing themselves to be portrayed as these characters

In fairness this is one of those media only controversies. I have yet to hear one regular guy talking about it. Even in media circles it's only floating at the fringes although Today did talk about it this week for a few minutes.

Silly though, of course. The problem is it will end up on the list of things that "black people complain about" when 99.9% of black people don't know or care about this. There's a lot of stuff on that list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom