Who Dat History: The 1987 Season (1 Viewer)

saintsfan26

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Who Dat History: The 1987 Season - Prologue - Canal Street Chronicles
If you are a Saints fan over 35 years old, just the words "'87 Saints" should make you smile and give you chills. If you are under 35, you might be thinking, "I hear the '87 Saints mentioned all the time by my family, friends, old farts on CSC, and announcers. I know it was the first winning season in team history but besides that I really have no idea."

We are here to give a history lesson, laughs, and enough You Tube videos that you should bookmark this article and use it to waste ALL your time at work today. Hans seriously outdid himself. The man dug up gold people. GOLD.

I love history, and people who don't know it always frustrate me. The 1987 Saints were awesome in ways that will make you rethink everything you thought you know about Jim Mora. The 1987 season will also shatter a couple of stories you've heard from Dad or Grandpa.
Good read so far. With it being the off season and not much news going on, this is a perfect time for a history lesson on our Saints.

I was not a Saints fan or a football fan at all until about 1989, so I wasn't able to be a part of this miracle season unfortunately. Maybe some of the older Saints fans can chime in and give your thoughts on what this season meant to you and to the Who Dat Nation.

This is a 4 part story. He will post chapter 1 tomorrow. I will be sure to add the link to the thread tomorrow.

I was ten years old then. It seemed like the whole city was captivated by the Saints. One of the things I remember most is the Saints songs played on the radio that season. A take off of the Monkeys song "I'm a believer" being my favorite lol. I've been hooked on the Saints ever since even tho my family and I moved to Florida in 1988. I also remember the running of Dalton Hilliard. Seemed like he had moves on top of moves.

Another song popular on the radio that season was "Saints Go All The Way." It was sung to the tune of girl-groups during the Motown era. Very Supremes-like, if I remember right.

I count myself a fan since 1982, the first full NFL season I remember as a kid. I remember watching 1983 unfold -- the birth of the Who Dat song, the unfortunate finale vs. the Rams when Bum didn't let Morten try a long one (watched that one at my grandparents house). It was around that time my grandfather -- a longtime oilfield worker -- began to say he could gather up a bunch of iron workers and field a team that could beat the Saints. In those days, he was right :) But 1987 was special because it was the first time I can remember watching the Saints with full confidence that they'd win a game no matter how they started. Of course, the old Carl Smith offense looks downright prehistoric compared to Payton's Machine. But it still brings tears to think of that magical season.

Another song popular on the radio that season was "Saints Go All The Way." It was sung to the tune of girl-groups during the Motown era. Very Supremes-like, if I remember right.

I count myself a fan since 1982, the first full NFL season I remember as a kid. I remember watching 1983 unfold -- the birth of the Who Dat song, the unfortunate finale vs. the Rams when Bum didn't let Morten try a long one (watched that one at my grandparents house). It was around that time my grandfather -- a longtime oilfield worker -- began to say he could gather up a bunch of iron workers and field a team that could beat the Saints. In those days, he was right :) But 1987 was special because it was the first time I can remember watching the Saints with full confidence that they'd win a game no matter how they started. Of course, the old Carl Smith offense looks downright prehistoric compared to Payton's Machine. But it still brings tears to think of that magical season.

Yup you're right about the song. I have that one on my ipod. I wish I could find "I'm a believer".

The I'm a believer song was done by some old buddies of mine Larry Mancuso , George Neyrey and Randy V , It got updated a coulpe yrs back by some more friends in Weatherd . here's a link to the orig.
BLAST FROM THE PAST - I'M A BELIEVER - YouTube
The I believe was done by Irma Thomas and produced by Gary Edwards

I'll never ever forget that season, getting more and more excited every week.

I watched the season on TV in MS, but I'd love to hear from you folks what it was like in the city, and in the Dome.

I've been a Saints fan since the first kickoff in team history and there weren't too many magical seasons until 2006.

I will say that the first winning season could qualify but then I remember what happened in the playoffs and it sent that little magic act packing quick fast and in a hurry!!

'87 was my first year as a Saints fan. I graduated from Military School outside Chicago where I had been a Bears fan through their Super Bowl Shuffle era. I moved to Baton Rouge for college where we would sit around playing cards and watching the game in the frat house on Sundays. The team and streak quickly consumed us all and when I won tickets to a game in one of our card games, I was hooked.

I remember when they beat the Steelers that year to get to 9 wins Stan Brock and Dave Waymer were in tears. They were the last players left from the 1-15 season.

I remember seeing a car around the westbank, old sled like a '71 Fury or something. It was painted black and gold and had Saints stuff spray painted all over it. Across the back was "GO SAITS" Only in NO.

Wow! So many great memories from that season. The Dome Patrol. The goal line stand against Pittsburg to secure the team's first winning season. The win in SF against Montana on a late Morten Andersen FG. RTA buses with signs on the side that read "AINTSNOMO." I slept on the parking lot of a Warehouse Records on Veterans to make sure I got tickets, and then endured the heartbreak of the playoff loss to Minn. Great time to be a Saints fan!

The worst thing about that season is that it ended with a lopsided Wildcard playoff loss to the 8-7 Minnesota Vikings. The Saints' regular season record was 12-3. The only difference between the 13-2 49ers who won the NFC West and the 12-3 Saints who were the Wildcard that season (replacement players played 3 games in place of the regulars) was one scab loss by the replacement Saints (dubbed the <B>Saint Elsewheres</B> after the popular TV show of the time by the press) who went 2-1 when the replacement 49ers went undefeated at 3-0. The nickname for the 49ers scab team, by the way, was Phony-Niners.

On the good side (if there was a good side), the Vikings went on to eliminate the 49ers in the Divisional round.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom