Who’s the greatest GM in Saints’ history? (1 Viewer)

Best Saints GM in franchise history?

• Total voters
I love that Kuharich didn't even rank a poll slot. :hihi:

The answer is Loomis and it isn't really all that close. I think we all appreciated Finks, because he was at least a grown up and professional, but he was far from outstanding in the role. Bum Phillips arguably drafted better and Finks mismanaged Plan B, the leagues first foray into free agency.

Last edited:
Only been watching since Loomis has been GM. He’s been very creative with the cap, though it has gotten us in trouble at one point. Byrd.. cough, cough.. Seems to be as good as any, though. But since Ireland’s arrival, everything has gone uphill. From scouting to just making better personnel choices in general. I hope we never lose that guy.

Really?

Mickey Loomis.

The others have had great moments.......but let me list you Loomis’ top 3.

1.Super Bowl
2. Bringing the greatest head coach ever into the city.......a city that was demolished. That wasn’t easy.
3. Bringing in Drew Brees. Possibly the greatest QB to ever play the game per stats....been here 13 seasons and still going, Super Bowl, 1st ballot HOF.......to a trash heap organization in 2006.

Name the top 3 for the others and see how they compare.

Here’s another question.....name the greatest Chicago Bull.
A. Jordan
B. Pippen
C. Cartwright
D. Kerr

I included Ireland because I consider him the de facto GM since Loomis isn’t a scout/personnel type of GM. I didn’t include anyone pre-Finks because . . . well, look at the records.

No Dick Gordon on the list? 🤣

True I wasn’t alive then, but I’ve done some reading on that chapter in team history!

It’s Loomis, with a decent-enough silver medal to Mueller.

Even if Loomis didn’t have a Super Bowl ring, our greatest era of football has been with him (obviously two little people named Payton and Brees help). This is a no brainer.

Tough question. Loomis hired Payton and allowed him to do his thing. The irony with this question is that Loomis is not a strong, hands-on general manager. He has allowed Payton to act as the de facto general manager. But there is something to be said for an organization executive who hires good people and lets them do their job.

Finks is a great name in the history of professional football who nearly became commissioner and is in Canton. I would say that Jim Finks, who was not general manager for nearly as long as Loomis because of lung cancer, was the greatest executive the Saints ever had, but that Loomis had the greatest impact on the team. And if Loomis as the guy in charge gets major points for a Super Bowl, and he should, he loses points for Bountygate: they both happened on his watch.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom