Who 'Dat vs who dey {merged} (1 Viewer)

Euthan

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
This has been bugging me off and on for some time now. I'm sure you all know our beloved "Who 'Dat" cheer. I've always been under the impression that was unique to New Orleans. However, sometime in the recent past the Bangles started chanting "Who 'Dey?" printing it on their towels etc. Is this cheer more universal than I realized, or do I have reason to be a lil' ticked off?

There is a thread on the old board about this. The history is a bit murky, but it looks like both teams started the cheer around the same time. It's hard to tell who started it first, but it does not look like either team's fans "stole" it from the other teams' fans.

174.jpg

Who Dey doesn't sound cool, Who Dat is cool, advantage Saints

I could be wrong, but I remember hearing Who Dat in the 70's/80's. Maybe it was just my family..dunno. And yeah, Cha Ching. LOL!
Who Dey is just no right.

Hell, I remember "Faith, Hope, and Bum".

I was the one who started the old thread...LOL.

Comes from living in AFC north territory and having to argue with Bengals fans.

I thought it was decided that Who Dat goes back to the war of 1812!

I believe the "official wisdom" is that the Who Dat cheer is older than Who Dey, but that is because Who Dat pre-dates the Saints, being a high school cheer heard around New Orleans (conventional wisdom says it started first at .St. Aug.) since at least the 1940's, possibly earlier. Fans didn't really start using it for the Saints until the late 70s (again, by conventional wisdom), but that was a couple of years earlier than the Begals fans started up Who Dey c. 1980. There's no evidence of actual plagiarism, but it seems likely (to me, anyway) that some one who lived in New Orleans at some time moved to Cincinatti and either by choice or bad memory adapted the cheer to a team there, might have been directly to the Begals or might have been to his high school team. Who knows? Still, the fact is that Who Dat way pre-dates Who Dey just as it way pre-dates the Saints.

WHO DAT!!!!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom