Who Do We Draft in The 1st Round Now? (3 Viewers)

With what cap space? Loomis has already basically told us not to expect Bushrod back! He will expect a big contract for a Left Tackle. We cannot afford that! I don't see why this is hard to understand...?

I see this said all the time...but not once have I read a quote suggesting that. I think that it has become assumed fact at this time. Please prove me wrong.

I need to look at Bushrod's contract. Can he be either tendered, or franchised next season?

With what cap space? Loomis has already basically told us not to expect Bushrod back! He will expect a big contract for a Left Tackle. We cannot afford that! I don't see why this is hard to understand...?
I am aware of the cap space currently, but also know they will cut players and restructure contracts creating space to sign and resign players. I'm usually pretty good about catching important info like that but may have missed this. When did loomis say that Bushrod would not be resigned? That is unlike him to show his hand so early about where their intentions are concerning a player.

I think that we'll be fine with Akeim Hicks at Strongside DE and back up NT.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D3r5wdAeNI0?list=UUxRsXERvbmRk_OYwHbiHeIQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe> (courtesy of citysaint)

His length and athleticism are too enticing to not have on the field at all times and this would allow us to have both he and bunkley at the line simultaneously.. I think that he'll also have more opportunities Rush the passer at DE than he would at NT. A DE that can Bull Rush, collapse the pocket and rush the passer like Haloti Ngata can really help us control the line of scrimmage and the running game.

If we pick up william gholston later we could also have a nice backup on either side who is similar to Brett Keisel.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/queHvS6bXV4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

I see this said all the time...but not once have I read a quote suggesting that. I think that it has become assumed fact at this time. Please prove me wrong.

I need to look at Bushrod's contract. Can he be either tendered, or franchised next season?

Salary cap to be huge challenge for Saints | Saints | The Advocate

Loomis has acknowledged publicly several times that brining Bushrod back will be "tough". As GMs go he is usually open with us. When he thunks a deal will get done (Drew) he tells us not to worry. He is not making those noises about Bushrod. My hunch is that he suspects Bushrod's agent will be seeking a deal way above what the Saints would be prepared to pay, hence the "market value"comment. Right now I really don't see Bushrod coming back.

Don't forget Cassillas.

I think that cassillas has as much of an opportunity to start inside in a 3-4 as Lofton and Hawthorne.

I wouldn't be surprised if our starters were Wilson and Cassillas when the dust settles. I've always thought that Cassillas was more of an ILLB in a 3-4.
I think Cassillas will likely play mlb as a back up, possible starter. I think Wilson get the rush OLB position. Wilson is the perfect rush outside LB for the 3-4 system, size and athletic ability.

I think Braylon Broughton might actually benefit from the move to the 3-4 opposite Cameron Jordan

I think Cassillas will likely play mlb as a back up, possible starter. I think Wilson get the rush OLB position. Wilson is the perfect rush outside LB for the 3-4 system, size and athletic ability.

The problem with wilson as a rush olb in the 3-4 is that he struggles to disengage blocks. Always has since college, and i think that he'll struggle to set the edge in the pro 3-4.

This is why i loved him as a weakside guy in a 4-3 and prefer him as an inside coverage/rover type linebacker in the 3-4. Whatever gets him playing and rushing in space clean of blockers is where he is best suited IMO.

Can you imagine how awesome it would be for us to get Jarvis Jones now? Man o man.

If I were the saints. I would mortgaging draft picks and 4-3 players like Will Smith to try and get Jones and Teo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm excited to see the direction we go in terms of shaping this new 3-4 Defense in NO..we wanted the Dome Patrol back looks like we will be looking for the players to do so. There will be plenty of hybrid players to draft throughout the draft and the Saints have shown the ability to find players in later rounds who have the same measurables as the first round "name" players.

NT, OLB seem to be the biggest needs right now, we have players on the roster who can play end for us already in Hicks, Johnson, Walker (udfa) and Jordan.

I'm excited to see the direction we go in terms of shaping this new 3-4 Defense in NO..we wanted the Dome Patrol back looks like we will be looking for the players to do so. There will be plenty of hybrid players to draft throughout the draft and the Saints have shown the ability to find players in later rounds who have the same measurables as the first round "name" players.

NT, OLB seem to be the biggest needs right now, we have players on the roster who can play end for us already in Hicks, Johnson, Walker (udfa) and Jordan.

I think we will mostly look at OLB and safety and CB. NT isnt as demanding as many make it sound. I watched Crennel coach his 3-4 with a terrible front 3. The best was Dorsey who did OK after the first year of the scheme switch. That defense was good too. If it wasn't for the offense constantly putting the defense in bad spots every week it would have been a top 15 defense for sure. But Crennel relied heavily on the back 8.

Can you imagine how awesome it would be for us to get Jarvis Jones now? Man o man.

If I were the saints. I would mortgaging draft picks and 4-3 players like Will Smith to try and get Jones and Teo.

I know that im in the minority here on Jones and mingo but im not interested in either.

Jones has short arms to disengage against NFL caliber tackles, isn't very fluid in coverage and is undersized at 240 and isnt overly fast. Much of playing Outside Linebacker in the pros in a 3-4 is hand fighting guard and Tackles and im just not sure that jones will be anywhere near as dominant on the next level.

Salary cap to be huge challenge for Saints | Saints | The Advocate

Loomis has acknowledged publicly several times that brining Bushrod back will be "tough". As GMs go he is usually open with us. When he thunks a deal will get done (Drew) he tells us not to worry. He is not making those noises about Bushrod. My hunch is that he suspects Bushrod's agent will be seeking a deal way above what the Saints would be prepared to pay, hence the "market value"comment. Right now I really don't see Bushrod coming back.

Luckily the way our offensive line is built from the inside out rather outside in, so it gives us a little wiggle room when it comes to his replacement, doesn't have to be a high caliber tackle necessarily. Plus with the offensive sets we run with WR/TE chip blocking and sometimes bringing in an extra eligible tackle. So I don't see LT being as important as a defensive playmaker. There should be plenty decent LT on the FA market this year.

In the first round, I think our order has to be something as follow:

1. Jarvis Jones/Barkevious Mingo
2. Dion Jordan
3. Eric Fisher
4. Kenny Vaccaro
5. Jonathan Hankins

There is also a chance that Star Lotulelei could fall near our pick, maybe somewhere 10-14. He might also draw consideration.

Let's assume we get a pass-rushing OLB in the first round. In the third round, I would take Brandon Williams. He's very nimble for a man his size, plays with good power and leverage, and would be an ideal 3-4 NT.

I think some of us are overstating the importance of a 3-4 NT. Do not get me wrong, you have to have one. But those guys are easier to find. The challenge, however, is finding a player who can play the 5-tech. Those guys are more coveted. Luckily for us, we have two players who can do this in Cam Jordan and Akiem Hicks. The thing with Hicks is that he can also play NT for you in a pinch.

Kawann Short is another player who comes to mind as a potential selection at NT. Thing is, I see him going around the middle part of round 2. Assuming we get our second rounder back, and I think we will, then I would prefer taking a CB/WR in that position (like Jordan Poyer or Desmond Trufant or DeAndre Hopkins or Tavon Austin) in that spot. We can then draft a NT like Williams in the third.

Now, those plans would change if a top first round talent like Manti Te'O dropped into the second. Then, I would take Te'O as the value would be hard to pass up at that point. You can always take Williams in the third and go WR in the fourth with a speed guy like Markus Wheaton, though he might be gone. Da'Rick Rogers is also another guy to keep an eye on. He has Julio Jones talent but his off-the-field antics will drop him in to the third round unless some team overlooks his character concerns.

In the first round, I think our order has to be something as follow:

1. Jarvis Jones/Barkevious Mingo
2. Dion Jordan
3. Eric Fisher
4. Kenny Vaccaro
5. Jonathan Hankins

There is also a chance that Star Lotulelei could fall near our pick, maybe somewhere 10-14. He might also draw consideration.

Let's assume we get a pass-rushing OLB in the first round. In the third round, I would take Brandon Williams. He's very nimble for a man his size, plays with good power and leverage, and would be an ideal 3-4 NT.

I think some of us are overstating the importance of a 3-4 NT. Do not get me wrong, you have to have one. But those guys are easier to find. The challenge, however, is finding a player who can play the 5-tech. Those guys are more coveted. Luckily for us, we have two players who can do this in Cam Jordan and Akiem Hicks. The thing with Hicks is that he can also play NT for you in a pinch.

Kawann Short is another player who comes to mind as a potential selection at NT. Thing is, I see him going around the middle part of round 2. Assuming we get our second rounder back, and I think we will, then I would prefer taking a CB/WR in that position (like Jordan Poyer or Desmond Trufant or DeAndre Hopkins or Tavon Austin) in that spot. We can then draft a NT like Williams in the third.

Now, those plans would change if a top first round talent like Manti Te'O dropped into the second. Then, I would take Te'O as the value would be hard to pass up at that point. You can always take Williams in the third and go WR in the fourth with a speed guy like Markus Wheaton, though he might be gone. Da'Rick Rogers is also another guy to keep an eye on. He has Julio Jones talent but his off-the-field antics will drop him in to the third round unless some team overlooks his character concerns.

The pass rushing OLB's availible at 15 are really flawed... Mingo 5 starts/D. Jordan no real position/J. Jones no work ethic not a student of the game??? Sonds like we should address the position in later rounds! Front 3 on 3-4 makes everyones job easier! NT sets the tone!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom