Who contains Vick this time? (1 Viewer)

st. jon's

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Roman Harper (man, the secondary has gone to hell without this guy) won't be around to contain Vick this time. So who's going to be assigned on MV this weekend?

They really need to keep pressure on #7 at all times just like in New Orleans. We might want to blitz more, but keep an eye on #7's pacifier, Crumpler. Crump has always hurt the Saints. Hell, how do we stop him, too?

That is the million $ question. Maybe they play with one less LB and add a safety to spy him?

Shanle and Will Smith play a big part in his containment this game. Fujita mans Crumpler most of the time, maybe with help sometimes.

We should bring back Martin Chase, drop him in coverage on every play, spying Michael Vick. We have to win this game and he would single-handedly transform this defense into a force to be reckoned with

Who knows, maybe we will see a 3-4 look from Gibbs and have the 2nd MLB QB spy him. Whatever we do, I trust it will work.

IMO, Vick will be desperate to take the offense on his back and will "lay it all on the line" for a win. I think he will be more reckless in his running than he has been so far this season (less sliding). Whoever the spy is, the Saints defense needs to play very physical in this game.

I think MV will be pressing too hard this week. All the negative pub along with him trying to do his rendition of AB. I think he will at first try to show everyone that he can be a passing QB and with our secondary he just might especially if our defensive line continues to play like it has the last 4 weeks. If however, we are able to stop him from doing well passing the ball then I think he will try to take the game over by running the ball to show everyone that he is still a threat to run. With Harper gone and Ninkovich gone we are lacking some speed on defense remember the two long runs to the outside against the Steelers? This is going to be a tougher game for us than some people think. I just hope we win.

I think MV will be pressing too hard this week. If however, we are able to stop him from doing well passing the ball then I think he will try to take the game over by running the ball to show everyone that he is still a threat to run.

Saint's D needs to put extra "hot sauce" on Vick tackles!

For what it's worth, since ATL rarely runs shotgun it'd be my opinion that the
Dime defense (6 DB's) isn't gonna be part of the Saints defensive gameplan,
there4 ya run Nickel (5 DB's) and have that 5th DB as the "spy".. What would be
nice would be to throw J-Bel back at SS and bring up Omar as the #5, he could
not only spy Vick but bring run support as well.. J-Bel is a proven vet that while
may not be as speedy as Omar "could" make the calls for the secondary that has
been sorely missed since the departure of Roman Harper.. would seem like a win
win for the Saints.. Just my .02

NWSaint.

I miss Harper. IMO, this disscussion is almost a non issue if Harper is healthy. I think NWSaints has it as close as can be. I don't really trust Omar to always be in position (I know it's hard to always be in position against MV), but it would be the needed speed to at least disrupt MV's rythm.

Do we send Omar in on just about every play and disrupt MV's rythm or do we let him blitz about 50% of the time? The blitz can be great until you get burnt. I'm not to convinced that getting MV in running situations is the answer. I think we should let him pass as much as possible as we know that MV isn't doing to well in that category.

I miss Harper. IMO, this disscussion is almost a non issue if Harper is healthy. I think NWSaint has it as close as can be.

Do we send Omar in on just about every play and disrupt MV's rythm ? or do we let him blitz about 50% of the time? The blitz can be great until you get burnt.

IMO.. what would be nice would be to have Omar "float" on the side where
Crumpler is not.. this is huge, Crumpler one on one with an LB is one thing..
Crumpler one on one with Omar would be nightmare quality.. Leaving Omar
to freelance untouched would be the perfect way to contain Vick.. You take
out Omar in the nickel and Vick will have a field day.. So maybe have him
"float" either directly behind the LB's or have him play up towards the line
in the conventional nickel slot, but never going down the field, just kinda
staying at home making sure Vick doesn't get the urge to take off.. And as
far as blitzing him goes, shoot, all it would take would be just one little juke
move from Vick and Omar grabs air, so no, no blitzing by Omar, let the LB's
handle that.. The key (once again) is just to make sure that Omar is freed up
so he can "spy".. keep him away from the TE and no blitzing , that's how i'd
do it.. the ability to move freely is an awesome tool in containment.

NWSaint.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom