Votes: 106 43.8%
  • Sedrick Ellis

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • Kenny Phillips

Votes: 31 12.8%
  • Calais Campbell

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
I know we've needed a top flight CB and S for over 10 years but we're just not getting pressure from our D-Line which in turn helps the secondary more than most would like to admit. If Ellis is there at # 10, I think we have to take him. Then we need to get the best S or CB in round 2. then go with LB in rounds 3 & 4.

There are so many holes in our defense that there is no way to realistically predict what we will do. We could pick up 3 defensive players in FA like Albert Hainsworth who I could see taking a chance on for at least one year, Asante Samuel who would have to be made a priority like we did with Drew Brees and just beat any offer with creative structuring, and then maybe Lance Briggs or Vilma depending on Vilma's injury. You may be able to put Marcus Trufant in there instead of Samuel but we could even opt for both. Something must be done to adress this area. Then we'd be looking to go DT, S and LB in the draft.

I voted Laurinaitis. Linebackers make the biggest impact as rookies. We've needed a MLB and long term impact player on defense. We should focus our free agency attention on our secondary, specifically cornerback. Found a mock draft where I'll be ecstatic if we picked this way

10. New Orleans Saints: James Laurinaitis ILB (Ohio State) - The Saints really lack a big time playmaking linebacker that can unite the defense and be a leader. "The little animal" is an absolute tackling machine and can do just that for New Orleans.

41. New Orleans Saints: Terrell Thomas CB (USC) - Jason David got burned on way too many occasions this season, and aside from Mike McKenzie, their corner situation looks pretty weak. It's too early to tell which round two corners will be off the board first at this point, but right now Thomas seems to be the frontrunner.

http://www.draft32.com/viewpage.php?page_id=140

Hopefully Larinaitis is still there at #10....

Hopefully Larinaitis is still there at #10....

My question with Larinaitis is will he be more like AJ Hawk or Andy Katzenmoyer? He makes me a little nervous but so did AJ Hawk and he turned out well. I think Larinaitis is a great player but lets see how he does in the BCS title game.

My question with Larinaitis is will he be more like AJ Hawk or Andy Katzenmoyer? He makes me a little nervous but so did AJ Hawk and he turned out well. I think Larinaitis is a great player but lets see how he does in the BCS title game.

I'm looking forward to that game too. I want him to do well, but not well enough to go before #10.... ;)

There are some mock drafts that have him in the #7- #10 range and others have him in the mid to late first round.

There are some mock drafts that have him in the #7- #10 range and others have him in the mid to late first round.

Yep...the Bengals & Pats I bet would love to have him and they pick before the Saints do...here's another guy to keep an eye on: Vernon Gholston, he plays for OSU, and is compared a lot to Will Smith. I've seen a few mocks with Gholston going from 10-15. Plus there's a nice read on Laurinaitis in this article:

"Whether I have 13 sacks or one sack, I try to play hard within the scheme of the defense and win games," said Gholston, whose 13 sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss eclipse the numbers put up by Dorsey (six sacks, 11 TFLs). "You take pride in the defense. The guys in previous years have established that for us."

Gholston, the Big Ten's defensive lineman of the year, often finds himself compared to former All-America end Will Smith, now playing with the New Orleans Saints.

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080103/SPORTS04/801030330/1006/SPORTS

Everyone wants a guy who says he isn't even declaring.

I've heard a few people bandying about the possibility of Grant moving inside to DT...

Well, what do people think of Grant at DT alongside Thomas, and having Gholston and Smith as our ends?

Not my preferred scenario, but it's just a thought I thought I'd float...

My preference would be Sedrick Ellis...penetration up the middle makes Grant and Smith both better, and better pressure makes our secondary look much much better...not a complete solution, more parts would be needed, but I think DL and OL are more important than skill positions (except QB, and possibly CB)

I've heard a few people bandying about the possibility of Grant moving inside to DT...

Well, what do people think of Grant at DT alongside Thomas, and having Gholston and Smith as our ends?

My preference would be Sedrick Ellis...penetration up the middle makes Grant and Smith both better, and better pressure makes our secondary look much much better...not a complete solution, more parts would be needed, but I think DL and OL are more important than skill positions (except QB, and possibly CB)

Hmmmm...an interesting thought!

Ellis or Laurenitis. Which ever is available. Our CB situation will get a LOT better with a better pass rush and run defense. CB is like WR, it's the shine or shun position, but it really depends on the trenches to make you shine.

That is an interesting thought. Grant might not like it (not as much star power inside), but it does make sense with his size...

I selected Larinaitis. I think he upgrades the run defense, and pass defense immediately. I think we had problems blitzing because our LB's couldn't cover the flats effectively. Think Rams game. Teams were able to check down we we did have coverage in the secondary and convert. It frees our Safeties to run more cover 2. A CB would be great, but I think MLB, is the bigger need. Hopefully McKenzie and Young are our starter CB's next year.

Gholston and Colston on the same team.

ESPN already can't get our players' names right, God knows how they'd butcher this. ;)

This sounds great to me. One thing that can be said about Grant is that he is great against the run but we need a pass rush. Grant and HT with Smith and new pass rusher sounds like a great idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom