Who’s making gumbo? (2 Viewers)

Definitely! When I use andouille, only Richards will do. For a very nice change up, the hickory smoked goodness of smoked Conecuh seeps deep into the broth, while the sausage itself provides spicy morsels of flavor and a bit of heat.

1547913837200.png
I haven't had Conecuh sausage yet but have heard good things about it..
Don't downvote me but I have used the Hillshire andouille sausage and it was pretty good. Lots of good spice and it is just consistent. Richards andouille is also very good and consistent. I have stayed with consistency because one time a sausage is good and the next not so good.

When ever I make C&S gumbo it is a 2 day event..People make fun but they shut up when they taste it.

Mine is usually a two-day deal, also. Stock one day. Gumbo the next. Today it will just be a long day. So maybe tomorrow won’t be a long afternoon.

Definitely! When I use andouille, only Richards will do. For a very nice change up, the hickory smoked goodness of smoked Conecuh seeps deep into the broth, while the sausage itself provides spicy morsels of flavor and a bit of heat.

1547913837200.png
I like grilling this a lot. I use D&D smokes in the gumbo, gives it that nice Smokey flavor along with the taso and roux from scratch.

We had CS gumbo last week and froze the leftovers will re-heat for game tomorrow. For me leftover gumbo is better than the first time we have it.

C&S most definitely. Cold weather would dictate that. Idiot Ram player comment only guarantees it. Savoie's hot pork sausage. If I run out (closest is Rouses in Slidell) I use "Country Pleasin'" andouille (made in Richland, south of Jackson) and it actually isn't that bad.

Y’all leave Gumbo alone ?

Attachments

• 6233E6A9-C4DC-4084-9276-5E067D811616.jpeg
    6233E6A9-C4DC-4084-9276-5E067D811616.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
Dozen friends comin over tomorrow. Big pot o' turkey gumbo for the game. Gotta represent Louisiana here in Utah.

Had to dig the smoker outta the snow this morning but the bird's cookin now.

Mutton Gumbo aka Marcus Peters Gumbo
If possible use Mutton (castrated Ram) Otherwise substitute Lamb
  • 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
  • 5 cups (about 2.5 pounds) of Mutton or lamb shoulder, fat trimmed and cut into large bite-sized pieces
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 12 oz Italian sausage (classic Andouille will also work, but it will be spicier), sliced into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped roughly
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped roughly
  • 3 stalks of celery, chopped roughly
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 10 cups of lamb (or beef) stock
  • 6-8 sprigs of thyme, plus more for garnish
  • 8-10 sage leaves
  • 2 fresh bay leaves (or 3 dried)
  • 1 tablespoon of paprika
  • ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
  • ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoons of kosher salt, plus more to taste
  • 1 ½ teaspoons of fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup of canola oil or lard
  • 2 cups of okra (about 10 ounces frozen), chopped into bite size pieces
  • Cooked white long-grain rice
  • Louisiana hot sauce, for garnish (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Gently pat the lamb shoulder dry and season with salt and pepper to taste. Brown lamb pieces in the skillet until golden on all sides, taking care not to cook the meat all the way through. Remove with tongs and set aside.
  2. Working in batches, brown andouille sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic, making sure not to overcrowd the skillet. If you notice the bottom of the skillet getting dry, add more oil. Set aside with the meat once andouille is slightly browned on the edges and the vegetables are tender.
  3. Transfer lamb, andouille sausage, bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic to a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add lamb (or beef) stock and cook over low heat.
  4. Tie together the thyme and sage leaves with kitchen twine. Add to the pot along with bay leaves, paprika, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover pot with a tight fitting lid and cook over low heat 1 hour, making sure it does not come to a boil. If it begins to boil, reduce heat. Add okra, return the lid to the pot, and continue cooking for another 1 hour.
  5. In a large heavy-bottomed skillet (ideally, 12-inches or larger), combine the flour and oil to make a roux. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until roux turns a light brown color, about 30-35 minutes. The ideal shade of brown for this roux is just a few shades lighter than caramel, but this is flexible so don’t worry if your roux gets too dark. The most important thing is not to let it burn, so stir constantly and keep the heat at medium-low. If you notice it beginning to burn, reduce heat. Once your roux reaches the desired shade, remove from heat and set aside.
  6. Once lamb is cooked through and tender, add the roux, a little bit at a time, to the pot. If your roux has sat for some time and begun to separate, stir it gently to reincorporate before adding to the stew. Roux is a thickening agent in gumbo making so you can add all of it for a thicker gumbo or just a little bit for a brothier gumbo. I prefer my gumbo thick, so I add all of it. Taste test the gumbo and adjust seasonings if necessary. Continue cooking, uncovered, over very low heat until you are ready to serve.
  7. Remove the thyme and sage bundle and the bay leaves from the gumbo and discard. Ladle gumbo into soup bowls along with a scoop of rice and garnish with fresh thyme and Louisiana hot sauce (if desired).
LambSausageGumboRecipe-11.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom