Who belongs in the National Championship game.... (2 Viewers)

Face it; this is just an odd year. The two best teams in the nation, without dispute, happen to be in the same conference. So, do you want a game with the top team and the next-best team that happened to win their conference, or simply pick the true #2 team in the country? USC and Notre Dame are both overrated, IMO, but whoever wins their matchup will have the inside track to the BCS championship, unfortunately. If it's not Michigan in a rematch, I'd rather see the SEC champion go in as #2 -- the SEC is such a tough conference, whoever comes out as the conference champ should give OSU a good game. Florida is our best shot for that at this point, if the USC/ND winner doesn't overtake them....:no:

Face it; this is just an odd year. The two best teams in the nation, without dispute, happen to be in the same conference. So, do you want a game with the top team and the next-best team that happened to win their conference

Yes. I do. Ohio St. already beat Michigan. Period. No mulligans. Michigan had their shot. They lost it. Fair is fair. If Michigan wanted a National Title, they should have won today. I understand Michigan may be the second best team in the nation. And if OSU plays, say, Florida, beats Florida, and #3 Michigan plays say, USC, and beats USC. Guess what? Michigan ends up #2 overall, below Ohio St. who beat them.

That's fair.

Michigan had their shot. They lost. That's the end of it.

USC should be in it if they win out.
Next, the SEC Champion should be in it if they win out.
Next, Rutgers should be in it if they win out.

After that, I'm not so sure.
I don;t think Michigan should go because they aren;t a conference champ AND they lost to the conference champ (meaning, I can envision a scenario where a team doesn;t win their cnference but has beaten the conference champ and has only 1 loss).

USC should be in it if they win out.
Next, the SEC Champion should be in it if they win out.
Next, Rutgers should be in it if they win out.

Yeah I can buy that. I think Florida is better then USC but you couldn't justify Arkansas going over USC even if Arkansas wins out considering USC shelled them earlier in the season. Rutgers I don't think will survive. They're losing pretty bad now and even if they come back I don't see them getting past WVU. Rutgers is legitimately good but not undefeated good.

Just thought of this:

Suppose Wake Forest wins out and wins the ACC title game - should they be in consideration? They only have one loss - to Clemson, and if you saw that game you know that Wake outplayed Clemson for 3.25 quarters.

Just thought of this:

Suppose Wake Forest wins out and wins the ACC title game - should they be in consideration? They only have one loss - to Clemson, and if you saw that game you know that Wake outplayed Clemson for 3.25 quarters.

ACC is really weak this year. Worse then the Big East. You can't hold the Big East against Rutgers and the reward Wake Forest for the ACC. They have only beaten 1 ranked team #16 BC.

Besides, they're getting blown out by VTech right now, 24-6 going into the 4th.

Yeah I can buy that. I think Florida is better then USC but you couldn't justify Arkansas going over USC even if Arkansas wins out considering USC shelled them earlier in the season. Rutgers I don't think will survive. They're losing pretty bad now and even if they come back I don't see them getting past WVU. Rutgers is legitimately good but not undefeated good.

I know what you are saying about Florida.
If they come out and look impressive against Florida St. and Arkansas then they have a strong case.

USC is going to have a hard time tonight - that is clear.

LAst time I turned to the Wake game it was 7-3 or something. Now it is 24-6.

Yes. I do. Ohio St. already beat Michigan. Period. No mulligans. Michigan had their shot. They lost it. Fair is fair. If Michigan wanted a National Title, they should have won today. I understand Michigan may be the second best team in the nation. And if OSU plays, say, Florida, beats Florida, and #3 Michigan plays say, USC, and beats USC. Guess what? Michigan ends up #2 overall, below Ohio St. who beat them.

That's fair.

Michigan had their shot. They lost. That's the end of it.
You couldn't be more right.

The way Rutgers has played tonight, they cearly shouldn't be in the National Championship game. And USC has been pretty bad also.

I say it comes down to Florida and Arkansas, but I'm sure they'll give it to Notre Dame if they win out.

I'd have no problem with a Florida/OSU game, but IMO an OSU/USC or Notre Dame NC game would be boring....both of those teams are so painfully overrated, it makes me ill. I guess that's why I'm a little intrigued by a rematch....I'd rather see that than either USC or Notre Dame go to the NC game.

I just need to hope for a USC loss tonight, followed by them beating ND next week, and for Florida to win out in an impressive fashion. But, as we've seen, anything can happen!

It's amazing to me how simply winning can allow a team to keep hold of their rankings. I've seen so many teams that are more impressive in a loss than a higher ranked team has been in a win. I would love to see NO RANKINGS from ANYONE until at least the 4th week of the season, so that we can see a more accurate picture of what the true rankings should be, rather than projected rankings at the beginning of the year. This early ranking creates an artificial and usually inaccurate picture of the strength of the conferences, IMO.

Playoff system, please....that's what would make soooo many of us happy.

Florida has been the least impressive of the one loss teams IMO.
Based on impressiveness of wins USC looks good - blowouts over Arkansas, Nebraska and Oregon.
Arkansas and/or Michigan are next impressive in their victories IMO. Arkansas blowing out Auburn and Tennessee, Michigan blowing out Notre Dame and Wisconsin.
Florida hasn;t been impressive at all. You watch them and you get the feeling they shouldn;t be winning - but they do, they get the job done, and that is all that matters I guess.

To say that since Michigan just lost a game (against the #1 team by only 3pts), that they "had their chance" and that another 1 loss team should automatically leapfrog them into the National Championship game is just absurd. If Michigan's BCS ranking holds off for the rest of the year, they should be in...end of story. Just because the two teams already played doesn't mean anything as far as who should play for the National Championship. I however think that if USC runs the table, they easily get boosted over Michigan (after the Notre Dame game though)

You know the team that gets no respect? Wisconsin. Their only loss on the season was against Michigan. Yet they are ranked 12th? I am not too sure how this stupid BCS thing works, but I firmly believe its broken.

You know the team that gets no respect? Wisconsin. Their only loss on the season was against Michigan. Yet they are ranked 12th? I am not too sure how this stupid BCS thing works, but I firmly believe its broken.

Michigan was their only ranked opponent...thats why. They're also ranked 9th in the BCS at the start of this week, for not winning against a single ranked team, thats not too bad imho.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom