Who’s making gumbo? (1 Viewer)

None, zero smoked sausage up here where I moved to in Connecticut. I’m about to have some shipped up to me. No gumbo or jambalaya until further notice...

I’m bringing Louisiana all the way to Scotland today. My first ever attempt at making chicken gumbo today! Been looking at the recipies on here and decided to give it a go.

A place in the super bowl for the saints and a successful chicken gumbo is the preferred outcome for today!!

This is the video my cousin suggested I watch

I’m bringing Louisiana all the way to Scotland today. My first ever attempt at making chicken gumbo today! Been looking at the recipies on here and decided to give it a go.

A place in the super bowl for the saints and a successful chicken gumbo is the preferred outcome for today!!
Good luck, Saint in Scotland! Making the roux always seems to take me longer than it's supposed to. I must've been stirring mine for almost 30 minutes last week. Then I have the usual thoughts, "This is why I don't make it more than once a year!" :giggle:

It seems clear this is the game to unleash the gumbo.

Was up at 6 this morning to start making chicken stock. Chicken and andouille gumbo. It will take all day to make. And I may sneak in some shrimp, for extra points. Gives me something to do besides scoring touchdowns in my head.

Note: Took advice below and picked up some lamb for the pot.
Pro Tip: A crock pot is a great way to make chicken stock. Sometimes I use the carcass from rotisserie chickens bought from Costco and some wings.

Good luck, Saint in Scotland! Making the roux always seems to take me longer than it's supposed to. I must've been stirring mine for almost 30 minutes last week. Then I have the usual thoughts, "This is why I don't make it more than once a year!" :giggle:

Usually takes about 1 1/2 hours. Depending on how high your heat is.

Most important rule: don't stop stirring!!
2nd most important rule: don't get any hot roux on your skin. (it aint called cajun napalm for nothing!)

It seems clear this is the game to unleash the gumbo.

Was up at 6 this morning to start making chicken stock. Chicken and andouille gumbo. It will take all day to make. And I may sneak in some shrimp, for extra points. Gives me something to do besides scoring touchdowns in my head.

Note: Took advice below and picked up some lamb for the pot.
Lamb chop Gumbo

I make stock and roux in the oven. With the precise temperature and even heat it turns out perfect. I get the maximum collagen extraction with the stock and an even dark roux.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom