Who are your top 10 (that's right TEN) Saints QB's? (1 Viewer)

On the topic of Brooks:

Brooks biggest problem was simply Mike McCarthy. I was never a fan of McCarthy. When he had installed simple schemes with some wrinkles, he was a good OC. The offense was gelling, Blake was developing a more consistent short/intermediate game and more "touch" on his passes with getting the ball over the 1st and 2nd levels instead of rocketing it on a rope THROUGH them. When Blake went down, Brooks stepped in and there was a lot of broken plays and improv in the offense. Brooks had a lot of success with Willie Jackson on busted plays, playing a LOT of street ball. Brooks and WJ were both very athletic and made a lot of "something out of nothing". BUT, there is a reason WJ had a 1000 yd season and then disappeared in the NFL. He was not a good route running WR, but had great natural ability to get open on broken plays and made some circus catches, along with Brooks doing a lot of the same. Brooks DID still do a decent job coming in from being a backup and running a simplified O, which had good concepts and design. After that season, McCarthy started believing he was the second coming of Bill Walsh.

I have some insight with more than a few players I have known on a few eras of Saints' squads from early 90s up until Payton. McCarthy didn't utilize personnel strengths and thought his SYSTEM was flawless if just EXECUTED properly. The company line towed by all the offensive players when something didn't go well was, "we just have to execute better". If they spoke out, they were not going to play. How many times did you see our top producers like Deuce and Horn make plays on calls that shouldn't have converted a 1st down. 3rd and 12...draw play and that damn naked screen. McCarthy kept installing and adding more and more verbage through the years. Remember the failed "no FB...2 TE" offense. It was installed in offseason and finally scrapped by week 5/6. He tried to make Brooks a pocket passer. He didn't do much to get Brooks into a comfortable situation to manage the flow of the game, utilize his skills and progress. At one point, his verbage was so long that they didn't even have enough time to get the plays called in the huddle. In mid season, they watered down the verbage. Always tweaking, changing things and knee jerking as a coordinator. Haz wasn't much help, he wanted to be the players' FRIEND more than a head coach.

Brooks had good numbers and I will agree that they took a lot of shots downfield...at least they put that into the game plan to try to utilize his arm. I will take WINS or over STATS everyday of the week and McCarthy singlehanded kept Brooks from being able to fully get comfortable and develop. McCarthy was/is a very hardheaded OC/HC and most of his success has come from overachieving personnel.

We should have won a lot more games with the talent on those Haslett rosters. Brooks was not my favorite QB, but he had a LOT going against him after that first season in McCarthy.

One of the reasons we didn't achieve more in the Mora era was Carl Smith. Ditka's blind/unwavering loyalty to Abramowicz surely didn't help the offense in his tenure, either...he made Carl Smith seem like a genius.

Last edited:
I really don't understand what ya'll see in Brooks.šŸ˜¶
He could be the greatest Saints QB ever and the worst QB ever, all in the same game. Phenomenally gifted athlete, not so much with the mental aspect. But when he was on, he gave the team every chance to win.

From wikipedia: In the playoffs, the Saints defeated the Rams, 31ā€“28. The Saints were without their starting running back, Ricky Williams, and lost their best receiver, Joe Horn, early in the game. Brooks threw four touchdown passes to lead the Saints to their first playoff win in franchise history, becoming the first QB in NFL history to eliminate the defending Super Bowl champions in his first career postseason start.

I really don't understand what ya'll see in Brooks.šŸ˜¶
I really don't understand what you don't see in Brooks. :oops:

I'm more surprised by the people with Delhomme on the list. Teddy and Taysom have done more as Saints QBs than Delhomme.

1. Brees
2. Manning
3. Hebert
4. Brooks
5, Everett
6. Blake
7. Dave Wilson
8. Collins
9. Stabler
10. Billy Joes

I remember Todd being terrible but watching old games on YouTube he was just awful. And to think Bum traded a # 1 pick to get him

Brees
Brooks
Cajun Cannon
Teddy
Taysom
Chris Everett

Manning is an urban legend on a bad team. As has been said,
Brees
Brooks
Manning
Hebert
the rest don't really matter
Manning actually had some talent to work with not much but he had some:

Danny A.
Jake Kupp
John Hill
Tony G
Muncie
Wes Chandler
Childs
Nasty Boy Dobler

On D:
Tommy Myers
Federspiel
Merlo
Grooms
Derlande Moore

Ok your right its not much at all.

Last edited:
I agree with all that except I think choke artist is unfair with Hebert. First and foremost, he didnā€™t have a coach that would give him many chances to win a game. Add that he rarely had tea weapons on the outside and the fact that nothing you can do is going to get you past the original West Coast offense when you riding the leg of your field goal kicker.
I like Hebert as an ok QB, but he actually had a really good OLIne, Dalton Hilliard , and Eric Martin.

Last edited:
1. Some guy who wore 9
2. Bobby Hebert - 4 trips to the post season
3. Aaron Brooks - In his first 3 1/4 years as the starter, his stats were on par with Peyton Manning
4. Jeff Blake - won 8 games and played great, Hasslet biggest mistake was not sticking with him
5. Jim Everett - two solid years on saints team that was in decline after Jim Finks passed
6. Archie Manning - Only saw him play in 4 games, i don't have the love afare with him others do. Good player on some terrible teams.
7. Kerry Collins - If it hadn't had been for Ditka, he might have had a successful career in NOLA.
8. Teddy Bridgewater - didn't have to do a lot with a good defense and running game
9. Taysom Hill - Would have gone 4-0 had saints D taken Jalen Hurst seriously
10. John Fourcade - Go Gang Green

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom