Who are the Saints free agents this offseason? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Does anyone have a list?

The way I see it is Jahri Evans (the biggest must re-sign), Jammal Brown, Anthony Hargrove, Mike Bell, Darren Sharper, Roman Harper, and Lance Moore.

That is a staggering list. I'm not positive on Hargrove and Bell, but I'm assuming that they only signed one year deals (although it would be great if they signed 2 year deals, bc they will be costly). Charles Grant will clearly be gone to save cap room. And I personally don't think we can bring Bush back at his cap number, being that Bell is clearly more valuable than him right now.

I also see Harper not being re-signed. Malcolm Jenkins needs to be a starter next season, and as I said 6 months ago, he'll be a safety in the NFL. Plus, Harper showed again yesterday that he struggles in coverage.

Hargrove needs to be re-signed, assuming that he keeps clean and stays on the right track. He's one of our best players on defense.

Moore is a good player, but is down the priority list considering the talent we have at WR.

Brown, a lot will depend on how Bushrod plays the next few weeks. He's behind Evans on the priority list, especially with his injury history.

Sharper, hopefully we can get him for a decent price tag again. His intangibles mean a lot obviously, and he can still play. But if he gets overpaid, we do have Usama behind him. I would think that he'll be back though.

Evans should get the franchise tag, if he can't be re-signed before that.

Again, this is a staggering list, if it is all true. That's why I'm trying to confirm it. I really think Bush will need to take a paycut, or he'll be gone. Bell will simply need to be brought back.

if next year is an uncapped year, then I think most of those guys will be restricted free agents

I also see Harper not being re-signed. Malcolm Jenkins needs to be a starter next season, and as I said 6 months ago, he'll be a safety in the NFL. Plus, Harper showed again yesterday that he struggles in coverage.

Just wanted to point out that Harper is an SS and Jenkins projects as an FS. Jenkins potential to play FS will have little to nothing to do with whether Harper is retained or not. The key would be how they feel about Chip Vaughn to take over as a starter in his place, and given that he hasn't (and won't) play a down this season I have to think they'll bring Harper back.

Brown and Evans are 2 huge must resigns

everyone outside of that list I wouldn't overspend to much on.

I'd love to have sharper back, but if not thats where we put jenkins.

I completely forgot about Walterfootball.com's list.

Here are our 2010 FAs:

QB Mark Brunell
RB Pierre Thomas (RFA)
RB Mike Bell
WR Lance Moore
TE Billy Miller
TE David Thomas
TE Dan Campbell
RT Zack Strief
LT Jermon Bushrod (RFA)
RG Jahri Evans
C Nick Leckey
NT Kendrick Clancy
SLB Scott Fujita
MLB Marvin Mitchell (RFA)
FS Usama Young (RFA)
SS Roman Harper
FS Darren Sharper
K Garrett Hartley (RFA)

So quite a few. Not sure where everyone gets that Jammal Brown is a FA; according to this list, he's under contract until 2012.

Also, I believe a lot of these will change to RFAs if there is no cap.

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractsno.php

EDIT: Some of it is a little out of date (Rod Coleman is on there and Remi Ayodele is missing), but the contract years are correct.

Just wanted to point out that Harper is an SS and Jenkins projects as an FS. Jenkins potential to play FS will have little to nothing to do with whether Harper is retained or not. The key would be how they feel about Chip Vaughn to take over as a starter in his place, and given that he hasn't (and won't) play a down this season I have to think they'll bring Harper back.

Jenkins can do either. He's a great tackler, as we saw yesterday. Playing strong safety for a year or two next to Sharper would be a great way for him to transition to eventually being the signal caller on defense.

If he keeps it up, Mike Bell is going to get a serious pay raise. I'm not sure about Harper not being re-signed. He probably will be. I think Jenkins is being tutored to be the next free safety after Sharper. With Greer and Porter at the corners, it would make sense.

Here are our 2010 FAs:

QB Mark Brunell
RB Pierre Thomas (RFA)
RB Mike Bell
WR Lance Moore
TE Billy Miller
TE David Thomas
TE Dan Campbell
RT Zack Strief
LT Jermon Bushrod (RFA)
RG Jahri Evans
C Nick Leckey
NT Kendrick Clancy
SLB Scott Fujita
FS Usama Young (RFA)
SS Roman Harper
FS Darren Sharper
K Garrett Hartley (RFA)

So quite a few. Not sure where everyone gets that Jammal Brown is a FA; according to this list, he's under contract until 2012.

EDIT: Some of it is a little out of date (Rod Coleman is on there and Remi Ayodele is missing), but the contract years are correct.

Wow, I totally forgot about Clancy and Fujita. 2 other guys that we will need to replace, if they aren't brought back.

Brown's contract will void after this season. He's in his 5th year, and that's when 1st round picks become free agents.

What about Hargrove?

Here are our 2010 FAs:

QB Mark Brunell
RB Pierre Thomas (RFA)
RB Mike Bell
WR Lance Moore
TE Billy Miller
TE David Thomas
TE Dan Campbell
RT Zack Strief
LT Jermon Bushrod (RFA)
RG Jahri Evans
C Nick Leckey
NT Kendrick Clancy
SLB Scott Fujita
FS Usama Young (RFA)
SS Roman Harper
FS Darren Sharper
K Garrett Hartley (RFA)

IIRC, Brown has an option in his contract that lets him option out of the contract after this year. Given what his value on the open market could be, I suspect he will exercise the option and become a FA. If Bushrod continues to play as well as he has, or gets better, I could see the possibility of letting Brown go. He's a good LT, but Bushrod has played well and the money you would spend on a guy like Brown could be used to sign a lot of the other guys on that list.

I'd start on Evans' new deal now after watching him blast holes open for Bell the last 2 weeks. what a monster.
Fujita, Clancy, Sharper should get 2-3 year deals
I think they will hang onto David Thomas too.
Harper's performance this year would help me decide what to do with him.
Others I'd retain:
Strief (RT or LT, he's a solid backup that has quick feet for a 6'8", 345 lb sasquatch)
Mike Bell (obviously)

Wow, I totally forgot about Clancy and Fujita. 2 other guys that we will need to replace, if they aren't brought back.

Brown's contract will void after this season. He's in his 5th year, and that's when 1st round picks become free agents.

What about Hargrove?

The Saints have been signing most of their lower level FA's to 2 year contracts so I suspect Hargrove signed a two year deal this off season.

I dont think Brown is a must sign. I would love to have him back, but in recent history left tackles command huge money on the free agent market. Plus Bushrod has done a decent job. Evans in my opinion must stay, he is young and proven.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom