Whitlock Article - Racist LeBron Vogue Cover? (1 Viewer)

The cover and poses are stupid and don't fit the topic. That's all I see.

In all honesty, Lebron is very dangerous, with the ball in his hands! But not dangerous enough to beat CP3 and DW-30!

This should have ceased to be a surprise upon reading this tool's name. This guy could make a weather report belittle black people.

Last edited:
This should have ceased to be a surprise upon reading this tool's name. This guy could make a weather report belittle black people.

Actually, the whole point of his article is that the cover isn't racist, and that it's silly that people should get all out of shape about it when black people regularly perpetuate these stereotypes about themselves anyway, in movies like "Meet the Browns." He didn't accuse anyone of racism and said that black people ought to look at the ways they perpetuate stereotypes themselves rather than complaining about Vogue.

I'm black, and I'm ****** off most of the time,

Wha?!?!?

You're Optimus Prime. You're Red, White, and Blue. You're supposed to be the happiest guy on Cybertron.

My whole view on life has changed for the worse. I'm going to go hook up with Megs.

people will always use the race card, until we stop being affected by it.....

this isn't news, because it's always something....

everyone's racist, and no one is at the same time.....it doesn't make sense and it never will, all i've realized is that the people who make everything about race, THEY are the racist ones.....i don't let it affect my life, and you shouldn't eithier...

Look guys, As far as the Lebron Vogue cover goes, the guy is maybe one of the best emerging sport players on the planet, If he got a good offer to pose for this shoot and he feels fine with it, more power to him. I recently saw Chris Paul in a well respected bowling magazine and he was well pleased to be on its cover and be representing bowling at the same time because he loves it. He likes to bowl, in fact he is a fanatic, he even wants to join the USBC Tour once his career is over in the NBA. I do not see the big uproar over Lebron trying to expand his popularity. Hell he has earned it fair and square plus many times more

Last edited:
........................uh, ........................~seriously not sure what to say!~...........

Okay, just came in from an easy patrol (not getting many of those these days, for sure) and BAM another Drama Thread awaits. Yeah, I know that I can easily click over to the SSF or do more on some of these awards that i am running a little behind on...but, I am a realist - some of these threads are like the enquirer.

BTTT...In all seriousness, will somebody explain this to me? I have read Whitlock's article twice and skimmed this thread a few times. I feel like I missed the punchline in a joke. What is the big deal? Is it because there is a black man and a white lady on the cover together? Is it the pose? Stereotyping (black men in the NBA hooking up with white women)?

If someone can just answer that for me, maybe I can be a participant in the conversation. Is Whitlock responding to others that have made a big deal of this? If so, then that may help explain a few things, but I honestly cannot find a problem here.

Nevermind...

I just googled. I read the King Kong reference a couple of time, but did not get it...other than James is a black man. Just saw a blow-up of the cover and I see what some are saying.

Yeah, the boy looks like a manimal there. Very furocious-looking picture he took. Not sure why they did it...and even more not sure that it's wrong.

I don't know - - - It's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Maybe Lebron should have just taken a nice photo in a 3000 dollar suit. I wonder if this would have been a huge issue if not in the wake of the Rev Wright.

I will only pose a question and ask for serious, honest responses.

Does this picture make you look at Lebron or black people as descendents from said apes? Are black people right in immediately rebuking things like this? Blatant stuff, of course ( I rebuke the blatant as well)...but, things that may pass without someone "going there" with it, is what I am talking about.

50% relates to my Dad always telling me to not be that stereotype we were often painted

50% would have honestly walked right by that cover until another brother stopped me and said, "Hey man, did you see that sh*t vogue tried to pull on the cover?" Then, I would be back at the first 50% or stuck in the middle, like I am now.

...maybe we still have a long way to go...

Does this picture make you look at Lebron or black people as descendents from said apes?

no more ore less than white people, or asian people, or hispanic people, etc.....but then again, i beleive we all came from apes:9:

None cares. I would really like to know who specifically thinks the cover is rasict. I think this whole mess was started by a white guy who was offended by the cover. We all took a poll this morning and we all agree that NOONE CARES.

That is all!!

Actually, the whole point of his article is that the cover isn't racist, and that it's silly that people should get all out of shape about it when black people regularly perpetuate these stereotypes about themselves anyway, in movies like "Meet the Browns." He didn't accuse anyone of racism and said that black people ought to look at the ways they perpetuate stereotypes themselves rather than complaining about Vogue.

Did he reference "meet the browns" in his article? I didnt read it and dont want to.

I don't see what the fuss is about either. The facial expression on Lebron's face doesn't tell me anything...:idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom