Who’s your GOAT of all GOATS? (1 Viewer)

SigFreudianSlip

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Quarantine boredom sent me down memory lane watching the athlete that imo is the GOAT of all GOATS.
Michael Jordan.
Elite leader, refuses to lose, check.
Elite defender, check.
Tenacious fiery with an iron will, check.
Elevates players around him, check.
To me, the most important of all, the epitome of clutch. There is literally no other athlete on this planet that is as clutch as 23.

Going a step further I’m going to build my team, and I’m only going to do one per position. 1-5. I’m not going for cohesion, just who I think is the best at their position to ever play the game.

1: Magic Johnson. Loathed him and his team but the man could ball.

2. Michael Jordan. There aren’t enough superlatives to be able to adequately describe this player imo.

3. Kobe Bryant. (Barely over LeBron) Loathed him and his team but respected the hell out of his game. To me he’s the second most dynamic playmaker to ever play in the NBA. RIP Mamba, and baby Mamba.

4. Kevin Garnett. This is a personal fandom pick. Loved the way he played the game, and molded my game directly after KG. Mean, nasty, tenacious and very physical. Played with a passion that was infectious and enthralling to watch. I’d go to war with KG.

5. Shaq Diesel. Watching this man among boys, destroying rims and opposing players, was exhilarating. A true force of nature.

Coach. Phil Jackson. Triangle offense, like 36 titles. Nuff said.

Who’s your GOAT ladies and gents, and who’s your 5? The reason I spent hours upon hours of practicing alone, rain or shine. Trying to be like Mike.

I was unable to ever fly like Mike but I did fly and had the tongue out in honor of Mike every game, without even realizing. Was able to attain the nickname White Chocolate and made traveling all star squads but that’s as far as I could carry my love, my flame. Tumor surgery took some of my twitch and I wasn’t the same. Such is life. ?

Without further ado, the GOAT of all GOATS.

Bill Russell - Off Court and on court. Not sure anyone, taking into account both, even comes close.

I almost chose him. Just before my time. Knew about his on court abilities did not know he’s viewed as a great man. That’s very cool.
If my criteria included off court/field/ice it wouldn’t be MJ for me. It would be Drew.

I almost chose him. Just before my time. Knew about his on court abilities did not know he’s viewed as a great man. That’s very cool.
If my criteria included off court/field/ice it wouldn’t be MJ for me. It would be Drew.

He deserves Top 5 all time, just for on the court imo. Without question.

But to risk his life by traveling to Mississippi in 1963, after Medgar Evers was shot, to put on an inter-racial basketball camp? That's legend.

The bullet ricocheted into Evers’ home and he staggered some 30 feet before collapsing in front of the house. An hour later he was pronounced dead, becoming the first major civil rights leader to be assassinated.

And far away from the madness of Jackson, Boston center Bill Russell, who recently had led the Celtics to their fifth straight NBA championship and had won his third-consecutive MVP award, heard the news, felt the rising bile of pain, and the anger, and knew he had to go to Jackson, knew he had to do something, anything, to keep alive Evers’ fight for freedom.

“He called me up and asked me what he could do to help,” recalled Charles Evers, Medgar’s older brother, speaking by telephone from Jackson last week.

“Get down here,” Evers told Russell, “and we’ll open one of the playgrounds and we’ll have the first integrated basketball camp in Mississippi.”

Evers knew he was asking a lot. He was asking Russell, one of the country’s most prominent African-Americans, to risk his life, to teach basketball to kids — black and white — in the racial tinder box that was Jackson.

And he's talked about enduring the racism in Boston throughout his career.

His HOF teammate, Bob Cousy, recently wrote, in a reflection, about how he wished he had done more to help Russell, in this NPR podcast.

Bill Russell is an idol. "An" - not just "my". Yours. All of ours.

Kobe over LeBron and Garnett over Duncan are disastrous choices.

Steph Curry is also the best point guard to ever play. I'm sure a lot of old-timers will disagree, but I am right.

Yes, to KG. That was personal for me.
I cannot stand Steph Curry and luckily I’m not wrong in saying he isn’t the best 1 of all time.

Also the center position is really tough. Because there are guys today that aren't really considered centers that could have played center in any era. And then you've got "power forward" that basically played center.

IMO Giannis is the best "center-like" player ever to play the game, but he's not listed as a center. If we have to go with an actual player listed as a center, I'm with you on Shaq.

Yes, to KG. That was personal for me.
I cannot stand Steph Curry and luckily I’m not wrong in saying he isn’t the best 1 of all time.

Yeah you fairly said you were making a personal choice with KG. And I'm a Spurs fan, so obviously I'm biased. But like 95% of the basketball world would take Duncan, I think.

Yeah you fairly said you were making a personal choice with KG. And I'm a Spurs fan, so obviously I'm biased. But like 95% of the basketball world would take Duncan, I think.

Totally agree. He’s phenomenal. Actually tops the list I’ve looked at for best of all time at his position.

I'm not a huge fan of the NBA, but I will give it a try.

Team: The Lakers. Just because living in California over the years, but not a fan.

Shaq, because he is hilarious. (Center)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, because legends get respect. (Hybrid Guard)
Dennis Rodman, total psychological warfare against opposing teams. (Forward)
Michael Jordan: Air-Jordan (Guard)
Karl Malone: Google search has him ranked second all time. (Forward)

Paula Abdul: Head of the cheerleading squad.

John Wooden as coach, just like his style.

Not very knowledgeable about basketball, but was watching The Professor's channel for a few days a while back.

I'm not a huge fan of the NBA, but I will give it a try.

Team: The Lakers. Just because living in California over the years, but not a fan.

Shaq, because he is hilarious. (Center)
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, because legends get respect. (Hybrid Guard)
Dennis Rodman, total psychological warfare against opposing teams. (Forward)
Michael Jordan: Air-Jordan (Guard)
Karl Malone: Google search has him ranked second all time. (Forward)

Paula Abdul: Head of the cheerleading squad.

John Wooden as coach, just like his style.

Not very knowledgeable about basketball, but was watching The Professor's channel for a few days a while back.

Can’t argue with that list. That’s a great squad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom